PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all

PaulW
24-10-2021, 5:56pm
Hello everyone,

I found this website whilst looking for information on cameras. I would like to say thanks for all the information on here that I will be going through.

I don't have a camera yet but I am currently researching and hoping to purchase one in the next couple of weeks or so. Photography is a hobby that I have always had an interest in doing and I look forward to starting. I will keep watching videos and reading forums to try and make some kind of informed decision. I'm not going to get too caught up in getting the "perfect camera" now as I know I will have fun with whatever I buy. I love landscapes and expect that will be my main focus. Lakes, rivers, forests, beaches etc. I don't blog or record myself so that isn't important, although it would be nice to take quality video of my family.

My list so far is;
Mirrorless
Price around $1000-$1500
Nikon, Canon or Sony
Not too bulky or heavy
Good battery life etc.

Look forward to going through your posts.

Cheers,
Paul

ameerat42
24-10-2021, 6:40pm
Welcome to AP, Paul. It sounds like a good approach for deciding on a camera.

In the meantime, don't forget you most probably have a late smart-phone with
an in-built camera. Some of these can be good stand-bys for those snaps and
videos so that you don't miss the action. Sure, you are limited to (mostly) fixed
focus and jpeg-only output, but for video, there's often 1080p recording.

AP welcomes phone cam imagery as well as that from "conventional" cameras.
It's a valid way to practise photography, and poses its own challenges to the
photographer.

Mary Anne
24-10-2021, 7:11pm
Hello Paul and Welcome to AP sounds like a good plan. So will look forward to seeing what you decide on.

PaulW
24-10-2021, 11:01pm
Hi guys, I have decided to go with a Canon EOS M50 Mark II with kit lens 15-45 for my first camera, Im hoping it is an ok camera to get me started. Best price I found so far is $890 delivered.

ameerat42
25-10-2021, 5:42am
That sounds reasonable. The lens (https://www.canon.com.au/camera-lenses/ef-m-15-45mm-f-3-5-6-3-is-stm)
has image stabilisation (IS), and is of a "modestly wide" to "normal" 3X zoom focal range. You should be fairly well
served for landscapes.

I notice that another kit adds a 55-200 lens, but yours is a good start. It should give you a better idea of what
telephoto/zoom features you might want in future.

ricktas
25-10-2021, 6:26pm
Welcome and good starting kit. Now to get it, get out and practice. The more you use it, and learn from the mistakes, post here and ask questions etc, the faster you will learn.