PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with photographic mojo

JoPho
05-03-2019, 12:23am
Sorry I have been negligent of my regular participation.
Thought I would be back into the swing of things but have been disappointed with my efforts and reluctant to share, then just gave up.
The passion is still in me.. just needs a little inspiration.

ameerat42
05-03-2019, 6:24am
Sure, don't push yourself to take photos.
Have a change in your photographic activity. Try giving a bit more CC.
(I don't recall O/H that you don't.) But look at other people's photos
in terms of how you would have taken them and tell them.

Ionica
05-03-2019, 9:06am
It may sound easy to say, but I agree that you shouldn't try to force it, as it may have the opposite effect and hinder rather than help. There will be something - an event, change of season etc that may take your interest, and be a catalyst for you.

Mary Anne
05-03-2019, 10:51am
Hi Jo, perhaps a walk on the beach will help, don't know what the weather is like over your way hopefully it is cooling down like it is here.
Your Mojo will come back just may take a little while :nod:

bobt
05-03-2019, 2:35pm
Coincidentally, I just wrote an article for our club magazine based on this same problem ....

Looking backwards helps you move forwards.

One thing about photographers is that most of us go through periodic phases where we get disillusioned with our own performance. We all have those patches when we question ourselves, our talents and our motivation. We look at our success rates in competitions and wonder if we are learning anything, and we ask ourselves where all the good ideas are and how we can create more interesting images.

I read an interesting article recently which suggested solutions for such a malaise and to me it made a lot of sense.

The author suggested that we go back to our earlier photographs, the ones we took when we started down the photography path. Looking backwards rather than forwards often reveals that you have actually come a long way, perhaps a lot further than you thought. Photographs you thought were pretty good at the time may now look a little more amateurish with the benefit of your new knowledge.

Most of us will discover that we now understand the process a lot more, and that our older images reflect how little we knew then. Our processing skills have improved, partly due to new software but also due to improved skills. Hopefully we are now using our camera more efficiently, looking at histograms and taking the camera off manual. We understand light, and shadows better and how to compose our images rather than just taking them. In our photography, looking at our past gives us new confidence for the future. Few of us will have been standing still. Recently I came across a “cheat sheet” I made for myself years ago which told me when to use various camera settings. I threw it away because today I take those hints for granted, but it reminded me of where I once was.

So next time you feel a little frustrated, drag out those old photos and compare them to what you are producing now. You may be pleasantly surprised! Whatever you find in your archives, the most important thing to remember is to enjoy what you can do rather than being frustrated at what you can't. It’s not about pleasing judges - it’s about pleasing yourself.

JoPho
05-03-2019, 10:14pm
Sure, don't push yourself to take photos.

Have a change in your photographic activity. Try giving a bit more CC.
(I don't recall O/H that you don't.) But look at other people's photos
in terms of how you would have taken them and tell them.

Thank you.What great advice..
I often read the critique others give, for I feel that they have far better advice than me. :-)
But enjoy saying what I like.

It may sound easy to say, but I agree that you shouldn't try to force it, as it may have the opposite effect and hinder rather than help. There will be something - an event, change of season etc that may take your interest, and be a catalyst for you.

Hi Jo, perhaps a walk on the beach will help, don't know what the weather is like over your way hopefully it is cooling down like it is here.

Your Mojo will come back just may take a little while

:nod:

Ionica and Mary Anne I think I need to travel more and work less!!! It would certainly help the mojo. :nod:

Coincidentally, I just wrote an article for our club magazine based on this same problem ....

Looking backwards helps you move forwards.

One thing about photographers is that most of us go through periodic phases where we get disillusioned with our own performance. We all have those patches when we question ourselves, our talents and our motivation. We look at our success rates in competitions and wonder if we are learning anything, and we ask ourselves where all the good ideas are and how we can create more interesting images.

I read an interesting article recently which suggested solutions for such a malaise and to me it made a lot of sense.

The author suggested that we go back to our earlier photographs, the ones we took when we started down the photography path. Looking backwards rather than forwards often reveals that you have actually come a long way, perhaps a lot further than you thought. Photographs you thought were pretty good at the time may now look a little more amateurish with the benefit of your new knowledge.
Hi Bob, thank you for your long and thought provoking response. I think you are quite right. Of the thousands of photos, there is maybe only one or two (very lucky shots) that I don't think I could do better with. Might start with what's left on my FlickR and do retakes. :-) But I suspect I might also need to stand in front of more interesting stuff.

Mark L
05-03-2019, 10:23pm
Oh no
JoPho
has no
mojo
:(

.... but have been disappointed with my efforts and reluctant to share, ......
This is a thing that I have gone though many times.
I've been disappointed only by the standard I set for myself. This may apply to you. Are you expecting to much?
To check if this is the case just post a couple of photos to check others reactions.
And I'm so far behind with my photos because of the common lose of my PPing mojo.

JoPho
05-03-2019, 11:04pm
Oh no
JoPho
has no
mojo
:(

This is a thing that I have gone though many times.
I've been disappointed only by the standard I set for myself. This may apply to you. Are you expecting to much?
To check if this is the case just post a couple of photos to check others reactions.
And I'm so far behind with my photos because of the common lose of my PPing mojo.
Ah yes Mark, but you never loose your feathered friend fetish. I have been doing a bit of bird helping (doing night vigils to chase off killer cats etc) and actively NOT taking photos of chicks. Feels liberating to some degree to live in the moment.

ricktas
06-03-2019, 6:30am
Welcome back Jo.

Sometimes I find inspiration comes from the most obscure places. For me, it is reading a book (biography) about a famous photographer, or watching a documentary that inspires.

You may not have seen this, but it is well worth the watch, to get the creative juices kicked into action -> (trailer): https://youtu.be/er8-Vq__cRE

Claire M
06-03-2019, 5:40pm
Don't be too hard on yourself Jo, as you're such a creative person, (your photos posted on this forum have certainly shown that) :)and sometimes we all need to take time out or have a break from what we've been doing for a long time just to refresh our thoughts and ideas on what we do and where we go with our creativity, so we can feel energised again, or improve, or even move forward in a new or different direction to what we've previously done, (if we're feeling 'flat' or that we're not achieving anything or it's getting to mundane).
Inspiration can come unexpectedly, and acting upon being inspired and not procrastinating,... well that's another thing, that occasionally I have difficulties with :rolleyes: :D.
Anyway Jo, hope your Mojo returns refreshed soon, and maybe we can find inspiration with a photo shoot sometime soon.
Cheers!

Geoff79
07-03-2019, 3:49pm
Welcome back, Jo. You were quite active in those weekly challenges too, if I recall correctly. Might be something to see what you can come up with for those for a while to get the ball rolling?

JoPho
07-03-2019, 11:50pm
Welcome back Jo.

Sometimes I find inspiration comes from the most obscure places. For me, it is reading a book (biography) about a famous photographer, or watching a documentary that inspires.

You may not have seen this, but it is well worth the watch, to get the creative juices kicked into action -> (trailer): https://youtu.be/er8-Vq__cRE
Thank you Rick, found the full version of the movie and will give it a viewing when I can. https://cafemovie.to/movie/finding-vivian-maier-KwLJeVvb
Amazing images especially for the technology . It is so much easier to be a spy these day.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't be too hard on yourself Jo, as you're such a creative person, (your photos posted on this forum have certainly shown that) :)and sometimes we all need to take time out or have a break from what we've been doing for a long time just to refresh our thoughts and ideas on what we do and where we go with our creativity, so we can feel energised again, or improve, or even move forward in a new or different direction to what we've previously done, (if we're feeling 'flat' or that we're not achieving anything or it's getting to mundane).
Inspiration can come unexpectedly, and acting upon being inspired and not procrastinating,... well that's another thing, that occasionally I have difficulties with :rolleyes: :D.
Anyway Jo, hope your Mojo returns refreshed soon, and maybe we can find inspiration with a photo shoot sometime soon.
Cheers!
That would be lovely. Just to enjoy without being super critical. Perhaps we could do some candids around Freo or something (like Vivian Maier) and compare. :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome back, Jo. You were quite active in those weekly challenges too, if I recall correctly. Might be something to see what you can come up with for those for a while to get the ball rolling?
Thank you Geoff. I used to be obsesses with them. Thought about them long and hard and took a great deal of effort to make them the best I could. Miss them and think it's a great place to begin again. See you there!

Chinook
08-03-2019, 12:03am
Thank you bob t for your very interesting post. Just reading it has helped me so much. Very much appreciated :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jopho,

I have just read your post and do understand exactly how you feel. I feel sure after reading all the very helpful posts your mojo will return. Good luck and I agree don't push things. Maybe looking on the forums will help you. I am about to do that myself.