PDA

View Full Version : THE greatest photograph of all time.

arthurking83
27-01-2018, 6:15pm
Maybe apart from the very first photo ever captured, which I think no longer exists ..

.. people count the earliest known photo (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_photography) as the first photo .. which is probably close enough, but not it!
That still has to be one of the greatest ever too, but it's not the first.

In my view, 'Earthrise' IS the greatest photo ever.
And it's not so much for it's technical excellence or 'golden rule' or 'rule of thirds' composition .. nor artistic prowess .. (to me) it's just powerful symbol of how far humans have come .. and how much further we have to go.

So there you have it, the #1 and #2 greatest photo(s) of all time, which could easily be transposed in an opposite rating depending on mood at the time of said rating.
(BTW! .. I'm pretty much a bit of a sciencey geek, so space travel clouds my judgement.
OTOH, I'm also a photography geek ... and therefore 'the first', or 'one of the first photo(s)' .. and definitely the oldest surviving photo makes for a very compelling argument, as well.

Which one to vote for :confused013

Anyhow ... some new info as to who took Earthrise has come to light:

https://youtu.be/dE-vOscpiNc

To be honest, doesn't matter who actually took the shot, could easily have been any of them operating the camera at the time .. just nice to have a bit more precision of data on the facts surrounding the image.

jim
27-01-2018, 8:30pm
Never heard that audio before. Brilliant! well done those guys.

Mary Anne
27-01-2018, 9:55pm
How wonderful is that and Thanks for Sharing AK.

Glenda
28-01-2018, 6:24am
That's amazing. I can only imagine the thrill it would have been for them to see their home planet rise behind the moon like that.

ricktas
28-01-2018, 7:01am
Wonderful. And here we all sit on AP answering questions about how to best photograph the moon. In reverse it seems a 200mm lens, 250 @f/11 is the correct answer :D

feathers
28-01-2018, 9:01am
What a privilege. Always loved that shot. Never heard the sound track before. Great, and thanks for sharing.

ameerat42
28-01-2018, 9:25am
V. int. Ta Kym.

paulheath
28-01-2018, 10:34am
but the earth is flat :nod::lol::lol::lol:

Ross M
28-01-2018, 8:06pm
Awe inspiring video. Thanks for sharing.

olympuse620
28-01-2018, 8:57pm
Very cool video, thanks for sharing