PDA

View Full Version : Back again... :-D

mkooper
31-05-2018, 1:26pm
Hi all,

I've been absent for a long time and not a prolific poster.

I just swapped my Canon 40D and 100-400 L series lens for a Panasonic GX9 with 37.5mm f:1.8 prime lens. So I still have my 5DII and some of the smaller Canon lenses, including the great wide angle L series, but am really liking the Panasonic and the absolute ease of such a lightweight and small physical units provides.

I have added a M42 adaptor and was able to disassemble and clean some of my father's old lenses from 1966. Great little 50mm f:1.4 and the larger 135mm f:2 . I have a speed boost adaptor and a simple adaptor without any element and a set of macro tubes to go with those. I'd like to stick to prime lenses with this GX9.

So apart from being much smaller and a change in crop factor from 1:1.6 to 1:2 I seems to have gained some more in-camera features moving from 40D to GX9. I have also lost my extreme tele-zoom, but that was what was stopping me from going out to enjoy photography, the sheer weight of all the equipment.

GX9 Pros: Small, lightweight, inconspicuous, 2xcrop for tele lens, lenses from Panasonic and Olympus (Micro-Four-Thirds MFT), adapts with most other SLR lenses, great feature set, in-body and in-lens stabiliser, much cheaper.

GX9 Cons: 2xcrop for wide-angle shots, crap battery life, too many features - steep learning curve to learn the menu, higher noise ratio with higher ISO settings in low-light (f-stop doubled), auto-focus is slightly slower, I don't have a reliable RW2 (Panasonic RAW) editor - seems that the RW2 format changes according to the camera model - but hope that software will catch up soon with hardware releases.

So great for travel photography, street photography, nature. For hand-held photography the in-camera stabilisation off-sets the low light limitations. With the old lenses I have to practice my manual focusing skills, but with the zoom feature and "peaking" I'm getting quite adapt with it. I took it to QLD for a week's holiday and only really missed a lowlight wide angle lens for some night time street photography. Next purchase, got my eye on a 7.5mm f:2 Laowa (non-fisheye) lens and a 17.5 f:0.9 Voigtlander Nokton lens...

Happy to be back in the hobby with new incentive!

Mary Anne
31-05-2018, 2:18pm
Hi Mark and Welcome Back.. Yes its great to invest in some of the Lighter gear as you get older "Not saying your Old"
With all that Gear I will look forward to seeing what you post on the CC Forums.
And don't forget to comment on other Members Posts as that's what makes Forums work :nod:

ricktas
31-05-2018, 8:43pm
Welcome back