PDA

View Full Version : I have just been awarded $850,000...

nardes
30-06-2020, 3:14pm
It seems some philanthropic person, via an unsolicited e-mail, probably a Nigerian Prince, has awarded me a research grant of $850,000 due to my dedication to pursuing a vaccine for COVID-19.:)

I suppose if I reply, I could then fund a Canon 1DX Mk III, a brace of EOS R5's and a nice big white 600mm F4 L.:rolleyes:

Decisions, decisions; what should I do?:confused013

Cheers

Dennis

ameerat42
30-06-2020, 3:38pm
These actions:
:lol:
Un-solicitor>:lol2:<You
:efelant:/Un-solicitor (ie, place him beneath the dancing elephant.)
Write back an:devil1: email.
Increasingly less salubrious options :D

Tannin
30-06-2020, 3:51pm
It seems some philanthropic person, via an unsolicited e-mail, probably a Nigerian Prince, has awarded me a research grant of $850,000 due to my dedication to pursuing a vaccine for COVID-19.:)

I suppose if I reply, I could then fund a Canon 1DX Mk III, a brace of EOS R5's and a nice big white 600mm F4 L.:rolleyes:

Huh? Wait for the 5D V, of course.

nardes
30-06-2020, 4:08pm
Huh? Wait for the 5D V, of course.

Hi Tony

Sadly, I'm not sure that we might ever see a 5D Mk V, with the EOS R5 and R6 due imminently and the drop in demand for DSLRs....

Fingers crossed though.:)

Dennis

Tannin
30-06-2020, 4:20pm
All depends on whether Canon wants the money or not, Denis. Canon can't make a mirrorless camera that works as well as a 5D IV, and who is going to spend money on a downgrade? Certainly not me. I have the money, I'm happy to spend it. All they have to do is make a better 5D IV. Or a better 7D II. Or, of course, both.

Meanwhile, you have to figure out what to do with the rest of your $850,000.

My suggestion is to emulate Georgie Best who, on being asked why he was stony broke after once being the richest man in world soccer, said "Well, I spent three-quarters of my fortune on parties, grog, girls, and horse races, and I wasted the rest."

mudman
30-06-2020, 4:51pm

Cheers

Dennis

wake up your dreaming:chicken::chicken::chicken:

GrumpyD369
30-06-2020, 5:44pm
If you would like to invest in real estate, I have some prime land on Mud Island for you. The bridge should be built any day now :lol::lol:

ricktas
30-06-2020, 6:25pm
Just click my link and you will be in the money: :url: (https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/650/683/d36.jpg)

nardes
30-06-2020, 8:22pm
Just click my link and you will be in the money: :url: (https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/650/683/d36.jpg)

Hah thanks Rick - whilst the risk of that link being harmful is very, very, very small indeed....it is not zero.:)

Given that should the risk eventuate the consequences could be major, in keeping with that well worn phrase that "curiosity killed the cat", I will pass.;)

Cheers

Dennis

tandeejay
30-06-2020, 10:24pm
you should do a youtube search for James Veitch. He has some funny videos of his responses to scams :)

Glenda
01-07-2020, 6:47am
:lol: - get the money than hightail it to your lab and get us that vaccine.

Glenda
01-07-2020, 8:33am
you should do a youtube search for James Veitch. He has some funny videos of his responses to scams :)

Just had a few lol moments watching a couple of those videos.

nardes
01-07-2020, 9:47am
Hah thanks Rick - whilst the risk of that link being harmful is very, very, very small indeed....it is not zero.:)

Given that should the risk eventuate the consequences could be major, in keeping with that well worn phrase that "curiosity killed the cat", I will pass.;)

Cheers

Dennis

It goes without saying that I was not questioning the integrity of Rick, just that with today's "man-in-the-middle" attacks, "spoofing" and "social engineering" events, I could not be certain that a powerful state actor had somehow spoofed my thread in an attempt to claim my $850,000 windfall.:)

Me, paranoid - no way but I'll keep on wearing my Aluminium Foil hat, just in case.;)

Cheers

Dennis

Tannin
01-07-2020, 10:05am
Let me see if I've got this straight.

"A powerful state actor" (this is code for "China") is claiming the $850,000
The $850,000 is coming from Nigeria.
Nigeria, like every other not-so-rich country, is getting the money from China in exchange for ... well, basically in exchange for Nigeria, or at least all the good bits of it, such as the ports and airports and mines and factories and tourist districts. (This is called "belt and road". Nobody knows why, it just is.)

So, essentially, it's the modern circular economy in action. They are just getting their own money back. (Oh, and parts of Nigeria, of course.)

arthurking83
01-07-2020, 11:35am
Hey Dennis! .. it seems you were too late in your response to the Nigerian Prince.

They've offered it to me now, and I accepted their generous offer and plan to built a new COVID vaccine production facility .. resplendent with much Nikon glass and latest gen silicon chips in Nikon labelled black boxes.
It appears there was a sense of urgency to throw away all that money on a worthy cause ... make this donation.

Anyhow, I'll be sure to post some pics of the vaccines, once completed.
(bad luck mate ... apologies for barging in on your moment of glory, but the offer came prior to me reading this thread, and the check is already in the mail)

:D

Oh! and for scamming scammers, funniest videos on this topic comes from Joe Lycett(comedian) .. do a search for his routine on "Gemma" :th3:

nardes
01-07-2020, 2:54pm
Hey Dennis! .. it seems you were too late in your response to the Nigerian Prince.

They've offered it to me now, and I accepted their generous offer and plan to built a new COVID vaccine production facility .. resplendent with much Nikon glass and latest gen silicon chips in Nikon labelled black boxes.
It appears there was a sense of urgency to throw away all that money on a worthy cause ... make this donation.

Anyhow, I'll be sure to post some pics of the vaccines, once completed.
(bad luck mate ... apologies for barging in on your moment of glory, but the offer came prior to me reading this thread, and the check is already in the mail)

:D

Oh! and for scamming scammers, funniest videos on this topic comes from Joe Lycett(comedian) .. do a search for his routine on "Gemma" :th3:

No worries Arthur, go for it.:)

I'll make do with the "I've been selected for the free...." Bunnings & Woolworth's vouchers instead.;)

Cheers

Dennis

landyvlad
01-07-2020, 3:50pm
I'm hurt i haven't been offered...

I even have an email specifically for replying to scams... :-)