PDA

View Full Version : Get the Gimp

Nikonoff
05-01-2018, 7:26pm
Hi everyone,

I had a crack at using the latest version of GIMP during the week, just wanted to see how it stacked up against CC LR. I mucked around for an hour or so and managed to get it to open an NEF file but it was only the size of a Windows extra large icon. Handles JPEG's perfectly, so a little more research showed that I needed UFRAW as well to cope with the NEF's, but predictably that wouldn't install, possibly something to do with the 64 bit MS processor - maybe???. So the bottom line is I really have no idea how it compares to LR. Does anyone here use GIMP it as their mainstay editing/enhancement program?

MarkChap
07-02-2018, 3:14pm
I have not used GIMP, but my understanding is that GIMP would be more so an alternative to Photoshop
Lightroom is raw editor to do your basic edits first

Probably not a good comparison even if you can get it to work for you

ameerat42
07-02-2018, 3:34pm
^^What Mark said. It is an alternative to Photoshop, not primarily a raw converter, as
you found out by having to use UFRAW. So you can't compare LR and GIMP.

My pref is for Photoshop, but it just depends what interface you're used to. When it
comes to it, they all do much the same thing. GIMP and Pshop will handle any bitmap
type file, like jpeg, tiff, BMP..., in various bit-depth, like up to 8, 16, and maybe 32.

richtbw
08-02-2018, 11:41pm
You can also try RAW Therapee to edit your RAW files, save as TIFF/JPEG and edit further in GIMP.