PDA

View Full Version : Which Grade Title would you choose?

bobt
28-05-2018, 10:47pm
If you were to join a camera club, and as a relative newcomer you were told you'd be put in the lower of two grades, which of the following names would you prefer that grade to be called?

ameerat42
28-05-2018, 10:56pm
Grade B, as "B grade" has unfortunate connotations:(
--And so that would also not D-grade the newcomer:nod:

bobt
28-05-2018, 11:08pm
--And so that would also not D-grade the newcomer:nod:

Interesting. The reason I ask is that we are currently re-writing our club rules, and I have a disagreement with one of my fellow writers on this issue. I'll post his comments in due course.

farmmax
29-05-2018, 2:31am
Neither. I'd prefer to be a Novice :)

ricktas
29-05-2018, 8:01am
B Grade for me. The choice between the two is just scemantics. Both mean the same thing.. one level below A Grade.

We don't call top level sporting fixtures Grade A, we call them A Grade. So for me B Grade is just fine.

ameerat42
29-05-2018, 9:25am
I like FM's idea - no grades.
But it depends on what the club wants to denote.

bobt
29-05-2018, 11:33am

That was my thought as well. I think that saying someone is "B Grade" is a pejorative term, and reads like "Second rate". Grade B to me is just the second of two Grades.

merlin1
29-05-2018, 3:17pm
What about Novice, and Open.
That's what we have at our club.

Ross.

bobt
29-05-2018, 3:25pm
What about Novice, and Open.
That's what we have at our club.

Ross.

I think "novice' is almost worse than B Grade. A lot of people in Grade B have been around a while and are certainly not novice. The problem lies in having grades which protect the less capable from the high achievers, otherwise they have little hope of winning anything in comps.

ameerat42
29-05-2018, 3:33pm
Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced?
(For a small fee.):cool:

bobt
29-05-2018, 3:46pm
Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced?
(For a small fee.):cool:

I like Intermediate .... actually i like them all, but three groups dilutes the numbers a bit too much. Does sound better than A and B though ...... :th3:

ameerat42
29-05-2018, 3:50pm
Beginner could be a rarely-used label?

Tannin
29-05-2018, 6:38pm
As a culture, we get too damn prissy about terms which mean what they mean. Sporting people constantly say "average" when they mean "poor"; politicians yammer about "average income" when they mean "way above average"; people say "bathroom" when they mean "lavatory" (lord only knows where this last lot go to clean their teeth and shower - possibly they just don't wash); people say "champion" when they mean "good player"; people say "star" when they mean "actor";' people say "superstar" when they mean "actor you might have heard of"; people say "legend" when they mean "champion". And so on.

Nothing wrong with being B-Grade. Tel 'em to harden up and stop being princesses.

Hell, I captained a cricket team to a premiership once. Save me and the wickie, not one of the lads had ever played the game before at any level. OK, we still hold the record for the longest losing streak of any team at that venue, ever, but we got better as we went along, and wound up with a premiership trophy, which still sits on my shelf. It says "K Grade". Who gives a damn? A win's a win and I'm proud of it.

jim
29-05-2018, 7:13pm
Bathroom is a euphemism for toilet which is a euphemism for lavatory which is a euphemism for—er what actually is it a euphemism for? I can't really say shit house. That would be rude.

ricktas
29-05-2018, 7:16pm
Well there you go

1. A Grade
2. Toilet Grade

:D

ameerat42
29-05-2018, 7:18pm
In short, Bob, don't try to be correct, as it's too politically incorrect these days. - Be unfocused (a good tog term); don't give a hoot;
be a square peg in a round hole; join the rest of the protoplasm; take up cat grooming:confused013

(But let us know what you decide.:cool:)

Geoff79
29-05-2018, 10:47pm
I'd go with Grade B, but I also wouldn't be worried about offending anyone with a B Grade as I'm sure the point is obvious. :)

bobt
29-05-2018, 11:12pm
Bathroom is a euphemism for toilet which is a euphemism for lavatory which is a euphemism for—er what actually is it a euphemism for? I can't really say shit house. That would be rude.

You forgot WC - Water Closet (or am I showing my age again). I have yet to find water in a closet, and what about Loo ... what's that short for? I think I'll have to go to the powder room and think about that one.

- - - Updated - - -

take up cat grooming:confused013

My cat grooms me ....... 8*)

fillum
29-05-2018, 11:41pm
Wouldn't matter to me. I think "B Grade" rolls off the tongue a bit easier so I'd imagine many would use the term "B Grade" in conversation even if the formal title was "Grade B".

I'd have thought there would be some sort of standard across camera clubs statewide / nationally for this sort of thing ?

ameerat42
30-05-2018, 9:00am
Bob. Use "level" - that's the spirit:eek:

ameerat42
30-05-2018, 10:48am
Alt., there's Auto Mode, Program Mode, and Fully Manual :confused013