PDA

View Full Version : The usual camera abuse

jamesmartin
26-10-2020, 4:09pm
Sooo my camera got a bit wet (fresh water). It's turning on now & a few dials are starting to work, hoping it will dry out a bit more & last the next 4 days. I've read putting it in a plastic bag with rice to draw out the moisture. Is this a good idea?

ameerat42
26-10-2020, 4:35pm
Rice? Maybe, but I don't know.

You want to dry it out as quickly and as gently as possible. For other electronic
equipment I have used fan heater on low at about 50 cm distance, then with just
fan and no heat much closer. Hair dryer with little to no heat also works but is
noisy. Recently, warmed air from a vacuum cleaner in the blowing out mode.

Moving dry air is about the best. If rice works, then OK, but I think it would take
rather longer, and that'd be no good.

jamesmartin
26-10-2020, 4:58pm
Rice? Maybe, but I don't know.

You want to dry it out as quickly and as gently as possible. For other electronic
equipment I have used fan heater on low at about 50 cm distance, then with just
fan and no heat much closer. Hair dryer with little to no heat also works but is
noisy. Recently, warmed air from a vacuum cleaner in the blowing out mode.

Moving dry air is about the best. If rice works, then OK, but I think it would take
rather longer, and that'd be no good.

Thanks mate, all ive got is the Utes fan so will give it some air. Think I'll have to invest in a decent raincoat for it & a spare camera

ameerat42
26-10-2020, 6:55pm
Oh, I guess you're in the field, then. My reply was somewhat for a domestic setting :o

jamesmartin
26-10-2020, 7:01pm
Oh, I guess you're in the field, then. My reply was somewhat for a domestic setting :o

Still helpful :th3:

ricktas
26-10-2020, 7:06pm
Yep rice, but not in a plastic bag as that lets the water stay in the mix.

Rice in a bucket, camera in, and more rice to cover. Leave it in there for a week. The rice will draw out the moisture. However, ongoing you risk internals rusting up and and eventually the camera failing. Did you have household insurance that covers accidents with equipment?

jamesmartin
26-10-2020, 8:25pm
Yep rice, but not in a plastic bag as that lets the water stay in the mix.

Rice in a bucket, camera in, and more rice to cover. Leave it in there for a week. The rice will draw out the moisture. However, ongoing you risk internals rusting up and and eventually the camera failing. Did you have household insurance that covers accidents with equipment?

Cheers Rick. Yeah I thought the plastic bag bit wasn't right. No no insurance