PDA

View Full Version : Back to top button on forum

Geoff Port
02-02-2018, 7:08pm
I hope this is the right area to place this post.
Is anyone having a nil response when the back to top button is clicked on the forum?
Mine was working this morning but not this evening. :confused013

ricktas
02-02-2018, 7:10pm
Still works for me. Which browser?? .. .and if you try a different browser does it work

ameerat42
02-02-2018, 7:14pm
Geoff. Whatcher mean exactly? Home button on keyboard? Win OS?

- - - Updated - - -

PS: If all yes, yes for me.

Tannin
02-02-2018, 7:15pm
There is a button on your keyboard especially for this. You will find it immediately to the right of the "insert" key and it's labelled "home".

ricktas
02-02-2018, 7:59pm
One some laptops it is the left arrow key with the Fn key.. usually if the keyboard does not have the keypad on the right

jim
02-02-2018, 8:46pm
There is a button on your keyboard especially for this. You will find it immediately to the right of the "insert" key and it's labelled "home".

Not unless I use my 1992 IBM keyboard there isn't.

Gazza
02-02-2018, 8:56pm
I hope this is the right area to place this post.
Is anyone having a nil response when the back to top button is clicked on the forum?
Mine was working this morning but not this evening. :confused013
Interesting that you mention this. It works for me, always has, but only once. If I scroll back down and have another read or another look it does absolutely nothing...has been that way as long as I can remember.

Tannin
02-02-2018, 9:47pm
Gazza, that's because the "top" button is in fact an ordinary HTML link to a marker in the current page. (The page code sets that marker automatically, in this case at the top of the page.) When you click it the first time, your browser, which is currently at forum/showthread/name_of_page sees a link to a technically different place: forum/showthread/name_of_page#top and goes there. When you scroll down and then click on it a second time, the browser sees that you are at forum/showthread/name_of_page#top and you have clicked on a link to forum/showthread/name_of_page#top - i.e., the same place you already are at (none of its business that you have scrolled) and very properly ignores the link because you are already there.

(Not that learning this helps in any practical way.)

ameerat42
02-02-2018, 10:06pm
Now that I know what you're talking about and have tried it, I can report it has worked a
half dozen or so times. But you've gone to bed and won't see this till later. - Not too late
I hope:p

Geoff Port
03-02-2018, 7:46am
OK! Tannin has answered my query satisfactorily.
Yes Ammerat I had gone to bed.
This morning I gave my top button a little push and it worked. Scrolled down, pushed again, no reaction. Changed pages, :th3::th3::th3:
Jim, why do you use a 1992 IBM keyboard?
Thankyou one and all.

Tannin
03-02-2018, 9:25am
IBM invented the modern keyboard in the early 1980s, and the IBM layout has long since become the universal standard, used by all manufacturers bar one or two particularly dopey ones. (Yes, I'm looking at you Microsoft. I well remember you making a complete dog's breakfast of several keyboard designs not too many years ago.)

John King
03-02-2018, 10:32am
A circa 1990s IBM amphitheatre keyboard I inherited from a client is the best of all the keyboards lying around the house. By far the best build quality and ergonomics.

It's very difficult to buy decent keyboards in Australia these days.

swifty
03-02-2018, 12:20pm
Wow, you learn something everyday. All these years and I'd never used the home keystroke.
But contrary to Gazza's experience, it doesn't just work once for me. It'll keep bringing me up to the top (except whilst I'm typing in the reply box that I'm doing right now, in which case it brings me to the start of the line).

ameerat42
03-02-2018, 1:11pm
Keyboards, fleaboards!:p:p

The futuristic keyboard. This model also comes with two Alt-reality keys! :cool:

Mark L
03-02-2018, 9:12pm
A circa 1990s IBM amphitheatre keyboard I inherited from a client is the best of all the keyboards lying around the house. By far the best build quality and ergonomics.

And thus it is just " lying around the house.":)