PDA

View Full Version : Do We Need a Black Friday...?

ameerat42
27-11-2018, 1:05pm
...ANYthing? If it is defined as the first Friday after the US Thanksgiving holiday, why do we
have to follow suit? - Cultural indiscriminants that we must be!:rolleyes: - Just w:confused013ndering.

Geoff79
27-11-2018, 1:42pm
You don’t like bargains?! ;)

I have no idea who what why when and where the whole Black Friday thing is, but I do like cheap stuff so it’s ok by me.

Just wish I knew it was coming so I could have let my beer supplies run low and stock up on 20% off plus free shipping at BoozeBud!! I still got one great bargain but had spent too much on beer leading up to it to take full advantage. :(

ameerat42
27-11-2018, 2:33pm
Just "Sale" would do, not the associated hype. And bargains, what are they? I suspect they are:
"We ripped you off gooden proppa before, so here's a brief, slight reduction to make you think you're
winning. :cool: tee-hee!"

Geoff79
27-11-2018, 2:46pm
Just "Sale" would do, not the associated hype. And bargains, what are they? I suspect they are:
"We ripped you off gooden proppa before, so here's a brief, slight reduction. :cool: tee-hee!"

$45 for a case of Goose Island IPA was my crowning achievement. That’s a bargain! :)

But I do agree with you. Apart from the rare spot bargain like that it’s just slightly less expensive versions of too-expensive stuff. And I hate the whole following the US mentality too. ‘November Sale Bonanza’ appeals more to me than ‘Black Friday.’ Besides, in 2018 isn’t that just ridiculously racist anyway? ;)

Nick Cliff
27-11-2018, 3:28pm
The margins on some items do not seem to be reduced with camera gear in Oz that much at this stage, may be better to wait and buy one thing well than two things badly twice.
Does not seem to affect the price of jousting sticks, oh well maybe next year:)

cheers Nick

ameerat42
27-11-2018, 3:33pm
Does not seem to affect the price of jousting sticks, oh well maybe next year:)

You're right! - They haven't been on special for (middle) ages :(

Nick Cliff
27-11-2018, 3:35pm
Jeez Am, a good day ruined:)
I was hoping to have a tilt at windmills better sell the horse then.

mudman
27-11-2018, 4:32pm
i think we are losing our identity by blindly/ dumbly aping american customs and, language and such
less and less do i hear words like g'day and mate. now it's more buddy, hey and hi
then there is halloween, base ball, basket ball and black friday
there is nothing wrong with all this, for Americans.
but for us it's?

ameerat42
27-11-2018, 4:42pm
...but for us it's?...

:vomit1: is the word, I think. Anyway, "have a nice day" :D

Mary Anne
27-11-2018, 6:44pm
Off Topic a little and if that is not bad enough, I dont watch TV much though while passing ours recently I seen a Alec Baldwin Ad.
Seems Mr Baldwin does not know what a Ute is Why !!!!! I bet lots of Aussies know what a Pick Up is :rolleyes:
Mr Baldwin isn't that why the Google research engine was invented, You Are A Little Slow or should that be behind the times Mate :confused013

ameerat42
27-11-2018, 7:44pm
M A. You mean Alec Fuller? - On account of his being fuller himself :D

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, that should be "hisself":rolleyes:

MarkChap
27-11-2018, 8:41pm
AM, I was only thinking about this over the last couple of days

Everybody gets up in arms about following the "American" tradition of Halloween
But
I don't see people getting hot under the collar about the "American" tradition of "Black Friday" and the sales/bargains/deals, both online and more and more in local bricks and mortar retailers

ameerat42
27-11-2018, 8:57pm
There's no accounting for... - just about everything, actually :confused013 :D

Mark L
27-11-2018, 10:03pm
Black Friday makes me think of a bush fire disaster we should be commemorating. :confused013

Ross the fiddler
27-11-2018, 11:08pm
Black Friday makes me think of a bush fire disaster we should be commemorating. :confused013

That's what comes to mind first to me too & why are we celebrating it? Remembrance isn't normally done with material extravagance, however, there has been some tasty 15% off deals that was tempting especially with cash back bonuses (cash card etc), but I resisted. :rolleyes:

Glenda
28-11-2018, 7:44am
I too think we blindly follow American traditions. Well it's not really us - it's the retailers who foist them onto us for the sake of more sales. I know when I was young we never worried about Valentines Day, Halloween, etc. Now you visit the shops in October and they are decked out in Halloween things but, we've never had anyone trick or treating at our door. February it's roses and chocolates and November it's Black Friday sales everywhere. I did hear one news report say they expect the Black Friday sales to eclipse the Boxing Day sales shortly - maybe because it comes before Christmas.

Nowadays it seems there are almost constant sales whereas years ago they seemed to occur only once or twice a year. I remember my father telling me about a business that was having a closing down sale which was so successful they kept operating for another 5 years.

ameerat42
28-11-2018, 8:32am
Agree..., agree..., agree...

...we've never had anyone trick or treating at our door...
Oh, how lucky! They used to come around up to a couple of years ago, even though we nevva used to put
the silly balloons out to show it was welcome.:rolleyes:

Agree..., agree...

Geoff79
28-11-2018, 9:08am
I’ve hated the increase of interest in Halloween over the last few years because I always saw it as some stupid American thing too. We always made a point to go out for dinner on Halloween night to avoid the silliness. Or just pretended we weren’t home if they started too early. :)

Anyway, this year, early evening on Halloween, my kids asked to go trick or treating (stupid daycare!! ;) ) and I found myself zipping around town near and after 6pm trying to find some cheap last minute costumes at our local Woolies, Coles, Kmart it whatever was open. All completely sold out. Nothing. Not even some devil horns or something. Stupid day.

The kids weren’t too disappointed as a lovely staff member at Woolies let them pick some lollies from a bucket there, even though we didn’t buy anything, so that was nice. But sadly for them, no trick or treating happened. Though the time we got back home they were more or less asleep anyway.

Anyway, moral of the story is next year I’ll be buying costumes early and participating... well, via the kids. Never, never ever thought I’d see that day. Gasp.

jim
28-11-2018, 12:41pm
“Black Friday” and the rest are just marketing exercises—any excuse to promote a shopping frenzy. You’d think it would work just as well for Australian retailers as for Americans but its main effect for me is a vast increase in spam email from Adorama and the like. Nothing from Ted’s. Im grateful for that but wonder how many sales Ted’s are missing out on.

Halloween isn’t American but European. The American take on it is pretty seductive though.

Ross the fiddler
28-11-2018, 1:22pm
“Black Friday” and the rest are just marketing exercises—any excuse to promote a shopping frenzy. You’d think it would work just as well for Australian retailers as for Americans but its main effect for me is a vast increase in spam email from Adorama and the like. Nothing from Ted’s. Im grateful for that but wonder how many sales Ted’s are missing out on.

Halloween isn’t American but European. The American take on it is pretty seductive though.

You just have to buy or create an account with DigiDirect & DCW & others & then you'll get all their advertising emails too. ;)

tandeejay
29-11-2018, 11:12pm
I remember a TV show a couple of years back where someone did an experiment. They set up a stall selling muffins for 1 pound (they were in england...) and didn't have much success selling the muffins.
The next day, they advertised their muffins as 2 pounds, but onsale for half price, and they started selling like crazy
another day they set the price at 2 pounds with a buy 1 get one free, and again they sold like crazy
another day 2 pound muffins but 2 for the price of 1... more sales...

What they proved was that people will buy stuff if they think they are getting a good deal. They were still selling their muffins at 1 pound each, but the different way of advertising their price affected peoples thinking.

ameerat42
30-11-2018, 6:09am
^That's muffin new :rolleyes:

Liney
30-11-2018, 9:19pm
It used to be there was the January sales, then we had the January sales and the Boxing day sales. Now Black Friday comes along.

It's an excuse for the commercial entities to get us to spend money. Mind you the fact that all three major sales are within a month of each other I'm surprised they haven't made an excuse for something similar around the middle of the year.

Just remember they never sell anything at lower than the price they paid for it!

kevin301
10-12-2018, 12:42pm
I think the "Singles Day" 11.11 Sales online have better deals, especially for electronic gadgets :D
Black Friday is slowly becoming a global event.

but hey, soon there will be a reason for a sale pretty much all year round :cool: