PDA

View Full Version : New to hobby

nsavage
02-01-2020, 8:55am
Hi all,

Just another who is new to photography having bought my first DSLR in the BBoxing Day sales. Looking forward to a steep learning curve :).

Cheers,

Nick

ricktas
02-01-2020, 8:55am
Welcome to AP Nick. See you round the forums soon.

Mary Anne
02-01-2020, 9:30am
Hello Nick and Welcome to AP, plenty to learn here.
Post some photos on the Forums for CC that’s the best way to learn.

Bensch
02-01-2020, 6:55pm
Greetings Nick, and welcome to the forums, looking forward to seeing your posts.

Great to see another Adelaideian here, especially one just down the road (I'm in Elizabeth) :th3:

Jorge Arguello
03-01-2020, 10:33am
I am glad to read you are exited Nick, I am sure you will get a lot of fun not only unpacking it, but exploring with trying to see those images in your mind before capturing them.
You will learn a lot here, and many (or should I say everybody) will be happy on helping you.

Mark L
03-01-2020, 8:55pm
What gear did you buy?

nsavage
03-01-2020, 10:23pm
Just starting of simple at the moment Mark. Bought a Canon 800d in the sales which came with the 18-55mm kit lens. I have also bought the 50mm F/1.8 Prime lens. Looking at a couple of others as well. Unfortunately budget does not allow for expensive lenses at the moment but that being said I am just starting out so no need at the moment.

Mary Anne
04-01-2020, 11:35am
Just starting of simple at the moment Mark. Bought a Canon 800d in the sales which came with the 18-55mm kit lens. I have also bought the 50mm F/1.8 Prime lens. Looking at a couple of others as well. Unfortunately budget does not allow for expensive lenses at the moment but that being said I am just starting out so no need at the moment.

Yes that is plenty for now learn to use those two first.

Then decide if you want to go wider for Landscapes, closer for Macro also good for Portraits
If you like Wildlife and Birds and need a Telephoto Lens by then you may be able to budget for a better lens..
Keep your eye on the Classified on here too, as you never know what lenses you could find there.

Mark L
04-01-2020, 9:30pm

Reckon if you end up getting into this photography thing you need to upgrade from the "beginner" camera first. They frustrate me so much in that they only give you one dial to deal with the f/stop and press another button for exposure compensation.

nsavage
05-01-2020, 12:24am
Reckon if you end up getting into this photography thing you need to upgrade from the "beginner" camera first. They frustrate me so much in that they only give you one dial to deal with the f/stop and press another button for exposure compensation.

I am sure we will when budget permits Mark.

Was at a friends today he is an avid photographer with a variety of cameras and lenses. Spent some some shooting macro shots with his 5D and 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. Pretty dangerous stuff for me at the moment. I think macro photography is something that I am going to be quite keen on.

macmich
05-01-2020, 10:41am
Welcome and all the best in your new hobby, you will get some great advice on the forums
Cheers Macca