PDA

View Full Version : New member from NSW. Hi

Hubsta
12-04-2020, 6:17pm
Hi everyone.

My name is David,

I have recently decided to dust off my old Nikon D5100 which I originally purchased new in 2011 to take pictures on my honeymoon. I learnt the basics but never really got into photography.

Basically I'm trying to absorb as much knowledge as possible and put that into practice and improve my pictures. Eventually I'd like to upgrade my gear when I get a better understanding of what I'm doing.

ameerat42
12-04-2020, 6:39pm
Welcome to AP, David. That's a good aim - getting a better understanding of photography.
Join in and enjoy the benefits.

I Like to Watch
12-04-2020, 6:51pm
Welcome David.

Without knowing how much of the "basics" you learnt, I'd like to suggest taking it out of 'Auto' mode and setting the Camera to 'Aperture Priority' mode when taking pictures for a few days. Assuming you have the ISO set to 100....change the Aperture on your camera and observe what effect this has on shutter speed (which the camera will calculate), as you change the aperture setting for the same scene/subject...and take multiple shots.

After taking some shots using this method, then observe the results on your PC screen. Some will be blurry as hell as you fight to keep your camera still (and you can ignore those for now). When checking the ones that are nice and sharp (or in focus), see if you notice any other differences in the end results. Once you begin to observe the differences in the results, you can then move on to further steps to overcome the unsuccessful shots.

Hubsta
12-04-2020, 7:08pm
Welcome David.

Without knowing how much of the "basics" you learnt, I'd like to suggest taking it out of 'Auto' mode and setting the Camera to 'Aperture Priority' mode when taking pictures for a few days. Assuming you have the ISO set to 100....change the Aperture on your camera and observe what effect this has on shutter speed (which the camera will calculate), as you change the aperture setting for the same scene/subject...and take multiple shots.

After taking some shots using this method, then observe the results on your PC screen. Some will be blurry as hell as you fight to keep your camera still (and you can ignore those for now). When checking the ones that are nice and sharp (or in focus), see if you notice any other differences in the end results. Once you begin to observe the differences in the results, you can then move on to further steps to overcome the unsuccessful shots.

Hi thanks for the reply.
I learnt about shutter, aperture and iso awhile ago but feel now after a few months of playing with the camera ( after my break) and watching videos I feel I'm comfortable enough to use full manual mode. I can forsee some frustration ahead, after all I'm still quite green but im sure it's going to benefit me in the long run.

ricktas
12-04-2020, 7:18pm
Welcome to AP David, see you round the forums. Best way to learn is to dive in and interact with others.

Mark L
12-04-2020, 9:55pm
Hi thanks for the reply.
I learnt about shutter, aperture and iso awhile ago but feel now after a few months of playing with the camera ( after my break) and watching videos I feel I'm comfortable enough to use full manual mode. I can forsee some frustration ahead, after all I'm still quite green but im sure it's going to benefit me in the long run.

Full manual might (or not) benefit you in the long run but as you get used to using it you just missed the best shot from your honeymoon as you tried to figure the exposure. I Like to Watch advise is good. (though maybe use ISO400?)
You need to get good photos of your honeymoon and that does not require mastering full manual ATM. You will have plenty of time to do that once married.:)

rwg717
12-04-2020, 10:14pm
Hi David and welcome to AP;)
Richard

auz80
12-04-2020, 10:59pm
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. A bit of a cheek from me really as this is my first post for several years!

Don

I Like to Watch
12-04-2020, 11:42pm
...I Like to Watch advise is good. (though maybe use ISO400?) ....

You are right that there will be more "keepers" with ISO400....but was wanting to create the problem (slow shutter speed), before introducing a method to correct it :)

Mary Anne
13-04-2020, 7:46am
Hello David and Welcome to AP. To me the best way to learn is to post your images on the Forums and Please leave your settings exif data on them.
That way Members can see how you shot them and Help you more. Plenty to learn in the Library (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showlibrary.php) up Top there.
And will look forward to seeing what you post on the Forums.

Hubsta
13-04-2020, 5:58pm
Thanks for the warm welcome and tips so far. Really enjoying the forum. Plenty of spate time atm and a wealth of information at my fingertips, time to get reading haha

Orlando Sydney
13-04-2020, 6:33pm
Welcome David, I'm only new myself. Friendly bunch here.