PDA

View Full Version : Photographer sues video game maker

ricktas
20-06-2021, 4:24pm
Interesting read. Especially when you get to the part about their data breach revealing they had the photographer's files on their systems.

https://www.rangefinderonline.com/news-features/industry-news/photographer-suing-video-giant-capcom-for-12m/

ameerat42
20-06-2021, 4:35pm
How brazen!:rolleyes:

richtbw
22-06-2021, 2:58pm
Always somebody lurking in the shadows.

Glenda
23-06-2021, 6:40am
Hope she wins.

bitsnpieces
24-06-2021, 10:40pm
Saw this not long ago

Definitely interesting

They say their filenames were the same as hers.

Thinking about that, in my case, when I upload an image online, I have a different filename, to help me sort out what I'm uploading, and for SEO reasons, I guess.
So if Capcom stole it via downloading images from online, then not possible to have the exact filenames on my PC, as in, my original copies and not the uploaded copies.
Unless that's what they're referring to.

Or she uses the same filename for herself, and online uploads.

Or are they talking about the TIFF files available in the CD and book? Obviously if they've extracted it from that, then they've purchased her product.
So the question is whether they got the commercial license to use it.

Benefit of the doubt, they probably did, she's just hoping it's been so long now, she can cash in on something and hopefully none the wiser.
Kinda like the Vietnam and China sea issue. China says Vietnam gave them that sovereignty and has the documents to prove, Vietnam says it's fake and they never did.

Or perhaps Eastern culture in terms of copyright is different to Western culture, and this difference has perhaps just screwed Capcom.

Or Capcom is simply doing a dodgy and hoping to get away with it.

Am I overthinking it? I don't know... but with the way a lot of things are going at the moment, false accusations of this and that, everyone looking for easy cash grabs, I'm sitting on the fence for this one. lol

Either way, someone will win, and someone will lose. Unfortunately, there are never 2 winners, unless it's school and everyone wins...

farmmax
25-06-2021, 12:41am
It was interesting reading thank you. I would have thought any big company would be well aware of their copyright obligations and make very sure they were not breaking copyright in any of their productions.

Lance B
26-06-2021, 11:43am
File names the same as hers? How convenient that the file names were the same as hers and just happened to be similar or the same photo. *That's* what I call some coincidence!