PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone! :)

st87
24-04-2019, 11:19pm
Hey everybody,

My name is Shaun. Nice to meet you all. Ended up here because I heard this was the most active photography forum.

Just a bit about myself: I'm an engineer, so I'm a bit of a techie. I chose photography as one of my high school subjects for all the wrong reasons. I liked the camera more than the art (teacher hated me for that). I liked what goes on in them; the optical physics, the electronics engineering, the telecommunications engineering, the digital signal processing etc.

I would say I understand most (if not all) of the logic and technicals to do with photography, but I feel that I am too 'robotic' and lack creativity as if my right brain is non-existent.
I envy those of you who would just randomly take a stroll and manage to capture pictures that just blow me away. The type that makes me go "whoa... how the heck did you manage to capture so much beauty in an otherwise very ordinary scenario??"

So, when I joined this forum, one of the questions in the registration form was my skill level. And I don't even have any idea how I would rate myself on that one.

Do I know how to use a camera? Yes. Quite well I think. In fact, during my pre-wedding photoshoot, I was making my photographer's job much easier because for the slight adjustments (e.g. power level of an off-camera flash that I was holding), she could actually tell me what she wanted and I would be able to understand and do it for her.
Do I have the ability to capture beauty? No. This is the part where I struggle.

Let's just say I'm someone who can probably tell you how a picture was taken, using what equipment and what settings, what the (artificial) lighting situation was, etc. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I can even reproduce the image as well. But, to this day, I wouldn't be able to take an original shot where I actually foresaw the beauty before the shutter release.
Another way to put it; I can capture an image, but I can't create the moment.

So that's me. Quite sad, really. I do hope that I can somehow develop that creative side.

Onto my gear: I use a 5D MKII. I gave away my first dSLR (the 400D) long ago before realising photographers actually kept a second body.
My lenses are:
- 50mm 1.4
- 24-105mm f/4L (the first one)
- 100mm f/2.8L Macro
- 100-400 f/4.5-5.6? L (the classic dust pumper model)
- 85mm f/1.4 Sigma ART (actually my favourite out of the lot)

I've also used a dark room during my studies and had some hands-on with the chemicals to develop B+W photos.

Wish list:
- I am (very) interested in getting an EOS R to get that second body but not sure if I can justify another $3000 for a hobby. It would be extremely helpful as I do have a photo shoot coming up in November for a wife's friend, but..... she's broke; no money. That's why I'm doing it instead of a paid professional in the first place lol.
- 16-35mm f/2.8 for sure. If I had money to spare.

Mark L
24-04-2019, 11:41pm
Welcome to a good place to play Shaun.
Post some photos for CC to back up what you say here. Also CCing others photos is good.:th3:

ameerat42
25-04-2019, 6:31am
Hi and welcome to AP.

Mary Anne
25-04-2019, 6:58am
Hello Shaun and Welcome to AP that would be the most interesting Intro I have ever read I hope you get what you wish for.
As for what Skill level you are, going by your camera models I have similar so you have been shooting for around 12 years if your gear was new.
Only you really knows what level you are at. So Looking forward to seeing what you post on the CC Forums
And good on you for having a go at commenting on Members posts already as that's what makes Forums work.

st87
25-04-2019, 8:02am
Thank you for the warm welcomes.
haha yes I've had gear for a long time but my personal "shutter mileage" is quite low.
For instance, I bought my 5D Mkii as a graduation present to myself shortly after the 5D MKIII was introduced so the price was cheaper.
But... I found that I never really had time to use it, so it was just on my shelf collecting dust. It became more of a room decor than an actual tool.

I'll have to dig up some photos soon and show you guys where I sort of am. I think you guys would be in better position to rate me as you would have seen much more than I have. :)

In the meantime, just logging into AP with my phone, I get an alert saying I can download an app to make viewing easier, but when it goes to the play store, it says "not found".
I tried searching for it manually and didn't find anything. Any ideas?

Mary Anne
25-04-2019, 8:37am
I use Tapatalk on my mobile try that.

st87
25-04-2019, 8:49am
I use Tapatalk on my mobile try that.It works! Amazing. Thank you.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

ricktas
25-04-2019, 9:05am
Thank you for the warm welcomes.
haha yes I've had gear for a long time but my personal "shutter mileage" is quite low.
For instance, I bought my 5D Mkii as a graduation present to myself shortly after the 5D MKIII was introduced so the price was cheaper.
But... I found that I never really had time to use it, so it was just on my shelf collecting dust. It became more of a room decor than an actual tool.

I'll have to dig up some photos soon and show you guys where I sort of am. I think you guys would be in better position to rate me as you would have seen much more than I have. :)

In the meantime, just logging into AP with my phone, I get an alert saying I can download an app to make viewing easier, but when it goes to the play store, it says "not found".
I tried searching for it manually and didn't find anything. Any ideas?

We use tapatalk now because the site software developers had their own app callled 'forum runner'. I know they stopped developing Forum Runner for Android, it might still be on Apple Store though (not sure). Tapatalk is a third party add-on for the site, so not being native, it sometimes does not play well, so if you notice any glitches, unfortunately they are outside our control.

st87
25-04-2019, 9:47am
Thanks mate. Yes I've been browsing the forum with tapatalk for about half an hr. Certainly not perfect, but it is a third party app so that being said, the integration between tapatalk and AP is quite impressive as is. I'll probably go onto my computer if I get around to posting photos anyway.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

ajc
27-04-2019, 11:36am
Welcome aboard Shaun - enjoy