PDA

View Full Version : Your age?

Bear Dale
17-03-2018, 11:27pm
Out of interest, what is your age?

I'm 55 and joined the forum when I was 46.

I can definitely feel a difference in my body in those 9 years!

Tannin
17-03-2018, 11:46pm
That depends of whether you want it in Celsius or Fahrenheit.

mudman
18-03-2018, 12:05am
in kilograms i am slightly younger than my weight

ameerat42
18-03-2018, 3:29am
Age? - It depends... on how long I take to answer.:p

Geoff Port
18-03-2018, 7:34am
Well, I joined when I was younger than I am now. For some reason my feet feel older than the rest of me apart from my back, shoulders and hands. My brain however still thinks like a 21 yr old.
Hope that is a satisfactory answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricktas
18-03-2018, 8:43am
I am almost 52. I was 41 when I joined AP, in its early days, and took over the site later the same year. And I agree Jim, certainly can tell the difference in the last 10 years, up till the 40's everything was basically the same. But now I have a few creaks, aches etc.

Gazza
18-03-2018, 8:45am
Great question, Jim - :th3:

Just so happens, my birthday re-occurs once again at the end of this month. If you're planning anything, a new lens would be nice :grinning01:

Cheers - :beer_mug:←2nd choice...

ricktas
18-03-2018, 9:55am
Just a note : Out Of Focus forum : is a public forum. Non members can see what is posted in here. So please use discretion when posting about age etc. Be careful not to give to much detail about yourself in a thread that is open to access for anyone on the net.

Bear Dale
18-03-2018, 5:52pm
I'm another day older now :)

- - - Updated - - -

Great question, Jim - :th3:

Just so happens, my birthday re-occurs once again at the end of this month. If you're planning anything, a new lens would be nice :grinning01:

Cheers - :beer_mug:←2nd choice...

AF-S NIKKOR 600mm f/4E FL ED VR ????

:)

ameerat42
18-03-2018, 5:52pm
I'm another day older now :)

You too, eh?:eek:

Bear Dale
18-03-2018, 6:05pm
You too, eh?:eek:

You too?

Glad you didn't just get 12 hours older :)

cupic
18-03-2018, 9:14pm
I have been 21 year old for years now and dont want to change even thou father time has some arguments on that

bobt
18-03-2018, 11:03pm
I'd have to differentiate between mental age and physical age ...... the first doesn't change a lot, but the second one operates in an accelerated time-frame!

jim
19-03-2018, 2:16am
I'm 56 and generally feel much the same as I did 20 years ago. Though I did a bit of painting early last year and was astonished to find that I'd done my rotator cuff, and couldn't raise my arm without fairly serious pain. That wouldn't have happened 20 years ago.

ApolloLXII
19-03-2018, 6:30am
Age is a matter of feeling, not of years..................................

Bear Dale
19-03-2018, 6:17pm
I'm 56 and generally feel much the same as I did 20 years ago. Though I did a bit of painting early last year and was astonished to find that I'd done my rotator cuff, and couldn't raise my arm without fairly serious pain. That wouldn't have happened 20 years ago.

Jim, I've just done a day in over waist deep water repairing our jetty and moorings. I knew I would be a bit sore, but thought I was going ok until I sat down for a coffee, it was hard to get back up!

I think I might be feeling 20 years older in the morning :(

Geoff79
19-03-2018, 9:28pm
I’m in the last stages of 38. My birthday isn’t too far off, so in about a month and half I’ll be 37.

That’s how it works, isn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tandeejay
19-03-2018, 9:37pm
To quote from an old movie (either Remo Williams, or Karate Kid... can't remember which...)

To an apricot I am ancient
To a mountain, I am hardly just begun
But for a man, I am just right

:nod:

Mark L
20-03-2018, 10:08pm
I expect a letter from the Queen in a couple of months time.
:lol:

Bear Dale
20-03-2018, 11:27pm

She might not make a couple more months ;)

John King
21-03-2018, 10:27am
Jim, I'm old enough to be a member of SOFA - Silly Old Fart's Association ... :nod:.

ameerat42
21-03-2018, 10:29am
Jim, I'm old enough to be a member of SOFA... :nod:.
Do you have to furnish your age? :p:p

Bear Dale
21-03-2018, 11:37am
Jim, I'm old enough to be a member of SOFA - Silly Old Fart's Association ... :nod:.

LOL, love it!

:) :) :)

Claire M
21-03-2018, 9:50pm
Well I'm aged between both Jims's ages. ;)

mongo
22-03-2018, 12:24am
Mongo is busy right now cutting himself in half. He will let you know his age when he finishes counting the rings. He hopes he has enough petrol in the chainsaw and enough toes for the counting exercise.

ricktas
22-03-2018, 8:18am

You going on an outback bus trip with Priscilla...again?

ameerat42
22-03-2018, 9:09am
Mongo is busy right now cutting himself in half. He will let you know his age when he finishes counting the rings. He hopes he has enough petrol in the chainsaw and enough toes for the counting exercise.

Hmm! - Now if you had been of stone, you could let us know how old the rock of ages is.
However, I'll go with the tree of life:nod:

Colin B
22-03-2018, 11:16am
I am closing in on 71 this June and still reasonably functional apart from the same shoulder problems as Jim. I have been threatened with surgery on it a couple of times but find physiotherapy works as well and doesn't involve having one arm out of action for 6 weeks.

feathers
22-03-2018, 12:14pm
Mongo, try carbon dating instead. It would have to be less painful? :D

Bear Dale
22-03-2018, 12:38pm
I remember talking to a lady that was 104 (who had all her faculties), she told me in her mind she was just the same as when she was 19, it was her body that had changed.

Bensch
22-03-2018, 1:02pm
Currently 34, but I would swear that some days I'm more like 90, get up and I sound like a bowl of rice bubbles....

jim
22-03-2018, 1:08pm
I am closing in on 71 this June and still reasonably functional apart from the same shoulder problems as Jim. I have been threatened with surgery on it a couple of times but find physiotherapy works as well and doesn't involve having one arm out of action for 6 weeks.

Colin, I found exercise ultimately worked, though it took 9 months before it was back to normal. From what I’ve heard surgery is very much a last resort

Boo53
23-03-2018, 12:18am
Colin, I found exercise ultimately worked, though it took 9 months before it was back to normal. From what I’ve heard surgery is very much a last resort

My Right Shoulder was hurt in '92, but then miss diagnosed and became a frozen shoulder pretty quickly.

Surgeon says replacement but doesn't want to do it until I'm 65. Thats now only a few months away but about 6 years ago the local physio employed a new staff member who had done her Masters on Shoulders.

Instead of gently gently and a bit of strengthening it became pretty significant manipulation of the joint, providing some freeing up of the "Freeze" and a reduction in pain. She moved on to work on the International Tennis Professional Tour but the senior Physio took over (she's doing a PhD on hips and had previously had a staff member who had done his PhD on Knees - this is a small country town practice)

Kept up the Physio for a number of years until I started Kayaking seriously and that now does the trick

bobt
23-03-2018, 10:23am

Yes and no ... I had similar problems in my left shoulder, and had it operated on. Works fine now. Same thing happened to the right shoulder, but this time they chopped off my biceps tendon altogether, so now I don't have one. Took a short while to heal, but with little improvement. I was offered another operation free of charge, but declined. After another year it is now OK again. Getting old sucks, but death isn't all that appealing either.

John King
23-03-2018, 10:28am

Colin, I had frozen shoulder syndrome for about 6-8 months. Injection of anaesthetic and corticosteroids during ultrasound examination fixed it within days. Physiotherapy for about 6 months for both it and osteoarthritis in my lumbar facet joints and almost everywhere else. I'm almost exactly the same age as you.

ameerat42
23-03-2018, 10:42am
New title for thread:

Your Agues... (and other ailments) :(:p

Colin B
23-03-2018, 11:32am
Yep, steroids are great for knocking inflammation down fast but the follow up with the physio is where the real repair work gets done. My physio once told me that in most cases getting back 70 percent strength and mobility is regarded as a good result from surgery so it is best left as a last resort.

Gazza
23-03-2018, 1:59pm
New title for thread:

Your Agues... (and other ailments) :(:p
Not wishing to offend, but this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue7wM0QC5LE) classic came to mind....:D

ameerat42
23-03-2018, 4:57pm
Ha-ha-ha...!

That's nuthen'... - Why, I remember...:lol2:

Bear Dale
23-03-2018, 6:38pm
I remember Sydney phone numbers only being 6 digits.

I'm not old enough to remember when they were preceded by two letters of the alphabet, even though our old family home still had it near the phone. I think from a distant memory it was FH1156 :confused013

John King
23-03-2018, 6:49pm
I remember ours in Brisbane from the early 1950s ... UX 1827 ... Became 79 1827 a bit later on.

John King
23-03-2018, 9:28pm
(Mooloolaba 310) was our beach house. It was initially a manual exchange in 1951!

(Nipan 7U) was one of our properties. Manual exchange and party line into the late 1960s. It is in the Dawson Valley. The property is now an open cut coal mine. Very sad really.

https://canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/albums/digitised/KMSE-Kianga_Test0001_IGR.jpg

It was a beautiful property ... :nod: :(.

ameerat42
24-03-2018, 10:08am
I've added up all the ages in this thread so far, and divided by the number of forum members.

On average, the age is not so young after all!! :eek:

bobt
24-03-2018, 10:18am
I've added up all the ages in this thread so far, and divided by the number of forum members.
On average, the age is not so young after all !! :eek:

What you mean to say is that we have such a collective wisdom and unparalleled level of experience, that the younger members should be completely awestruck by being in our presence.

That is why we exemplify the much abused term "awesome".

Or am I being too modest .... ????

ameerat42
24-03-2018, 10:19am
No, just awful:p

Bear Dale
24-03-2018, 11:14am
Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance.

Liney
26-03-2018, 12:00pm
Apparently i'm old enough to know better, according to the mem'sahib at least. She always says she's as young as the man she feels, which makes me a toy boy I think.

We came to the conclusion at work that growing old was mandatory, but growing up was merely advisory.

Personally I am not concerned about my age, merely that each day I beat my personal best for the number of consecutive days alive....

MissionMan
26-03-2018, 12:05pm
I'm 24 with 20 years experience.

ricktas
26-03-2018, 12:42pm
Apparently i'm old enough to know better, according to the mem'sahib at least. She always says she's as young as the man she feels, which makes me a toy boy I think.

We came to the conclusion at work that growing old was mandatory, but growing up was merely advisory.

Personally I am not concerned about my age, merely that each day I beat my personal best for the number of consecutive days alive....

I always like the saying that 'if you have not grown up by the time you hit 50, you don't have to'

swifty
26-03-2018, 2:09pm
I always like the saying that 'if you have not grown up by the time you hit 50, you don't have to'

Now that's something I can get behind. But I petition to lower that age of holdout to 40 :D

bobt
26-03-2018, 10:45pm

I used to tell my mother "If old age is catching up, walk a little faster". I've got to the point where I think I need to start running! :nod: