PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Dry Cabinet

Bear Dale
18-03-2018, 5:50pm
Do you store your gear in an electronic dry cabinet?

Gazza
18-03-2018, 6:13pm
With only 4.6mm of rain so far this year and an average humidity of around 20%(?) I count my self lucky that I'm able to save that money. So no...:D

cupic
18-03-2018, 9:11pm
I do as I pick up a Wonderful Cabinet from a former member 2 Thumbs

swifty
18-03-2018, 11:25pm
Currently living in Singapore so dry cabinets are a must here.
Had a digicabi for 4+ years when it died recently.
Bought a Sirui replacement. So far uneventful, which is the way it should be.

Glenda
19-03-2018, 7:46am
No - but when not in use my cameras live in bags which contain silicone moisture removers. Also when it's hot and humid up here, which is most of summer, the air-con is blasting. To date I haven't had a problem.

Mary Anne
19-03-2018, 10:47am
No, and the humidity has been terrible here this wet season with so much rain.. Though I have never had any problem with my photography gear.
My three most used cameras/lens combos are all sitting on the spare bed in the computer room, lenses on shelf odd things in drawers Moisture Absorber containers on shelf.
I use those $3 Moisture Absorber containers that last around two months though lately they fill up every 6 weeks.

Tannin
19-03-2018, 1:45pm
No. In most years we get a lot of humid days and a lot of hot days, but very seldom both at the same time. It tends to be warm and dry or cold and wet. Neither encourages growth of fungus.

I do spend weeks, sometimes months, at a time up north where it is often hot and wet, and that worries me a little. But I cannot imagine what could sensibly be done about it. There is certainly no room for a cabinet in amongst my travel rig.

jim
19-03-2018, 2:16pm
Indeed. Where I come from (Christchurch) annual average humidity 78%, cool climate: nobody has or needs a dry box. Where I am now (Loei) annual average humidity 75%, warm climate: you’ll get a dry box or lose your equipment.

Brian500au
19-03-2018, 4:46pm
I used one when I lived in Singapore but when returning to Melbourne I sold it, preferring to keep my gear in a safe. I would have kept the dry cabinet as a storage box but I always worried about a break in etc. Singapore you tend to live in apartments with less chance of burglaries.

Bear Dale
19-03-2018, 6:13pm
They're pretty cheap insurance against fungus. I lost a couple of old Konica 35mm lenses to fungus.

Being right on the water where we live and with the predominant n'easter's coming in off the sea the humidity can be high for extended periods.

Geoff79
19-03-2018, 9:30pm
I’ve never heard of such a thing. Living on the sunny central coast of NSW isn’t overly humid so I hope I don’t need it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk