PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday sales

pommyt
23-11-2022, 1:00pm
Has anyone found any good Black Friday sales, I have been looking and so far only things like $10 off

ameerat42
23-11-2022, 1:34pm
Sorry, Pommyt, but I can't help :o

I don't even know what Black Friday means - and care even less.

There was an AD on TV last night about a Bright Friday sale, but that's just saying...

Maybe that's why it's "Black" - you hardly get anything off. Plenty of GUFF though :rolleyes:

I've moved your thread to OOF, so you'll get a standard notification of the move,
but all good.

pommyt
23-11-2022, 2:11pm
Sorry, Pommyt, but I can't help :o

I don't even know what Black Friday means - and care even less.

There was an AD on TV last night about a Bright Friday sale, but that's just saying...

Maybe that's why it's "Black" - you hardly get anything off. Plenty of GUFF though :rolleyes:

I've moved your thread to OOF, so you'll get a standard notification of the move,
but all good.

The black Friday sales are the biggest sales evey year surprised there is anyone that has not heard about them.

ameerat42
23-11-2022, 4:15pm
No, I've heard of them, but I used to relate Black Friday to any
Friday the 13th. Then they seemed to have a BF sale every second...
- er, Friday, and that's when I got confused. I don't know how they
relate it to sales. It's just an import from overseas, AFAIK :confused013

pommyt
23-11-2022, 5:22pm
No, I've heard of them, but I used to relate Black Friday to any
Friday the 13th. Then they seemed to have a BF sale every second...
- er, Friday, and that's when I got confused. I don't know how they
relate it to sales. It's just an import from overseas, AFAIK :confused013

They are sales the day after Thanks Giving day, so initially an American thing but now world wide. You often get things at 25% off and up to 50% off online. I am hoping to find a good deal on a few lenes or maybe even a new body. I have not found anything good yet but officially the sales do not start until tomorrow so fingers crossed I find something during the weekend

Tannin
23-11-2022, 10:22pm
Mostly, the value on offer is far from compelling. I have to wonder at the logic behind them (if any).

Example. Last night I was about to put in an order for guitars strings from my favourite US dealer. Typically I buy $150 worth at a time as this saves on postage and (so long as you don't open the packet) they last for a long time so there is no reason not to buy in bulk. It was getting late and Mrs Tannin was ready for bed, so I decided to do it in the morning. And come the morning, there is an email in my in-box - 15% off. Fine by me!

So the retailer ended up getting the exact same order I was going to place anyway, and getting 15% less for it. At typical retail margin, 15% is 30% to 50% of the gross, or probably 75% of the net profit in a sale. Did they really gain anything?

jim
24-11-2022, 2:24am
At B&H you can get $1000 0ff a Nikon Z7. I'm assuming that is the old version, and with the Aussie dollar now being worth approx. 5ยข, it's perhaps not quite as good as it sounds.

pommyt
24-11-2022, 11:09pm
yes .......would not be worth getting from the US IMHO

Tannin
25-11-2022, 9:52am
B&H are good to deal with and they tell you exactly what the total cost of your order is going to be (including freight and GST) before you press the button.

bitsnpieces
27-11-2022, 12:42am
Do they ship from America?

Or do we have a local B&H here?

ricktas
27-11-2022, 7:59am
The black Friday sales are the biggest sales evey year surprised there is anyone that has not heard about them.

Its a USA thing that is starting to take off here. I think the stock take sales late June tend to have better discounts.

However I also think a lot are getting very jaded about these 'sales'. Oh I got a new phone and saved $300.00. How much was the phone $900. So you didn't save $300 at all, you spent $900.

People are starting to realise the marketing around these sales is not really saving them anything. We were talking about it at work, and no-one was planning to buy anything in the black friday sales.

Tannin
27-11-2022, 8:47am
Yes, bitsnpeices, B&H ship from New York to anywhere in the world. When shopping for something it is always worth checking B&H. Often the total price works out about the same as buying from somewhere in Oz, sometimes it is more, and sometimes it is quite a bit less. Flash cards are one thing I usually buy from B&H because in Australia you get cheap E-bay and Amazon fakes (avoid at all costs!) on the one hand, and good quality, genuine products but seriously overpriced on the other. I also bought my 5DS R from B&H. $1500 USD! (Plus shipping and GST.) What an incredible bargain! (And no, there are none left.)

So put your favourite two or three Australian retailers on your list to check when you are shopping, and put B&H on it to.