PDA

View Full Version : New from Melbourne

Marsi
04-10-2021, 8:50pm
hi all

i am starting out all over again, after "losing" my equipment, so i will slowly be buying the kit i need to take wildlife, macro and some landscape photos

until then, my photos will be phone and go-pro

looking on the bright side, i get to plan a cohesive set (and we'll see how long that idea works ;) ).

cant wait to see your images and to learn some new stuff :)

cheers,
M.

Tannin
04-10-2021, 10:27pm
Hi Marsi, and welcome. It's a good community here, you will like it.

ameerat42
05-10-2021, 5:00am
Welcome to AP, Marsi.

ricktas
05-10-2021, 5:29am
Welcome aboard, see you round the forums.

Marsi
05-10-2021, 6:53pm
Thank you for the welcome :love4:

I hope I am doing this right - I've posted a thread so you can see one of my photos (untouched, except to reduce its size)
http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?167724-Sunset-Race

ameerat42
05-10-2021, 7:26pm
^ I just looked at that picture and commented there.

How come you're still "Beginner" "after losing your [previous] equipment"?

You sound like you know something about photography already.

Marsi
05-10-2021, 8:27pm
^ I just looked at that picture and commented there.

How come you're still "Beginner" "after losing your [previous] equipment"?

You sound like you know something about photography already.

Thanks.

While I have a knack for seeing a picture (I paint) and used to own a camera with one lens, I have zero experience with Photoshop type editing software, so there is a massive learning curve ahead of me there!

I was uncertain whether to choose beginner or intermediate, so I checked the definitions.

Intermediate:
- Is proficient at photography and editing. Who has a reasonable level of understanding of their camera, settings, lens selection, composition, and lighting techniques.
I have zero editing experience, except for cropping and resizing images. I can take a photo but I have only ever owned one lens (that I bought with a second-hand camera). I have a rough theoretical knowledge of settings. Composition is relatively easy - I paint.
- Able to produce good quality photos reasonably consistently, however, the results are occasionally not as envisaged.
Subjective, I hover between being super critical of my images and loving them ... my current favourite was taken jumping backwards onto the couch and taking a photo as I landed - there was no vision but the experience is fun :). Having never edited to change the colour and highlighting, I am intrigued and impressed by the changes I can see here in photos (but have never tried it myself).

if you think I should sit around intermediate, just for my composition skills, I will count that as a compliment and change my status :)

*edited for clarity - the quotes are in green

Mary Anne
06-10-2021, 9:48am
Hello Marsi and Welcome to AP. It’s a great place to learn you will get help with editing PS I don’t know much either.
Nothing better than the camera you have on you and mobile phones take great photos I post images on here from my little iPhone.
Seems you know a lot about Forums so that’s a bonus, so enjoy your time here.
If you need Help ask, and do comment on other Members posts, as that’s what makes Forums Work :nod:

bitsnpieces
07-10-2021, 10:58pm
Hi Marsi and welcome to AP
Great having another Melbournian

And don't worry, I'm a newbie and got bumped to advanced all of a sudden XD

Intermediate isn't too bad :P

Marsi
08-10-2021, 2:32pm
Hi David!

Another Melbournian - fabulous!

Hopefully we will be able to start getting out and about to photograph outside the home range (and gather!) soon :)

Thank you Mary Anne - I might need to pick your brains on how to use my phone camera a little more effectively!

I would be very grateful for any pointers, or suggestions for good camera software for the phone :)