PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article around copyright...

ricktas
11-06-2019, 7:13pm
Whilst not a photo, copyright still applies and some interesting arguments put forth here about the issues around copyright.

I found this statement particularly oblivious to copyright law "It's quite unusual for copyright to be held by an individual and controlled by an individual rather than a government or statutory authority who, maybe for policy reasons, has other interests in mind," Ms Phillips said.

Read the full article here (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-11/new-licence-owners-of-aboriginal-flag-threaten-football-codes/11198002) and maybe we can discuss it further in this thread

flashc
14-06-2019, 3:37am
The owner of the Copyright, Harold Thomas, was awarded sole copyright over his design, by law, and has already given various organisations permission to reproduce his design
"Mr Thomas said it was his common law right to choose who he enters licensing agreements with" and has chosen who he trusts

We could also ask who now owns the Ugg boots name and the global rights and who owns various music titles that were once Australian
Any photogaph produced by a independent photographer can be reassigned, or licensed for someone else to use or just kept for themselves
I can't see how the Government could just declare something to be a national symbol and take copyright without the owner's permission and pay compensation if requested...

The owner must have the right to not handover copyright if they so choose....

ameerat42
14-06-2019, 6:45am
Didn't have to read far to get the salient point - moaning about money-making:rolleyes:

mugget
30-06-2019, 1:34am
Wow, I never knew the Aboriginal flag copyright was owned by an individual!! My first thought was that it was crazy - surely a national icon such as a flag should be subject to fair use rights? But then it was't a recognised national flag until 1995, I didn't know that either.

Didn't read the entire article, but almost more than the interesting copyright points it unfortunately goes to highlight the troubled past and struggle faced by Aboriginal people...

John King
30-06-2019, 10:44am
Whilst not a photo, copyright still applies and some interesting arguments put forth here about the issues around copyright.

I found this statement particularly oblivious to copyright law "It's quite unusual for copyright to be held by an individual and controlled by an individual rather than a government or statutory authority who, maybe for policy reasons, has other interests in mind," Ms Phillips said.

Read the full article here (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-11/new-licence-owners-of-aboriginal-flag-threaten-football-codes/11198002) and maybe we can discuss it further in this thread

Rick, I think that the statement made must be taken to mean what it says only within the context of it being an official national flag.

One can be sued for making and selling our traditional flag without consent.

However, if the Australian government wants to hold the copyright to the Aboriginal flag, it can compulsorily acquire it, but must pay "just compensation" to the owner in accordance with the Federal Constitution (the "Castle" principle"). S.51, IIRC.