PDA

View Full Version : Camera says card is full, even after formatting.

Dazz1
26-02-2020, 8:45am
Ever seen this? The camera is a Canon 80D. I have a 32MB SDcard that the camera can format (even low level) but still the camera reports the card is full. I put the card in the laptop, and removed all partitions, recreated a FAT16 partition and formatted it, using two different programs. Still the card says it is full.

I know, just throw it away and get a new one :nod: but it is a puzzle I wish I can solve.

ameerat42
26-02-2020, 9:11am
... I have a 32MB SD...?:eek:

-- Then throw it away, by all means :p

Jokes aside, what is the typical file size your camera generates for RAW files?
If it's set to do raw (and esp if + jpeg) then maybe it is telling you there's no
space to even try to write these :confused013

If it is in fact a 32 GB card, then try it for something else (before you toss it).

- - - Updated - - -

In addition:
1) FAT 16 may not give suitable sector sizes for your camera's files :confused013
2) Try FAT 32 or even NTFS (using computer if you can't select these on camera).

ricktas
26-02-2020, 12:10pm
?:eek:

If it's set to do raw (and esp if + jpeg) then maybe it is telling you there's no

If it is in fact a 32 GB card, then try it for something else (before you toss it).

- - - Updated - - -

In addition:
1) FAT 16 may not give suitable sector sizes for your camera's files :confused013
2) Try FAT 32 or even NTFS (using computer if you can't select these on camera).

Could well be the cause : Canon 80D raw file size : 28.9MB (approx). Though a 32MB card I have not seen for years. I wonder if the OP means GB.

Dazz1
26-02-2020, 12:16pm
?:eek:

- - - Updated - - -

In addition:

Yeah, ya got me :o in fact it IS 32 GB.

ricktas
26-02-2020, 12:27pm
Once you format it, can you copy stuff to it, on the computer... just dump some larger files onto it and see what it does.

Dazz1
26-02-2020, 12:34pm
Once you format it, can you copy stuff to it, on the computer... just dump some larger files onto it and see what it does.

No, I think it's stuffed. Anyway - they are so cheap these days. Binning it as we speak ...

ameerat42
26-02-2020, 12:52pm
Well, so much for that card, but here's some good news for you...

If you look, both the 8GB and 16GB are formatted (by camera) as FAT32*...:nod:

* I was never aware of any limitation as you mentioned.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Pls note that the image shows CF cards, but I am digging out my SD cards for the other camera to check them.
(Just can't find where it is at present :o )

Dazz1
26-02-2020, 1:02pm
I suspect the limitation was in fact 32MB and I misread it. I think the card thought it was a very small version of it's former self, and I did not look closely at the actual size of the partition I was trying to format.

ameerat42
26-02-2020, 1:07pm
Anyway, here's a pic of the same FAT32-ness found on a little old
8GB microSD card used in an old phone...143141

Boo53
28-02-2020, 6:36pm
Had you tried formatting in camera or only on a computer?