PDA

View Full Version : bearimagesphotographic.com legit or fake?

bitsnpieces
05-03-2020, 8:03pm
I'm pretty sure there was a thread or something where fake businesses were listed.

Anyways, newphew in law bought a camera from the above place, he sent payment via bank transfer 2 days ago but they're saying they haven't received payment yet.
He's going to wait another day, see if it goes through by tomorrow

But just wondering if anyone knows about the above?

ameerat42
06-03-2020, 6:39am
Just from a G search it looks "real" enough.

(Re-)Check the payment details...?

bitsnpieces
06-03-2020, 2:08pm
He's checked them, definitely paid to the correct details

Bank did say 2-3 working days so we'll see how it goes today.

Told him to get the bank to provide a confirmation slip that it's gone through so you definitely know the money has gone somewhere

But yeah, I haven't been able to find his ABN yet

See how it goes today

ameerat42
06-03-2020, 3:20pm
OK, I suppose that's the hardest part :D

- - - Updated - - -

...and:
https://abr.business.gov.au/ABN/View?id=88008650502

https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/RegistrySearch/faces/landing/panelSearch.jspx?searchText=008650502&searchType=OrgAndBusNm&_adf.ctrl-state=1d7ru218mw_15

I can't be sure it's the same as yours since one ends in "ic" and this one in "y".

bitsnpieces
06-03-2020, 7:12pm
Yeah, found that today but also wasn't sure

Bank's looking into the transfer

Gonna keep trying to get in contact with them in the meantime

We'll see how it plays out

Maybe it's just a small home business, or maybe it's shoddy

We'll find out soon

farmmax
07-03-2020, 3:12am
It is not compulsory to have an ABN in Australia.
The domain name was created a year ago.
Do they have anything to do with Bear Images in USA?
Hope it works out OK.

ricktas
07-03-2020, 7:24am

That is the result of a search of the phone number attached to the business.

bitsnpieces
07-03-2020, 8:23pm
I don't see anything

But looking further at the site, no SSL, the reviews for the products are very generic and some (or at least one that I found) are quite out of place.

Still haven't been able to reach him via phone, so I'm calling it in, avoid this site

Let's hope the bank works it all out and gets the money back
Oh well, time to shop elsewhere

ameerat42
07-03-2020, 8:24pm
Bits. I can see the re-attached image.

ricktas
08-03-2020, 7:56am
I don't see anything

But looking further at the site, no SSL, the reviews for the products are very generic and some (or at least one that I found) are quite out of place.

Still haven't been able to reach him via phone, so I'm calling it in, avoid this site

Let's hope the bank works it all out and gets the money back
Oh well, time to shop elsewhere

I fixed the image link. Sorry.

bitsnpieces
08-03-2020, 8:41pm
That's for that

Will pass it to my nephew to give to the bank to speed up the process and refund

Reverse Australia is a site that shows legitimacy of a number or?

Just noticed the date on that comment was recent too lol

Putting the word scammers came up with more results than legit or fake lol
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/3nkxk029

Well, case closed I guess?

Thanks everyone for the help

bitsnpieces
10-04-2020, 9:46pm
Well, quick update is, bank isn't refunding the money to him.

Apparently the money transfer did reach the destination (if I remember what he said), but obviously, they've run off with the money since he hasn't gotten his camera.

They're continuing to look into it, but don't know what's gonna happen from here.

So... any ideas?

ricktas
11-04-2020, 3:31pm
Well, quick update is, bank isn't refunding the money to him.

Apparently the money transfer did reach the destination (if I remember what he said), but obviously, they've run off with the money since he hasn't gotten his camera.

They're continuing to look into it, but don't know what's gonna happen from here.

So... any ideas?

Report to fair trading, but you will be lucky to ever see the money again. sadly!

Saph
22-04-2020, 9:12pm
Report to fair trading, but you will be lucky to ever see the money again. sadly!

Fair trading and the banks fraud squad and police. if that doesnt get you far, involve a law professional for a civil lawsuit i say.

If they are running a website there will be a paper trail for the domain name with registration details such as names and addresses.

Mark L
23-04-2020, 10:49pm
Fair trading and the banks fraud squad and police. if that doesnt get you far, involve a law professional for a civil lawsuit i say.

If they are running a website there will be a paper trail ......

:lol2:

ricktas
24-04-2020, 7:37am
:lol2:

agree. Police will wash their hand of it an tell you to go see a lawyer or small claims court. Banks will do the same. A civil lawsuit, again requires a lawyer. There are a lot of people who cannot afford a lawyer and/or the cost of hiring one outweighs the amount being sought.

Colin B
24-04-2020, 11:00am
Sad but true. When I ran a business a debt collector I spoke to said that unless the loss is over $10,000 pusuing it through the courts will likely cost you more than it is worth.

Sadly, the laws in this country are very heavily biased in favour of the debtor and there are "professional debtors" who have got away with thousands of dollars worth of goods and services simply by not paying up and ignoring all the paperwork. If you do get them to court they make a deal for small, regular payments which they never honour and then you have to start over again and, no, the Police will not take any action even though they are in contempt of court.

bitsnpieces
29-04-2020, 12:17am
Yeah, haven't heard anything since, haven't followed up, guessing he's just given up.

He's purchased it elsewhere, a proper place this time, and looks like he's enjoying the camera (though I hadn't seen him take it out much and I don't think the lockdown's helping either)

Thanks all, hopefully nobody else here ever has to run into a scam.