PDA

View Full Version : Eye Detect AF - EOS R

st87
23-05-2019, 10:52pm
Hi all,

Has anyone truly mastered the Eye Detect autofocus feature on the Canon EOS R?

I'm finding it to be a bit of a hit and miss to get it working in the first place.

If my understanding is correct, and I have seen this working on my camera a few times, there should be a WHITE BOX tracking a face, and within this box is a SMALLER box tracking the eyeball of the subject.

I got that working last night!! and without changing a damn thing this morning, it went back to just tracking little green squares!

Current settings on AF1 are:

AF operation - SERVO AF (have also tried reverting to ONE SHOT, no success. Mind you this is firmware 1.2.0 so it should work either way)
AF method - AF; face; square bracket thingy
AF frame size - Normal
Eye Detection AF - Enable
Continuous AF - Enable
Touch & drag AF settings - Disable

Why does it behave so inconsistently and what am I doing wrong? It's disappointing how I can't find it to be intuitive, especially as this feature was the main reason why I bought this camera.

Hope to hear from someone who has this experience.

Cheers,
Shaun

nardes
24-05-2019, 6:47am
I haven't used eye detect yet, but have you checked that it is designed to work with "Continuous AF - Enable" as I believe that when 1st released the EOS R could not do this?

I think a recent Firmware upgrade "might" have solved this so check your FW.:confused013

Cheers

Dennis

Tannin
24-05-2019, 12:20pm
Sadly, my "mastery" of eye-detect AF on the EOS R has consisted of figuring out how to switch it off so that the camera doesn't do weird and unexpected things when I'm using it for landscapes. In particular, eye-AF nukes the artificial horizon function - something I use for nearly every shot and depend on. But you knew that.