PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to DSLRs from Brisbane

adadrian
26-08-2019, 11:09am
Hey guys

Adrian from Brisbane here, I have no friends into photography so I thought I would join an Australian photography forum. I have very minor “phone and compact photography” experience. I have a couple of photos that’s been used by Holden and Harley Davidson Australia that I will include it I can figure it out(which I can’t). Anyway my love of photography has outgrown phone and compact cameras and I thought I would get an entry level DSLR camera the 3500 d with a Tamron 70-300 mm lens. I know absolutely nothing of DSLR cameras so any advice would be great! Anyway hoping to learn heaps and make some friends.

ameerat42
26-08-2019, 11:38am
Welcome to AP, Adrian. All of the above aims can be helped along here, just join in and enjoy.
Have a look in the Library (tabs above) for resources.

- - - Updated - - -

-- Oh, and...
For attaching images to you posts on AP (uploading to here), look at this guide. (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?156515-Attaching-Images-To-Posts-On-AP)

For linking to pics on other sites..., look in the Library.

Mary Anne
26-08-2019, 12:49pm
Hello Adrian and Welcome to AP.. Not sure about that Camera perhaps it's a Nikon D3500, as I don't think Canon make a 3500D
flickr have a free Account for 1,000 images lots of Members use it. You can sign up here > https://www.flickr.com/ if you are interested.
It is very easy to use, and if you need any help with it just ask.

adadrian
26-08-2019, 1:00pm
thanks for the replies,

yes its a nikon 3500d sorry

Hawthy
26-08-2019, 5:51pm
Welcome aboard, Adrian. There is a lot to learn as a newbie to DSLRs but don't feel overawed. The best things that I did when I first got a DSLR were:
1. Bought a tripod.
2. Took a very basic photography course (one evening on night photography). The guys there showed us all the basics.
3. Downloaded an app on how to use my camera - the manuals are impenetrable.
4. Participated in the Weekly Member Challenges. Just having to think about each challenge provides a focus for your photography and opens you up to different ideas.

Enjoy yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions or post pictures for review. Even if they are not good, people will provide some constructive feedback.:th3:

ricktas
26-08-2019, 7:06pm
Welcome to AP.

See you and your photos round the forums.

arthurking83
26-08-2019, 7:20pm
+1 to the above(Hawthy).

There's no reason to feel overwhelmed by the point that it's a DSLR(or mirrorless, or any other type of camera).
Photography is 'basically the same' irrespective of the device used to capture the image.

So you're unfamiliar with the D3500 .. as I am with my Galaxy S8+.

Just a few moments ago .. took me about 10-15mins to realise I couldn't figure out how to do the selfie thing.
That is, the S8+ has some virtual button on the screen, damned if I could figure it out tho, thought to get the DSLR out instead, but then remembered the wonders of the internet.
Searched where this confounded virtual camera turn-a-round icon was .. selfie taken for the online ID requirement I was trying to so.

The point of the above is simply familiarity.
Key things to familiarise yourself with are focus modes and exposure modes.

Ask questions, plenty folks here willing to offer assistance/advice.

rwg717
26-08-2019, 10:32pm
Hi Adrian and welcome.
Richard.

adadrian
27-08-2019, 6:27am
Thanks for the advices guys much appreciated