PDA

View Full Version : Changing ISP's

dbax
08-07-2010, 11:39am
after years of talking about it and a little daunted by the prospect of having to reset and reconfigure the computer and router, I finally did it:D.
Bye bye Bigpond hello Internode.
400% download increase and $20 cheaper per month. Hopefully thats the end of being "shaped" to dialup speed for a while, but with three teens in the house........?
A few hours off line yesterday and just a few minor changes in the router and we are up and running. Quite easy really, much less messing about than I'd imagined. I don't even have to change my email addy.
Happy Days:D:D:D:D

Watchamacallit
08-07-2010, 11:49am
Nice - Internode is soooo much better than Bigpond. Well...almost anything is better than Bigpond (took ages to get my dad off it...UGH!). Nice that they service your area :)

mercho
08-07-2010, 12:10pm
Good stuff David, its not too hard to do is it;) Bigpond's plans are utter rubbish, im with TPG and they have been great from day 1!

I wonder how many other people stick with their ISP due to unwillingness to change their router settings?

rellik666
08-07-2010, 12:13pm
I wish I had the choice! Have only just got broadband after 4 years!

Roo

Kym
08-07-2010, 12:19pm
Do what a lot of us do and buy a domain name.
(maybe via http://www.godaddy.com/)

Then set up email redirects from your email to where ever you want it.

Say you buy dbax.net then set up david@dbax.net wife@dbax.net teen1@dbax.net which all redirect to their mailboxes, including the teens hotmail/gmail.

You never have to worry about ISP's every again.

Further you can create photography@dbax.net and have rules in you mail client to split those messages off into their own folder.

Kym
08-07-2010, 12:22pm
What your Email says about you...

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/email_address

@yourowndomain vs @gmail vs @hotmail vs @yahoo vs @aol

One of mine is kym@ausphotography.net.au - which is uber kewl!! :p

:lol:

etherial
08-07-2010, 12:53pm
Internode rocks! I churned to them a few months ago, very happy.

scpleta
08-07-2010, 1:24pm
same here. i'm with internode and nothing worries me from day one.

joele
14-07-2010, 8:51pm
Firstly, I agree with buying a domain, for non business you can buy an american one (.com) or a personal australian one (.id.au).. It costs very little, I think the .id.au domain costs me $9 a year.

And good work leaving bigpond, I left many years ago as they just kept having down time that drove me mad. I went to iinet but Internode is great too.