PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Update and Microsoft Edge

ameerat42
19-06-2020, 5:00am
Today Win10 installed last night's update.

On startup, I was presented with an opened new MS Edge browser screen, which I couldn't shake without making
making some setting changes. - How intrusive!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I chose the blandest I could, including ABSOLUTELY NOT
making it the default browser!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

So, if you don't want it, don't be put off by the ploy hiding as an update :confused013 :confused013 :confused013

When I finally got to the desktop and tried the new Edge, the screen below appeared, in (Simplified) Chinese, and
showing the Baidu home page, which is misdirected to say the least :rolleyes:

There are refernces here: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=new+win+10+update+pushes+MS+Edge

(After this I'm running a few malware scans :rolleyes:)

MS Edge after W10 update of 19/06/20...

ricktas
19-06-2020, 6:07am
I got it too. Took me about 2-3 minutes to go through the process and it asked me if I wanted to import my firefox settings, said no, asked me if I wanted to swap to edge as the default browser, I said no. When done I opened firefox and kept going in my usual way. Have not had anything pop-up or related to edge since.

My laptop seems to be working just as it did before this process.

ameerat42
19-06-2020, 7:20am
Yep, I told it where to go too :rolleyes:, but what a "choice" of Home Page for a MSoft product :confused013

ameerat42
19-06-2020, 10:02am
A supposed fix:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/forum/all/default-start-pagenew-tab-in-microsoft-edge/83b0413e-4030-42ba-b8e3-ad15dec010f8

Restart Windows required. Testing...

- - - Updated - - -

...Almost...
I managed to display a home page button earlier on, set to Google Oz.
New tabs open with still some Chinese text and a "Microsoft" home page,
which can be fixed (if you feel the need) with a click on the HmPg button.

What I still get and need to keep :cool:-ing to fix...

ricktas
19-06-2020, 5:13pm
Yep, I told it where to go too :rolleyes:, but what a "choice" of Home Page for a MSoft product :confused013

I did not even look. I closed down the windows as they opened.

ameerat42
19-06-2020, 6:04pm
I heard it might be a cyber attack - from a large E Asian country :rolleyes: