PDA

View Full Version : Firefox

ricktas
18-11-2017, 8:07pm
If like me, you had swapped from firefox to another browser because you were fed up with how slow and useless firefox had become, then do I have a deal for you :D

Mozilla had realised that firefox was being swapped out for other browsers and they have done something about it. The other day (14th November) Mozilla announced Firefox Quantum. In their own words, "Firefox Quantum is over twice as fast as Firefox from 6 months ago, built on a completely overhauled core engine with brand new technology stolen from our advanced research group".

I installed it on the 14th and by crikey it is zippy.

You might find some of your add-ons are not compatible (yet), for example fxif, for EXIF viewing is not working.

But if you want to revisit Firefox, I think now would be a good time to take a look.

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2017/11/14/introducing-firefox-quantum/

Tannin
18-11-2017, 8:17pm
Have they stopped the relentless dumbing down of the user interface yet? Will it run Classic Theme Restorer (the essential Firefox UI fix) now? Or ever? If no, they can shove it where the sun don'rt shine.

If I want something that looks, tastes, and acts like Chrome, why wouldn't I use Chrome?

Browser performance, by the way, is utterly meaningless on modern hardware. (Unless the browser is so badly designed that it chugs down as soon as you have a few tabs open. Ahem ... Chrome AKA "memory hog". Ahem ... some but not all versions of Firefox.) Actual performance is what matters, and that is determined by the slowest link in the chain, which is of course the machine-human interface - i.e., the very thing that the morons running Firefox development are determined to wreck.

ameerat42
18-11-2017, 8:18pm
Well, all the CARP you have to about:config OUT is tiresome. :rolleyes:

Cage
18-11-2017, 8:30pm
I use both Chrome and Firefox, some things work better on one than the other.

And yes, the Quantum upgrade is much faster.

jim
18-11-2017, 8:32pm
Agreed, Rick. The new Firefox is brilliant.

And, by default, at least, it looks awful.

ameerat42
19-11-2017, 9:50am
Guys. I searched on "making firefox compatible with legacy add-ons" and so far have found:
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/08/08/firefox-your-options-to-run-legacy-add-ons/
and
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/10/03/legacy-add-on-support-on-firefox-esr/
Reading...

Tannin
19-11-2017, 3:59pm
Yep, been running ESR for some time now. No idea what I'll do in June next year. If I happen to get my hands on a Firefox developer between now and then, I'll be in jail. Probably, I'll become world famous for five minutes as the Ballarat Strangler.

ameerat42
19-11-2017, 6:36pm
I've cobbled a workaround for the right-click translator.
I now have a bookmark button to a reasonable translating engine in the
bookmarks toolbar. A bit of highlighting and pasting, but it's:
Лучше, чем ничего, or Meglio di niente, or Besser als gar Nichts...:confused013

--Which is all to say, "better than nothing":rolleyes:

bitsnpieces
19-11-2017, 7:52pm
I've also found the new Firefox quite zippy and it's nice that it works fast, nevertheless, I've only been using Firefox whenever I need to jump onto eBay because for some odd reason, Chrome just chugs whenever it's on eBay.

martycon
19-11-2017, 8:33pm
My banks security system does not like chrome, so that is good enough for me to use Firefox, and I am seeing exif again, wherever I look. Ff suits me fine, but I am not a rabid browser.
cheers marty

richtbw
20-11-2017, 11:40pm
The new Firefox works for me. Definitely faster

ameerat42
24-11-2017, 5:46pm
Oh, Kay! - Oh, Kay!...

Does anybody REALLY know how to permanently display the Downloads Arrow in the present
version of FFox? - Of course I have read and tried - to no avail - all the stated "fixes" in the
FFox and Mozilla support forums:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You can reply even if you are not Kay:nod:

Mark L
24-11-2017, 9:19pm
Does anybody REALLY know how to permanently display the Downloads Arrow in the present
version of FFox? -

Let a mild ludite have a try here. Click on the three bars thing at to right of your tool-bar. Select customise. Drag and drop the Download arrow into your tool-bar. (I hope it's called the Tool-bar, but you'll get the idea I think.)

ameerat42
25-11-2017, 10:00am
You're not a Luddite at all, Mark. Anyway, it's now OK. It seems the arrow is not always active
as in previous versions.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Meant to say: tried that first.

ameerat42
01-12-2017, 10:13am
(Huh! Just got V57.0.1)

mikew09
01-12-2017, 9:00pm
I use both Chrome and Firefox, some things work better on one than the other.

And yes, the Quantum upgrade is much faster.

Same - I use both where for the best fit. My remote AccessAnywhere session works so much better in Firefox and for a bit that was all I used it for but as you say Rick, the new build is a cracka so maybe get a little more preference now.