PDA

View Full Version : Cheap s/hand Canon EFS 60mm macro

Dazz1
21-11-2019, 1:24pm
I have always enjoyed playing around with macro, and usually use extension rings, and sometimes close-up filters. However, today I wandered into a secondhand store and, as usual, looked in the camera cabinet. There sat a Canon EFS 60mm Ultrasonic Macro lens for under half price. I asked to look at it, and found out that it had "a small dust mark". Other than that, it looked like new and had a cheap Skylight filter on it as well. I asked for their best price, and got some further dollars off, so I succumbed and bought it. Everything except the dust spot covered under warranty.

I figured if the dust mark annoyed me too much I would maybe get it cleaned, or attempt a clean myself. Turns out the mark is off to the side on the left, and not too annoying at all. The lens is a pleasure to use, and very quick enough to autofocus. Here's a quick oof snap to show the spot (ignore the slight vignetting, that's because of light when I took the photo).

J.davis
21-11-2019, 9:10pm
That looks like sensor dust, have you tried a different lens?

Mark L
21-11-2019, 9:29pm
Don't Canon have a dust delete data thing that can remove this spot when taking the photo? Might have to go with a custom setting in the camera when using this particular lens?

Dazz1
21-11-2019, 10:20pm
That looks like sensor dust, have you tried a different lens?

Yes of course, and there is no mark there with the different lens. Remember, the guy that tests the lenses in the store said it had a dust mark, so he saw it too, on a different camera

- - - Updated - - -

Don't Canon have a dust delete data thing that can remove this spot when taking the photo? Might have to go with a custom setting in the camera when using this particular lens?

Interesting, I'll look into that. Meanwhile, if it shows up in anything picture I take, Darktable has a super easy spot removal tool. It isn't likely to be a problem, as it is over on the side, and mostly gets cropped out.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting, I'll look into that. Meanwhile, if it shows up in anything picture I take, Darktable has a super easy spot removal tool. It isn't likely to be a problem, as it is over on the side, and mostly gets cropped out.

Found it. It's data captured from a white oof sample shot, that is used in PP to remove the dust spot automatically in DPP. Makes it slightly easier to do than in Darktable manually.

Tannin
22-11-2019, 1:43am
Nice choice. The EF-S 60mm macro is a delightful lens. It's a little short for macro (most prefer something in the 90mm class) but certainly very usable, and sharp as you like. As a bonus, it's an excellent general purpose mild telephoto for landscapes and portraits. You will probably miss having IS, but it's a great lens nevertheless. Enjoy!

Dazz1
22-11-2019, 9:44am
Nice choice. The EF-S 60mm macro is a delightful lens. It's a little short for macro (most prefer something in the 90mm class) but certainly very usable, and sharp as you like. As a bonus, it's an excellent general purpose mild telephoto for landscapes and portraits. You will probably miss having IS, but it's a great lens nevertheless. Enjoy!

Thanks. I am just starting to explore it's possibilites I feel. I never thought about the stabilisation. You are right, it does not have any. I read somewhere that adding some rings lets it do some extreme macro, so I have to try that.

Mary Anne
22-11-2019, 12:49pm
Don’t know if you need IS on that lens Dazz I don’t have any on my Tamron 90 mm because they are a light lenses Tamron weighs 405 gms your 60 mm canon is a lighter lens it’s weighs 335 gms

Dazz1
22-11-2019, 2:18pm
Don’t know if you need IS on that lens Dazz I don’t have any on my Tamron 90 mm because they are a light lenses Tamron weighs 405 gms your 60 mm canon is a lighter lens it’s weighs 335 gms

You are correct, it is VERY light. I am finding it easy to hold it steady.