PDA

View Full Version : Sony a7 mark 3 or a7 mark 4

Saph
19-06-2023, 10:05pm
Im looking at a new camera and have decided to swap from canon to sony due to the much bigger lens ecosystem that is out there and i cant decide if i want to go the mark 3 body or the new mark 4 one, so far im liking the mark 4 body since it has a much bigger buffer vs the mark 3 (i shoot alot of wildlife and transport so a good buffer is important for me and right now its painful on my current camera) so im throwing it out here, if you own one or both of these camera's please let me know what you like or dislike about them.

ameerat42
20-06-2023, 5:54am
Well, the buffer size sounds an important factor in your reckoning.

What is it in the different "bodies" that keeps you undecided?

Toddyh
20-06-2023, 8:17am
The only reason to go the 3 would be price. The 4 is better is almost every way. The biggest improvement for someone into wildlife will be the autofocus. Massive massive improvement.

I own an A7rii and A7riv. The IV is light years better. They both use pretty much the same sensor and if I work harder with the II I can get images of very similar quality but it's just harder work.

axle01
20-06-2023, 10:05am
I’ve got 3 Sonys one A7rii and 2 A7s, one of them modified for Astro.
I still have my Nikon D3s and lenses but very seldom use them, I sometimes use the Nikon lenses on the Sonys with an adapter.

Al

Saph
20-06-2023, 10:00pm
Well, the buffer size sounds an important factor in your reckoning.

What is it in the different "bodies" that keeps you undecided?

The card slots for the most part, the a7 3 is just sd cards while the a7 4 can use both sd cards or sd card and CFexpress, plus the usb c power delivery in the mark 4 is quite nice since i already own a compatible power bank for all my other stuff that i carry on photography trips and it means im not carrying around alot of extra batterys or the charger if i dont need to. And yea buffer is the most important factor since i do want to start doing some sports photography aswell and see if i can get some photos at the local archery range and right now the buffer on my camera fills way to fast for a fired arrow to be captured.

The only reason to go the 3 would be price. The 4 is better is almost every way. The biggest improvement for someone into wildlife will be the autofocus. Massive massive improvement.

I own an A7rii and A7riv. The IV is light years better. They both use pretty much the same sensor and if I work harder with the II I can get images of very similar quality but it's just harder work.

Yea im starting to lean more towards the mark 4 even tho the 3 is cheaper i would rather not have to work asmuch to make a good quality photo, i did see the autofocus is improved in some ways with the new body so that seems like another positive.

Saph
04-07-2023, 10:04am
Well decided to go the a7 3, mostly because it doesnt require godly expensive cards to run a good buffer when with the right sd cards i can get a fair amount of it anyways and it turns out it has the same power delivery abality as the mark 4 but wasnt listed in sonys specs as such.