PDA

View Full Version : Probably the oldest of Newbees

Snooks
12-09-2018, 7:53am
Hi there Guys :)

I go by the name of Snooks, having been an avid Snooker Player in my younger days. I live in the lower Blue Mountains, just above Penrith NSW and I guess I am still amazed that I have found myself posting in the forum. I am what you call a "Late Starter". I don't want to bore you, but I will briefly explain.

My Dad died 20 years ago and last week I sold a camera bag that contained an old Cannon AE1 + Program, some lenses and filters and other stuff. It has just sat in my wardrobe since he left us. He loved that camera so much....... Funny enough in 20 years I could never find a person that really "wanted" the camera or I would have given it to them. I would have enjoyed seeing someone LOVE that camera like Dad did.

People would have taken it to probably resell, but nobody actually wanted it. So I sold it on Ebay last week and I got a few hundred bucks and then "it" started.

I was reading stuff, looking at photos of cameras, reading about what they can do and for many years I have sold minor things on Ebay. I always get my son to take the photos using his smart phone, because I can't stand the things. I won't let a phone control my life, I make emergency calls and that's it. I guess i'm "Eccentric"? Or just a bit different.

Doing the listing I was reading about Cameras, what you can buy, how you can buy this cheaper model and it is great and you can learn things but the more expensive one takes great photos, it is easier to use and you simply push a button. That's about all you do....not really much skill involved.

I'm afraid money is tight and I was forced to retire due to ill health at age 54, but I have an amazing family and two sensational grand children. A Boy (1) & a Girl (3) and I have until they get married to learn how to take a great photos cause I so want to photograph their weddings. Don't ask me where this came from, I have never been interested in cameras before, but I guess adversity changes you as you mature.

So I have spent what is a very small amount (but the most that I can afford) on a luxury and purchased an old Nikon D200 and Sigma 24mm Ultra Wide Macro f/2.8. I bought this one because in it's day it was a pretty good camera, it can be full auto or I can take control and over expose, under expose and ruin all the photos that I take. But hey, one damn good one of those grand kids and I will be on Cloud 9. :)

I figure i love animals so the Macro Lens appeals. Our garden is full of Blue Tongues, the Rainbow Lorikeets come by for morning and afternoon tea and these awesome kids come over to see Nana and Grandad 3-4 times per week and they are into everything, including big sloppy cuddles. So I have plenty of things to take photos of, improve my skills and learn everything that I can to have fun and take photos. I think this is going to be fun :)

Now where is the darn on / off button? LOL

ameerat42
12-09-2018, 8:18am
Hi Snooks. Welcome to AP. Have a look in the Library and the "New to Photography" section.
Join in and enjoy.

Geoff79
12-09-2018, 10:16am
Welcome aboard. So you only have 25-30 years or so to learn how to take a decent photo? I think you’re in good hands. What I’ve learned here I consider invaluable.

Mary Anne
12-09-2018, 11:30am
Hi there Snooks and Welcome to AP. Yes you have plenty of time to learn.
I have 13 Grandchildren the eldest 39 years and only one a Granddaughter 30 years is married.
So Good Luck with that then. Times have changed its all about traveling, and enjoying life these days :nod:

Snooks
12-09-2018, 2:22pm
Welcome aboard. So you only have 25-30 years or so to learn how to take a decent photo? I think you’re in good hands. What I’ve learned here I consider invaluable.

WOW, you seem a great fellow, but then I saw your Avatar. :( lol, You saved my beloved Sea Eagles from the wooden spoon so thank you for that and for also making me feel so welcome in the forum :) Cheers.

Geoff79
12-09-2018, 3:38pm
WOW, you seem a great fellow, but then I saw your Avatar. :( lol, You saved my beloved Sea Eagles from the wooden spoon so thank you for that and for also making me feel so welcome in the forum :) Cheers.

Haha. The Eels definitely fought hard for that spoon. It still amazes me how bad Manly were with the personnel they have.

ricktas
12-09-2018, 5:48pm
Welcome to AP Snooks. I hope you learn a lot, share some photos and generally get involved around here. See you (and your photos) on the forums soon. And if something (either photographically or forum wise) is confusing, just ask.. and we will yell at Geoff79; to come and help you out :D

Geoff79
12-09-2018, 7:19pm
Welcome to AP Snooks. I hope you learn a lot, share some photos and generally get involved around here. See you (and your photos) on the forums soon. And if something (either photographically or forum wise) is confusing, just ask.. and we will yell at Geoff79; to come and help you out :D

And I will subsequently set you back about five years until someone who actually knows something about photography chimes in. ;)

Mark L
12-09-2018, 8:32pm
Great intro Snooks. We all have different ways ad reasons to get into photography.
So I'd like to sggest you pst some photos that you would like help to make better next time. Faster than trying to figure it all on your own. Nothing wrong with asking "how could I do this better."
The other thing is to comment on others photos. "I like this because ....... ." "how did you achieve ...... " sort of thing.
And who's going to coach Manly next year.

ricktas
12-09-2018, 9:55pm
And I will subsequently set you back about five years until someone who actually knows something about photography chimes in. ;)

Oh yeah.. dont ask Geoff79; he doesn't know anything... ask anyone else :cool:

Snooks
12-09-2018, 10:30pm
Great intro Snooks. We all have different ways ad reasons to get into photography.
So I'd like to sggest you pst some photos that you would like help to make better next time. Faster than trying to figure it all on your own. Nothing wrong with asking "how could I do this better."
The other thing is to comment on others photos. "I like this because ....... ." "how did you achieve ...... " sort of thing.
And who's going to coach Manly next year.

Definetly looking forward to learning heaps in here. So much to read I have been pondering over the threads for hours off and on, just reading and looking. Some great info and photos.

Penn, the owner of Manly is a Tight man money wise and really doesn't care about the Eagles as such, so he will probably appoint Cartwright as coach. The reason being he just signed a two year contract 8 weeks or so ago and if he sacks him or appoints a different coach he has to pay him out also. He wont spend a cent so how good Cartwright is, he doesn't care, hence i suspect he will keep him and sink us further :(

Thanks for the welcome everyone, its an awesome place to look through and yeh, I will post some images soon :)