PDA

View Full Version : Hello Just Arrived

The Fisher King
02-02-2019, 3:24pm
Hello - I like the idea of photography as a new hobby after metal detecting for 5 years with the finds drying up plus my shoulders wearing out.I will keep detecting but want to get my out doors fix capturing great photo's as well.

I have seen some great photo opportunities over the years while outside detecting and now want to position myself to capture such great images.

I also have read that the Nikon D3400 (D3500) is a great beginners SLR but wonder if it will suit my needs e.g. standard lenses or the 70mm - 300mm or ?

I have more questions but won't ask them here.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

The Fisher King :nod:

ricktas
02-02-2019, 3:30pm
Welcome to AP. Pull up your chair and join right in.

Fairly much any camera from any of the well known brands is going to serve you well. The thing is to decide on a brand and dive into it. Nikon is good (as you have looked at). The camera body is not as important as the lenses you acquire. Your lenses will last you a lifetime, camera bodies become obsolete fairly quickly these days. Regarding lens choice, what do you think you would like to photograph? Because once we know that, we can recommend lenses to suit the subject.

Hawthy
02-02-2019, 4:25pm
Rick is correct. Any DSLR (or mirrorless) camera from a major manufacturer will be fine. If you are going to buy a Nikon maybe take a look at the D5300, which is the next model up from the D3400, and compare them. I accidentally won both a D3100 and a D5100 (the precursors of the D3400 and D5300) on an online auction (reminder - never drink more than one glass of red wine when bidding on an online auction). The D5100 just seemed to be easier to use while the D3100 had a lot of settings hidden away in menus. I sold the D3100 and now wish that I had bought a D7100. Of course, that was some years ago now and they might be close to the same now.

As for lenses, stick with the kit lens that comes with the camera for a while before making any decisions. Photography takes you down trails that you didn't expect and you need a bit of time to figure out what you are going to need.

ameerat42
02-02-2019, 4:30pm
Welcome to AP, TFK...

I see you have asked some Qs in another thread, so will look and reply there.

Mary Anne
06-02-2019, 5:25pm
Hello and Welcome to AP, plenty to learn here.
I have Champagne tastes and a Beer budget, so had to keep saving till I could afford to get better lenses :nod:

Snooks
08-02-2019, 4:48pm
Hello - I like the idea of photography as a new hobby after metal detecting for 5 years with the finds drying up plus my shoulders wearing out.I will keep detecting but want to get my out doors fix capturing great photo's as well.

I have seen some great photo opportunities over the years while outside detecting and now want to position myself to capture such great images.

I also have read that the Nikon D3400 (D3500) is a great beginners SLR but wonder if it will suit my needs e.g. standard lenses or the 70mm - 300mm or ?

I have more questions but won't ask them here.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

The Fisher King :nod:

You are off to a great start, because you are in the right place :)

Mate, the crew in here will do everything possible to help you and guide you in your photographic journey. There are so many experienced people willing to share info and encourage you, you truly have come to the right place.

Enjoy the journey because it opens up a whole new world, you meet some great people and get advice that has been gathered over years and years of experience and it doesn't cost you anything except a please or a thank you.

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos and I would have loved to have seen those Sea Eagles mentioned in a different post :)

Dan05
09-02-2019, 8:31am
I can only second all the comments in here.

What I can add is I have yet to meet one troll in here. All are helpful and it’s a great place to develop and hone your skills.

Enter some comps, meet the crew and most of all shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro