PDA

View Full Version : New member

Spearman
22-08-2019, 5:12pm
Hi everyone

I'm Spearman (cos the root of my surname in archaic German means "spear" and I'm a man :nod:. This only means that I'm descended from the Barbarians and have travelled far across the generations). I live in Paddington inner Sydney, near the harbour, and so have access to one of the most glorious waterways imaginable. I like seascapes, landscapes and cityscapes and so I'm pretty much in my element here although I'd like to get further afield and shoot in our wonderful open landscapes. Perhaps the desert?

Architectural and industrial photography also attracts me and Sydney has a wealth of great historical and modern buildings and commercial/industrial artefacts. A good portrait is worth way more than a thousand words so I'm curious as to how the photographic languaqe speaks about people I know and strangers alike.

I began taking photographs seriously some time in the mid to late 1970s but sadly can no longer remember that far back and have lost - through various forms of misadventure - all my old negatives and some prints that I developed in a makeshift darkroom with minimal equipment and even less knowledge. However, then, as now, trial and error is still a great teacher! But I now have enough lenses to sink a ship and a little more understanding and two great Nikon cameras so I'm keen to get on with the job and to begin a new series of photographs that demonstrate and extend my own vision.

I'll be very interested to see what kind of work is being done by Australian photographers in particular and how they go about creating particular forms of expression. I doubt that I'll be showing any 'sweet' or 'nice' shots on here since I'm much too interested in the underlying emotional and/or philosophical content and response to be obsessed with pretty. I'd like to toy with the symbolic rather than merely the pictorial or realist representation of something. Of course, I'm not likely to stand on ceremony so in the last analysis I'll shoot anything if attracted enough by it.

Hope to get to know a few Australian photographers in time. Please feel free to contact for any reason.

best wishes to all
D

ameerat42
22-08-2019, 5:20pm
Hi Spearman. Welcome to AP.

So, descended from barbarians, eh? - Like everyone else, ultimately.

Anyway, your photographic history sounds as if you should be Advanced
here on AP. Post up some things and join in and pretty soon you might
need to promote yourself.

ricktas
22-08-2019, 5:25pm
Welcome to AP, See you and some of those photos, on the forums soon.

Spearman
22-08-2019, 5:36pm
Hello ameerat42, thanks for the welcome. Good to be here..........I think.

Yes, you are perfectly right about historical family relations. But in my naivity I thought I'd trace my family tree back to the dark past only to discover that, after you get a certain way back in the generations, good god!, we ARE all descended from the Barbarians like everyone else! I've come to embrace the thought. I sense an historian in you.:eek:

Cheers

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your welcome Ricktas. I hope I'll get into the swing of it sooner rather than later.

Looking forward to seeing your work and all that AP offers.

best

Bear Dale
22-08-2019, 5:47pm
Welcome to the forum.

Spearman
22-08-2019, 6:00pm
Thank you Bear. Nice to be here.

Nick Cliff
22-08-2019, 6:44pm
Looks like you have come to the right place and do look forward to seeing the results of your photographic journey,

cheers Nick

Spearman
22-08-2019, 6:56pm
Thanks Nick. Just spotted your impressive macro 'Everlasting Gift'. Nice!

Bensch
22-08-2019, 7:59pm
Greetings and welcome to AP, looking forward to seeing your photos around the forums :th3:

rwg717
22-08-2019, 10:54pm
Hello D and welcome.
Richard.

Spearman
23-08-2019, 8:06am
Thanks Andy. Appreciated.

David

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Richard. Thanks for dropping by.

David

Mary Anne
23-08-2019, 11:49am
Hello David and Welcome to AP, a very interesting Intro.. Seascapes, Landscapes and Cityscapes sounds good to me.
Nice lot of gear you have there so will look forward to seeing what you post on the CC Forums :nod:

Spearman
23-08-2019, 12:08pm
Thanks Mary Anne.

soulseeker
26-08-2019, 8:15pm
Welcome!