PDA

View Full Version : .... and the winner is !!?

bobt
30-12-2020, 12:03pm
Just as you thought this world couldn't get any crazier, the annual Gallup poll of Americans has revealed the most admired man for 2020 - in the whole world!

Barack Obama has won it for the last 12 years, but the new winner is ..... Donald Trump !!!

Just goes to prove that stupidity is far more contagious than Covid! :lol:

jim
30-12-2020, 1:05pm
I believe the incumbent President usually wins. Perhaps he's the only famous person outside of the entertainment business that many people can think of.

Gazza
30-12-2020, 2:08pm
Just as you thought this world couldn't get any crazier, the annual Gallup poll of Americans has revealed the most admired man for 2020 - in the whole world!

Barack Obama has won it for the last 12 years, but the new winner is ..... Donald Trump !!!

Just goes to prove that stupidity is far more contagious than Covid! :lol:
You're not wrong there, Bob.

Glenda
01-01-2021, 7:25am
:confused013 Surely the poll was only conducted among his diehard fans.

bobt
01-01-2021, 7:47am

The full story is at https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/29/trump-gallup-most-admired-452126

"The incumbent president is usually top of mind when Gallup asks Americans to name, without prompting, which man living anywhere in the world they admire most. In the 74 times Gallup has asked the open-ended most admired man question since 1946, the incumbent president has topped the list 60 times. "

However, given that 70,000,000 seem to think Trump is their kind of guy all this poll does is confirm that there's something seriously wrong with the way Americans think.

The best explanation I've heard is that it's not a political issue at all - Trump supporters are in fact a cult, and cult followers respond on an emotional level rather than on a factual level.

There's another fascinating article here which makes a good read. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/26/americans-acceptance-of-trumps-behavior-will-be-his-vilest-legacy

jim
01-01-2021, 12:57pm
The full story is at https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/29/trump-gallup-most-admired-452126

"The incumbent president is usually top of mind when Gallup asks Americans to name, without prompting, which man living anywhere in the world they admire most. In the 74 times Gallup has asked the open-ended most admired man question since 1946, the incumbent president has topped the list 60 times. "

However, given that 70,000,000 seem to think Trump is their kind of guy all this poll does is confirm that there's something seriously wrong with the way Americans think.

The best explanation I've heard is that it's not a political issue at all - Trump supporters are in fact a cult, and cult followers respond on an emotional level rather than on a factual level.

There's another fascinating article here which makes a good read. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/26/americans-acceptance-of-trumps-behavior-will-be-his-vilest-legacy

Exactly so.

So the poll: You vote for this famous scientist, I vote for that philanthropist, and my wife, for reasons of her own, votes for David Boreanaz. Meanwhile a minority but solid core of cultists vote as a bloc for Trump and he wins.

bobt
01-01-2021, 1:41pm
Exactly so.

So the poll: You vote for this famous scientist, I vote for that philanthropist, and my wife, for reasons of her own, votes for David Boreanaz. Meanwhile a minority but solid core of cultists vote as a bloc for Trump and he wins.

All of which demonstrates one of the 2020 discoveries - that polls are in pretty much the same boat as statistics! Reasonably useless in a large number of situations.

America has revealed itself to be occupied by a very strange people, governed by very odd rules and with some very bizarre philosophies. :eek:

mudman
01-01-2021, 8:59pm

don't you mean dead fans Glenda?