PDA

View Full Version : Second Hand Camera and Gear stores?

bitsnpieces
21-04-2018, 11:19pm
So just wondering if any one knows any second hand camera stores other than Cash Converters where I can get some gear here in Melbourne?

Friend of mine is specifically looking for a Sony 85mm f/1.4 FE lens

Tannin
22-04-2018, 2:21am
I wouldn't buy a second-hand bootlace at Cash Converters.

I believe the top end of Elizabeth Street still has three or four dealers.

arthurking83
22-04-2018, 9:51am
Will be a struggle to find a S/H Sony 85/1.4 FE at the local stores!

Like Tony said, middle end(not top end) of Elizabeth St. Top end is too far and you find yourself at the Vic market.

Michaels on the corner of Lonsdale St(super expensive tho).
Camera Lane a short walk from there in Lt Bourke St at Hardware Lane.
Vanbar do sell some S/H stuff. In Fitzroy, on Gore St. Easy to get too. If driving, parking can be hard to come by in Gore St.

bitsnpieces
26-04-2018, 12:08am
Sorry for the late reply, been busy all week

Thanks Tony and Arthur

Yeah, I reckon it'd be hard to find but still worth a try, there are those who buy into the system only to diss it afterwards :confused013

jjphoto
26-04-2018, 10:09am
Sorry for the late reply, been busy all week

Thanks Tony and Arthur

Yeah, I reckon it'd be hard to find but still worth a try, there are those who buy into the system only to diss it afterwards :confused013

Try Camera Lane ( 391 Little Bourke St ) they have second hand gear.
Try The Camera Exchange ( 17/277-289 Middleborough Rd, Box Hill South ) I haven't been there for years but I'm told they're back to selling camera gear rather than vintage stereos, so probably worth a call or visit.

As others have said, very unlikely to find this lens second hand at a store, but it could happen. Evilbay might be better.

bitsnpieces
02-05-2018, 12:29am
Thank you
Will give them a shot also

Now my friend is looking for a Zeiss 12mm f2.8 also lol

arthurking83
02-05-2018, 9:49am
What camera/s is your friend looking to mount these lenses too?
... cropped E-mount or full frame ie. FE-mount?

Now my friend is looking for a Zeiss 12mm f2.8 also lol

Zeiss 12/2.8 is E mount only! .. not FE mount.
That is, it will only really work fully on an NEX type camera, not a full frame camera, except that it will fit and work in crop mode without vignetting.

Batis 18/2.8 is the equivalent FOV to the cropped sensor 12mm lens, but for FE-mount.

Gazza
02-05-2018, 10:03am
Have you considered one of the site sponsors? (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Zeiss%2012mm%20f2.8&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=&usedSearch=1)

Mary Anne
02-05-2018, 10:13pm
Have you considered one of the site sponsors? (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Zeiss%2012mm%20f2.8&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=&usedSearch=1)

That Used little beauty from NewYork Gazza will set Aussies back $1335.10 currency conversion, Duties and Taxes and then there is Postage.

You can buy a new one here much cheaper than that.

bitsnpieces
07-05-2018, 1:44am
I forgot all about the sponsors, can look into it anyways, but my friend has a Sony camera, just not sure which one, hadn't asked.

I'll look into the Batis too, just incase. Thanks Arthur

Nick Cliff
07-05-2018, 9:15am
KEH has an online second hand camera store in the USA.
May be worth a look or to place an order if your friend has not seen their site.
Has your friend considered the fast full frame Nikon wide angle prime lenses.

arthurking83
07-05-2018, 1:13pm
.... but my friend has a Sony camera, just not sure which one, hadn't asked.

Yeah, it's important to know which sensor format it is.
That is, E mount(cropped) or FE(full frame).

Another wide angle option for FE is the 12-24 zoom. Very good image sharpness according to all reviews(Lensrental gives you a very good idea of it's sharpness).
It is only f/4 though if f/2.8 was a priority for your friend.

But again, if the camera is an E-mount, then the 12-24 would be a bit of a waste ... unless!! .. they also contemplating a switch from E to FE camera at some point too.

From memory the Sony 12-24 is about $2K tho.

mpb
07-05-2018, 1:32pm
I would think these higher end type Sony lens would be very hard to find in a store second hand.

Have you tried ebay, currently one there, also a Zeiss Batis 85 1.8.