PDA

View Full Version : Requesting good spots for photos in New Zealand

The Dronefather
14-11-2019, 3:37pm
Hi guys,
I'm heading to New Zealand for a work trip next week and was hoping to get some suggestions for great photo locations/opportunities while i'm there.
I will have 2 days in Christchurch, 2 days at Frans Joseph (Glacier) and 3 days in Queenstown.

Does anyone know of any 'must not miss' opportunities in those areas?

Colin B
14-11-2019, 4:13pm
How are you travelling? If you are independent the drive from Christchurch through the mountains over to the far coast for the Franz Josef is spectacular with plenty of places where you can stop to take photos. If you are on a fixed tour the bus will probably stop at the best spots.

In Queenstown if you have the time a trip to Wanaka and a boat cruise on the lake would be worthwhile, as would a trip to Milford Sound.

The scenery in New Zealand is such that you could stick the camera out the window almost anywhere and get a decent shot.

The Dronefather
14-11-2019, 4:52pm
How are you travelling? If you are independent the drive from Christchurch through the mountains over to the far coast for the Franz Josef is spectacular with plenty of places where you can stop to take photos. If you are on a fixed tour the bus will probably stop at the best spots.

In Queenstown if you have the time a trip to Wanaka and a boat cruise on the lake would be worthwhile, as would a trip to Milford Sound.

The scenery in New Zealand is such that you could stick the camera out the window almost anywhere and get a decent shot.

Thank you Colin, that's excellent advice.
To answer your question, we are driving the entire way so we can stop anywhere on the route.....

I Like to Watch
14-11-2019, 5:28pm
Depending on how much travelling you are doing between Cities...some suggestions :
- Moeraki Boulders
- Wanaka
- Cable Car in Queenstown to top of mountain...great view
- The Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown
- Dunedin has the World's steepest Street (Baldwin St)...a nice hike on foot
- Milford Sound Cruise

The Dronefather
14-11-2019, 6:04pm
Depending on how much travelling you are doing between Cities...some suggestions :
- Moeraki Boulders
- Wanaka
- Cable Car in Queenstown to top of mountain...great view
- The Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown
- Dunedin has the World's steepest Street (Baldwin St)...a nice hike on foot
- Milford Sound Cruise

That's awesome! Thanks I Like to Watch (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/member.php?24547-I-Like-to-Watch) :D

I Like to Watch
14-11-2019, 7:54pm
...and the best part while you're hiking through the bush ? No Snakes !

Also, don't forget to turn over the leaves on the Fern Trees to see the famous 'Silver Fern'
(but when you are near rivers and streams...beware the Sandflies)

Filter
14-11-2019, 9:49pm
Sth Island, around every corner. You cant miss it. Enjoy your short stay.

Boo53
14-11-2019, 10:03pm
Going from CHCH (kiwi for Christchurch) to Queenstown the most popular route would be via Tekapo and the Church of the Good Shepherd.

If you're up to it a day walk on the Routeburn track from the Glenorchy end gives great views/scenery and its a nice walk. You can do it with Ultimate Hikes for a reasonable sum, inc travel guides food etc; and you then get a lifetime 10% off any other walk you do with them.

I Like to Watch
14-11-2019, 10:46pm
Here's a shot of Franz Josef Glacier from November 2010. If you look closely towards the base of the Glacier you can see people.
I'm guessing it has receded a bit since 2010.

- - - Updated - - -

...and if you get a chance...try and find 'The Blue Pools' Track

Glenda
15-11-2019, 6:59am
You'll be spoilt for choice and lots of good suggestions above. I think NZ is one of those places where you could stop every 500m and get an amazing shot, the scenery is incredible. Visiting Glenorchy and Kingston from Queenstown is worth it.

The Dronefather
15-11-2019, 12:54pm
Sth Island, around every corner. You cant miss it. Enjoy your short stay.

Going from CHCH (kiwi for Christchurch) to Queenstown the most popular route would be via Tekapo and the Church of the Good Shepherd.

If you're up to it a day walk on the Routeburn track from the Glenorchy end gives great views/scenery and its a nice walk. You can do it with Ultimate Hikes for a reasonable sum, inc travel guides food etc; and you then get a lifetime 10% off any other walk you do with them.

Here's a shot of Franz Josef Glacier from November 2010. If you look closely towards the base of the Glacier you can see people.
I'm guessing it has receded a bit since 2010.

...and if you get a chance...try and find 'The Blue Pools' Track

You'll be spoilt for choice and lots of good suggestions above. I think NZ is one of those places where you could stop every 500m and get an amazing shot, the scenery is incredible. Visiting Glenorchy and Kingston from Queenstown is worth it.

Thank you all for the great suggestions..... I have used them all to create a google map as a lot of them are on our route.
Can't wait to get some amazing shots, and I'll be sure to share the good one on AusPhotography!

Thanks again :th3: