PDA

View Full Version : Chrome

Glenda
27-11-2017, 6:44am
Is anyone else having problems with Chrome? Mine has been super slow for the last few days and last night stopped working altogether. Works fine on Gordon's PC, just not working on my Mac. Safari was working fine so I downloaded Firefox. Just inconvenient as Chrome stored all my common passwords - now I'm having to reset everything:(

ameerat42
27-11-2017, 8:18am
Llps. I use Win 10, and haven't run Cr since yesterday, when I used it to watch an on-line
HD video. I had no trouble, and I did use it a few times over the past few days as I was
actually finding FFox a pain/bane. I'm now back to FFox.

First, do you have the latest version of Cr? If it works well on other machines, try to find
why it's not doing so on yours. Usually it is add-ons that cause problems. Have you had
any new ones installed lately?

The usual method is to run the browser in Safe Mode*, which disables all add-ons. Try a few
of your usual browsing tasks. Then progressively switch on the add-ons to see if any one of
them causes the same issue.

Do you have an equivalent of Windows Task Manager in your Mac OS? That is a good check for
performance issues.

* Safe Mode - of course it has to be different for Cr!! Look at this article. (https://itstillworks.com/safe-mode-google-chrome-20194.html)

Glenda
27-11-2017, 9:59am
Thanks Am. Reading their help forum the slowness I experienced seems to be happening to a few people. Firefox seems good at present so think I'll just continue with it for a while. Even uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome would mean I have to reset all my saved passwords anyway:(

ameerat42
27-11-2017, 10:09am
I don't know if you would have to do that. I have "completely uninstalled" FFox in the past
for a completely clean reinstall, only to find "virtually everything" was still there:confused013

However, what you say may still happen. Again :confused013

Mark L
27-11-2017, 7:54pm
Even uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome would mean I have to reset all my saved passwords anyway:(
If you have a google account store all you passwords and bookmarks and stuff in there. Apparently when you reinstall Chrome the google account just remembers and updates everything or something.:)

Glenda
28-11-2017, 6:43am
Uninstalled then reinstalled it last night and it seemed to be working okay. Clicked on it this morning and it took ages to open this morning. I'll stick to Firefox for now I think.

Gazza
28-11-2017, 7:34am
Uninstalled then reinstalled it last night and it seemed to be working okay. Clicked on it this morning and it took ages to open this morning. I'll stick to Firefox for now I think.
There's an option somewhere in FF that allows you to 'Import' passwords from Chrome...might help with that ageing memory (Gazza ducks for cover :D)

ameerat42
28-11-2017, 7:51am
Llps. Specifically, did you try the "Safe Mode" - Incognito Mode in Chrome?
What you did would only reinstall exactly what you already had.

Geoff79
28-11-2017, 7:54am
For the record, I use chrome on my Mac and touch wood, had no issues with it in recent days.

I have a little PC I more or less only use for downloads and the Firefox on that, as always, is unbearably slow. But so was chrome, hence why I deal with the unbearably slow Firefox, as it does at least work properly, eventually, and chrome didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenda
28-11-2017, 8:26am
There's an option somewhere in FF that allows you to 'Import' passwords from Chrome...might help with that ageing memory (Gazza ducks for cover :D)
As you should :lol:

Llps. Specifically, did you try the "Safe Mode" - Incognito Mode in Chrome?
What you did would only reinstall exactly what you already had.

No, forgot about that yesterday Am and I got so sick of watching it just bounce and not open this morning I just forced quit.

- - - Updated - - -

For the record, I use chrome on my Mac and touch wood, had no issues with it in recent days.

I have a little PC I more or less only use for downloads and the Firefox on that, as always, is unbearably slow. But so was chrome, hence why I deal with the unbearably slow Firefox, as it does at least work properly, eventually, and chrome didn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new Firefox I downloaded is nice and fast on the iMac Geoff.

ameerat42
28-11-2017, 8:26am
Nevertheless, it's the standard test. When you feel better, perhaps:D