PDA

View Full Version : Rotate lens = no flower hood??

kingfisher29
24-07-2010, 11:07pm
hi,

I have been looking on ebay for a flower hood, but then i've notice they all say it's screw on to your existing filter/barrel, then it has got me thinking because the my lens rotates as i turn the focus ring.

does that means i can't get one?? or there are hoods out there has a different way to mount them??

arthurking83
25-07-2010, 12:01am
For which lens?

both your lenses should have come with a lens hood.

if you're thinking of replacing the 70-300 lens with a petal type, I wouldn't bother too much with it.

Are you getting a lot of vignetting at 70mm?(you shouldn't be)

kingfisher29
25-07-2010, 12:31am
i only have the kit lens atm, they are 18-55 & 70-300

the 70-300 does comes with a full hood, so far is fine, however the 18-55 doesn't come with any hood, it keeps me wondering why...and that's one of the reason i started looking for one. but if the lens rotates during focusing, it will lose the point of having a flower hood

RaoulIsidro
25-07-2010, 9:30am
The 18-55mm does not provide an attachment for a lens hood on the main lens barrel, but it does have provisions for one on the secondary zooming lens barrel, it sadly rotates during focusing and the petal design may not apply, even if you find a petal hood. A full ring hood may be usefull, as it is constant in shape, if you can find one that can fit.
This kit lens is a great macro lens, superb in rendering sharpness and colour saturation at close ups of up to 1/4 of a metre.

kingfisher29
25-07-2010, 10:17pm
The 18-55mm does not provide an attachment for a lens hood on the main lens barrel, but it does have provisions for one on the secondary zooming lens barrel, it sadly rotates during focusing and the petal design may not apply, even if you find a petal hood. A full ring hood may be usefull, as it is constant in shape, if you can find one that can fit.
This kit lens is a great macro lens, superb in rendering sharpness and colour saturation at close ups of up to 1/4 of a metre.

it seems like the only way for me is to get a full hood for my 18-55mm

and I do agree with you on this one, the 18-55 is fantastic on taking close up objects, not bad a for a kit lens.

but i do want a 50mm f1.4 hehehe:D

RaoulIsidro
27-07-2010, 7:45pm
it seems like the only way for me is to get a full hood for my 18-55mm

and I do agree with you on this one, the 18-55 is fantastic on taking close up objects, not bad a for a kit lens.

but i do want a 50mm f1.4 hehehe:D

This is the one you are looking for:
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod625.htm
Cheers!

I @ M
27-07-2010, 7:50pm
This is the one you are looking for:
http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod625.htm
Cheers!

I think that you will find that the OP needs a Nikon lens hood, not a Canon

I @ M
27-07-2010, 7:55pm
Kenneth, select whether you want a petal or round hood here (http://www.lenshoods.co.uk/hoods/Nikon-AF-S-Zoom-Nikkor-18-55mm-f-3.5-5.6-G-IF-ED.php) and make your own ----

RaoulIsidro
27-07-2010, 8:58pm
I think that you will find that the OP needs a Nikon lens hood, not a Canon

Ayayay! Too right!:beer_mug: