PDA

View Full Version : I thought it would be polite to introduce myself :)

GorgeWalker
07-05-2020, 10:27am
Hi All,

I've been quite busy getting to know my first DSLR - and I've been overwhelmed with the support received from members of this community.

I stumbled on this sub-section and realised how rude of me it was to not at least introduce myself.

My name is Brendan - I live in the Northern suburbs of Victoria. We recently moved house to get a bigger yard for the kids - but part of the attraction to this house was it is right across the road from Plenty Gorge National Park. An absolutely stunning place. I walk the Gorge daily and have always taken photos of things that I liked seeing - simply for my own enjoyment and to be able to share with the family and my kids.

Well - wifey recently asked me if I'd consider taking up photography. She said that my photos were pleasing and our friends were complimenting them - so here I am!

First and foremost - I love the bush. I love being out there. I love being in the thick of it. 90% of the time I come back wet, muddy and exhausted but I'm ready to get back at it the next day. I yesterday finally bought some proper hiking boots - those work boots were letting in so much water it was killing me!

I bought the camera to get be able to get some extra reach - I was primarily doing landscape stuff with my iPhone. Well - with a 300mm lens I find myself doing a lot of birding now. I would like to also do more landscape stuff, but, I'll be honest, birds and wildlife are really interesting me atm. I will need to invest in a longer lens eventually however.

About me - married to my high school sweetheart. 3 young kids who are the world to us. Of course, we are busy but we do our best to incorporate them in what we do while occasionally getting some time to ourselves. No more kids tho :lol2:

Anyhow - that's me!

Looking forward to being involved.

Thanks,

Brendan

ameerat42
07-05-2020, 10:42am
Er... - Welcome to AP, and thanks for the story. :D

GorgeWalker
07-05-2020, 11:07am
lol. Sorry - probably too much story. Was on a conference call so wasn't totally paying attention! :(

Well. Now you know me! :lol:

WhoDo
07-05-2020, 11:50am
lol. Sorry - probably too much story. Was on a conference call so wasn't totally paying attention! :(

Well. Now you know me! :lol:

Never “too much story” because it personalizes an otherwise impersonal medium. You’re definitely on the right path (especially since you’re frequently off the “beaten” one), as progression from landscapes to wildlife is quite typical.

At some point you may specialize , as have others here, in the feathered wildlife - considering their ubiquity. Alternatively you may become frustrated by the speed and elusiveness of the small but more exciting varieties, and elect to move on. Given your proximity to the gorge I’d be surprised if you did though.

Personally I sold off my 300 f/4.0 with TC and moved on to people. They are just as ubiquitous and fascinating as birds of the feathered variety, but a bit bigger and a lot slower. [emoji12] After making a few sheckles from glamour photography, I’ve gravitated into art, which doesn’t pay as well but is much more personally satisfying.

Thanks for the interesting read, which was streets ahead of the “Hi, I’m here”-style of hit-and-run normally encountered here. [emoji1317]

Bensch
07-05-2020, 12:28pm
Hi Brendan and welcome to AP, looking forward to seeing you and your photos around the forums :th3:

Mary Anne
07-05-2020, 2:56pm
Your a Little Bit Late Brendan ;) Though Welcome to AP. You are certainly involved which is good :nod:

GorgeWalker
07-05-2020, 2:58pm
Your a Little Bit Late Brendan ;) Though Welcome to AP. You are certainly involved which is good :nod:

I know :(

Felt like a douche when I saw the section! But better late then never I guess :)

Toddyh
07-05-2020, 3:42pm
Welcome Brendan and I for one enjoyed the story. Look forward to seeing even more improvement in your images.

rwg717
07-05-2020, 11:25pm
Brendan, welcome aboard.
Richard:D

merlin1
09-05-2020, 7:42pm
Welcome Brendon.
Ross.

arthurking83
10-05-2020, 6:11pm
Hi Brendan, nice to finally meet you! :D

I bought the camera to get be able to get some extra reach - I was primarily doing landscape stuff with my iPhone. Well - with a 300mm lens I find myself doing a lot of birding now. I would like to also do more landscape stuff, but, I'll be honest, birds and wildlife are really interesting me atm. I will need to invest in a longer lens eventually however.

Oh!.... just wait till you get a Sigma 8-16mm lens for the D3500 .. you think birding and stuff is addictive! .. when you go UWA, you can't get enough of it ;)
(ps. not that I'm advocating that you search for the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 lens .. I wouldn't do that :p)

That's really the only issue I've had with this forum .. damned cleaned out my finances over the past .. err .. I forgot how many years .. just call it a couple of decades!

Floribunda
10-05-2020, 7:02pm
Great to have a bit of background and now I can call you Brendan instead of Gorge - although now I understand why you chose that name. :D How great to live so near to the Gorge and what opportunities it will offer.
Good luck on your photographic journey - we never stop learning.