PDA

View Full Version : How young is everyone?

dolina
25-10-2017, 5:59am
AP is probably the most active Australian forum outside of Facebook. I am wondering how young everyone is.

ameerat42
25-10-2017, 8:37am
AP is probably the most active Australian forum outside of Facebook. I am wondering how young everyone is.
Hmm! Now where have I heard that before?:umm:

Oh, here...:party7:

TalkPhotography is probably the most active photography forum outside of Facebook. I am wondering how young everyone is.
and here...:sport18:

POTN is probably the most active photography forum outside of Facebook. I am wondering how young everyone is.

Could be a world-wide trend:scrtch::shh::crike:

Filter
25-10-2017, 10:03am
Yea, we're in front....

mikew09
25-10-2017, 11:39am
I am a little surprised to be honest - looking at the numbers so far it is looking more like a retirement home than a photography group :lol:

Cage
25-10-2017, 12:17pm
I am a little surprised to be honest - looking at the numbers so far it is looking more like a retirement home than a photography group :lol:

I resemble that remark. :lol2:

As the senior member here, to date, I feel it is my duty to keep you young'uns in check. :nod:

mikew09
25-10-2017, 12:38pm

As the senior member here, to date, I feel it is my duty to keep you young'uns in check. :nod:

Yes Sir :lol:

Least when I talk about how starting a car back in the day was an art for every different model - you will get it. pump accelerator twice and hold half open and be carefull not to flood, pull out the choke about 2/3rds out and crank her over till she fires then adjust accordingly. Change a head on my EJ holden in 15 mins on a good day - cant even find the spark plugs now hahahahahaha.

Cage
25-10-2017, 1:17pm
Aha, the good 'ole days.

If you couldn't double-shuffle the FJ back to 1st at 20mph you just weren't with it. And if your car wouldn't start, it took you about 2 minutes flat to find out whether the problem was fuel or spark, without using a computer.

ricktas
25-10-2017, 2:27pm

Give it your best shot. This 50 something year old will sit back with a cider and watch you keep em in check

Geoff79
25-10-2017, 2:42pm
I’m 13. Looking forward to having a few friends over for my upcoming 14th birthday next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geoff79
25-10-2017, 2:46pm
Hilarity aside, I was hoping this thread was serious as I’m a little curious.

There does seem to be, shall we say, a wealth of knowledge on this site. Which is cool. Different scene to the zomfg rofl @ what my bff did l8 yesterdayz vibe you get elsewhere on the interweb.

mikew09
25-10-2017, 2:53pm
Aha, the good 'ole days.

If you couldn't double-shuffle the FJ back to 1st at 20mph you just weren't with it. And if your car wouldn't start, it took you about 2 minutes flat to find out whether the problem was fuel or spark, without using a computer.

Double shuffle on the column shift - those were the days ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

I’m 13. Looking forward to having a few friends over for my upcoming 14th birthday next week.

Wow, so you joined the AP site when you 6 basically - ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

There does seem to be, shall we say, a wealth of knowledge on this site. Which is cool. Different scene to the zomfg rofl @ what my bff did l8 yesterdayz vibe you get elsewhere on the interweb.

What are you talkin bout Lewis - :-) - Oh - ME generation speak LOL (no offence intended to anyone )

Mary Anne
25-10-2017, 4:33pm

Gee if you are so bored that you have to copy and paste those questions on all those Sites you have been on.

:tog:GO OUT AND TAKE SOME PHOTO'S :flowersnap::flash:

ricktas
25-10-2017, 6:07pm

I think the voting is serious. Everyone seems to have voted accurately reflecting their age.. having a bit of fun in the thread just keeps us oldies interested.cause we forget. .. oh look its dinner time..

dolina
25-10-2017, 6:12pm
I think the voting is serious. Everyone seems to have voted accurately reflecting their age.. having a bit of fun in the thread just keeps us oldies interested.cause we forget. .. oh look its dinner time..

Thanks Rick! Keep upbeat, positive and smile. :)

ricktas
25-10-2017, 6:21pm
Gee if you are so bored that you have to copy and paste those questions on all those Sites you have been on.

:tog:GO OUT AND TAKE SOME PHOTO'S :flowersnap::flash:

Happened with this thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?154835-) too. a quick google shows it appearing all over the net.

Poppyrob
25-10-2017, 6:26pm
I MUST be young. My wife keeps telling me to grow up.

Geoff79
25-10-2017, 7:09pm
Oh cool, there’s a poll. I’ll access on my pc tonight and contribute. I used to be young a few years ago, but sadly that’s no longer the case. :(

ameerat42
25-10-2017, 7:16pm
Oh cool, there’s a poll. I’ll access on my pc tonight and contribute. I used to be young a few years ago, but sadly that’s no longer the case. :(

Hang on! Why all these laments? - If you were young once, and time progresses, then you must be getting young-er!:confused013
Be prepared for a surprise tomorrow - of some sort:rolleyes:

Mark L
25-10-2017, 7:50pm
Happened with this thread (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?154835-) too. a quick google shows it appearing all over the net.

Dolina does that and at least he took the time to adjust the thread titles for the various places and takes the time to comment in those various places. Why should we worry about anything other than what appears on AP anyway?

I only posted the above because I'm having trouble trying to figure out what Mike and Kev are talking about. The the young upstart Geoff adds to my confusion.

mikew09
25-10-2017, 8:13pm
Dolina does that and at least he took the time to adjust the thread titles for the various places and takes the time to comment in those various places. Why should we worry about anything other than what appears on AP anyway?

I only posted the above because I'm having trouble trying to figure out what Mike and Kev are talking about. The the young upstart Geoff adds to my confusion.

My grandfather who was born just before the turn of the century ( 1900 that is ) used to have an old car with canvas roof and need to set the timing and crank at the front to start it. I can remember as a toddler I couldn't climb up on the side rail steps as they were too far off the ground. He sold it as an vintage vehicle yrs later. When the first sputnik was launched by Russia and the space race began, my grandfather would say "Man will never land on the moon, its poppy cock, how could you possible travel to the moon and back" I can remember my grandfather saying to dad "Youngins have no respect these days" and my father saying to me "Young folk have no respect these days" and me saying to my kids "The youngsters these days have no respect" and my kids saying to the grandkids " There is not respect these days" LOL
Not everything has changed so much :-)

dolina
25-10-2017, 8:37pm
Exactly! Each forum is unique and as such each has a different point of view on things.

I was listening to a youtube video about the camera industry's sales performance for 2016 (https://youtu.be/mXB4DSgBLbg).

Smartphone, point & shoot, mirrorless and DSLR users age was brought up.

I am trying to verify if what he said rang true.

Reproducibility and replicability together are among the main principles of the scientific method.

So if I get the same results 100x then what was said on the video is correct.

Poll results over here and over there supported both of their opinion.

mikew09
25-10-2017, 9:05pm
Number of the more mature are growing, Oh, can someone grab my walking frame please? I want to go and take some photos - hmm where did I put my camera gear

Tannin
25-10-2017, 9:08pm

Facebook isn't a forum. Facebook is a ................. [remarks unsuitable for a family-friendly site.]

And it tracks you beyond the point of "intrusive" and right out there into sleazy and beyond.

dolina
25-10-2017, 9:29pm
Facebook isn't a forum. Facebook is a ................. [remarks unsuitable for a family-friendly site.]

And it tracks you beyond the point of "intrusive" and right out there into sleazy and beyond.

Other than that it draws users away from Internet forums to their Facebook Groups.

As it was pointed out earlier I am an active member on other Internet forums and in some I have noticed a sudden plunge in user activity while others have entirely moved to Facebook Groups and shut down their servers entirely.

Mary Anne
25-10-2017, 11:10pm

Ah Yes Rick I read that one, and all the ones dolina put on the other Forums too.

Gee I have not voted yet and I am a tad on the short side, reckon I will have to get a ladder to reach up closer to the top of that poll

dolina
26-10-2017, 3:35am
Ah Yes Rick I read that one, and all the ones dolina put on the other Forums too.

Gee I have not voted yet and I am a tad on the short side, reckon I will have to get a ladder to reach up closer to the top of that poll

I might as well disclose this as well that my previous photos of birds, wildlife and sports are also shared elsewhere. :)

merlin1
26-10-2017, 10:12am
Last Sunday I turned 73, my mother died 3 months ago, 5 weeks off 96. So I must be young.

Ross.

mikew09
26-10-2017, 10:15am
Last Sunday I turned 73, my mother died 3 months ago, 5 weeks off 96. So I must be young.

Ross.

Hi Ross, Very sorry for your loss mate. Happy Birthday for last Sunday. May the old guys rule LOL

ameerat42
26-10-2017, 10:54am
... May the old guys rule LOL

Rule? Isn't it "whiskey* and rye"?:cool:

*(I know, US spelling for US-type spirit:cool:)

jim
26-10-2017, 8:34pm
I don't think I've ever been so surprised by a poll result in my life. Hard to believe that an online forum would have half as many members willing to declare they were born 1901-1924 (ie aged 93-116) as were born in the last 37 years.

Hawthy
26-10-2017, 8:43pm
Given the disclosures on members' age, I will post this joke that I heard the other day:

Two elderly married couples were having dinner together. The wives had left the husbands to have a whisky while they washed up.

"We had dinner last night at a lovely restaurant", one gentleman remarked.

"Really? What was the name of the restaurant?"

After thinking for some considerable time he asked. "Umm...what do you call that flower? You know...red bloom, long stalk, thorns...?"

"Rose?"

"That's it!"

He turned to the kitchen and called out, "Rose! What was the name of that restaurant that we visited last night?"

Mark L
26-10-2017, 9:02pm
1999-2017 = no votes.
So they can't be bothered with voting on this ageism stuff or there are new platforms they play on and forums will eventually become obsolete. :confused013

Hawthy
26-10-2017, 9:11pm
1999-2017 = no votes.
So they can't be bothered with voting on this ageism stuff or there are new platforms they play on and forums will eventually become obsolete. :confused013

I can't imagine that we have a lot of people under 18 years old here. Welcome to anyone who is though.:th3:

merlin1
26-10-2017, 9:13pm
Mikew09. Thanks.

Ross.

Hawthy
26-10-2017, 9:44pm
Oops. Missed the post regarding your loss. Apologies for the flippant posts in what must be a difficult time.

Mary Anne
26-10-2017, 10:45pm

Ross.

Happy Birthday for last Sunday Ross hope it was a good day.

Sorry to read about your Mother that sad..

ricktas
27-10-2017, 6:09am
1999-2017 = no votes.

Yes.. and when the time comes, AP will simply close down.

NikonNellie
27-10-2017, 8:17am
Looking at the joining dates of some members, its interesting to note that we have grown old together. Quite a few of us have been members for seven years or more. It seems like we were "spring chickens" when we joined the forum. :nod:

Steve Axford
27-10-2017, 8:43am
I might as well disclose this as well that my previous photos of birds, wildlife and sports are also shared elsewhere. :)

I'd be very curious to know what the response overall is. I present to photo clubs on occasions and the audience is usually old, though it does vary a bit with different clubs. I also present to people interested in fungi and general science and they are always much younger. I find that much more rewarding.

Geoff79
27-10-2017, 11:34am
I almost made the cut for an earlier age bracket, but being born in 1979 I missed out by one year and got lumped in with all the other oldies... uh, um, I mean my elderly- no, mature peers. [emoji18]

Claire M
27-10-2017, 4:01pm
Hey Geoff, you weren't born on a leap year were you? :D

Cage
27-10-2017, 4:23pm
Give it your best shot. This 50 something year old will sit back with a cider and watch you keep em in check

My longevity has now been surpassed by someone older and probably wiser, so I can now revert back to being an ageing larrikin.

Geoff79
27-10-2017, 4:47pm
Hey Geoff, you weren't born on a leap year were you? :D

If it’ll make me a tad younger, then yes. Yes, I was. [emoji16]

dolina
27-10-2017, 5:48pm
I'd be very curious to know what the response overall is. I present to photo clubs on occasions and the audience is usually old, though it does vary a bit with different clubs. I also present to people interested in fungi and general science and they are always much younger. I find that much more rewarding.

Each community has different norms and standards. That's why I tend to read the rules and regs of each one to avoid misunderstandings.

I was rather surprised people took issue to my recent posts. I never had problems before.

Steve Axford
27-10-2017, 8:16pm
Each community has different norms and standards. That's why I tend to read the rules and regs of each one to avoid misunderstandings.

I was rather surprised people took issue to my recent posts. I never had problems before.

Grumpy old men. :)

I also found that Youtube thing you posted quite interesting. Camera sales down to 1/6 of their 2010 level! That's a lot.

merlin1
27-10-2017, 8:22pm
Thanks every one for your wish's.
Ross.

ivans75
27-10-2017, 10:37pm
42 years young and counting !!

dolina
28-10-2017, 12:43am
Grumpy old men. :)

I also found that Youtube thing you posted quite interesting. Camera sales down to 1/6 of their 2010 level! That's a lot.
Don't be sexist! Include the women too! ;)

I am not wishing ill to the camera industry as I would want to continue buying Canon dSLRs until the year 2100.

phild
28-10-2017, 9:32am
I still feel about 18 but when I look in the mirror there's an old bloke where I used to be.....:Doh:

Perhaps it's the proliferation of smartphones and the advent of social media that have trivialised the art of photography.

bricat
30-10-2017, 7:09pm
I remember going to fishing club meetings in particular that was full of old fuddy duddy men. I stopped going to decrease that number

Claire M
01-11-2017, 7:22pm
That's what I like about this Photography Forum, no matter how old you are, you're never to old to spread around the humour! :D

Cage
02-11-2017, 7:54pm
That's what I like about this Photography Forum, no matter how old you are, you're never to old to spread around the humour! :D

I don't know how old you are Claire, but I can assure you there is nothing at all :lol: in a crook back and two dicky knees. :lol2:

You're right of course, there is a strong undercurrent of geriatric, and nudging geriatrica, humour here. :nod:

mikew09
06-11-2017, 9:31am
Wow - Go the old farts :lol:

This page is making me feel old. I look at the dates on the follow uppers to us old farts and thing - born before 1979, Crikey, I was in the Army then - Infantry. By chance I was going through some old paperwork the other week and came across my old military documents.
I was 58 Kg when I joined (I am a short fella - 5' 4" in the old world), I was 64Kg when I left (Due to extra muscle mass ) and was fighting fit.
Do I still fit into my uniform - um NO. Still 5'4" but now 96Kg - Oops. :-)

Go the old farts :lol2:

Brendo09
06-11-2017, 7:10pm
I'm only a spring chicken. 39.

I remember my fathers 40th birthday, my siblings and I thought that his life was as good as over.

Funny when the shoes on the other foot :)

ameerat42
06-11-2017, 7:12pm
A lot of old lines in this thread. --Some I haven't heard for ages:lol2:

mudman
14-11-2017, 11:34am
i am only as old as the woman i'm with
or
it's not the woman in my life, it's the life in my woman

DacrimL
15-11-2017, 7:49pm
Body says 50+ years but the heart says 25-,
asked the doc bout this and he said it might have something to do with not using my heart for the first 25 years until they implanted a pacemaker :nod:

dolina
01-09-2022, 8:50pm
Thank you everyone for responding

Burt
16-03-2023, 7:05am
Thank you everyone for responding

The two most important day of your life are:

The day you were born and the day you find out why

Everything else, is just useless numbers...

I'm actually glad to meet new people every day.. :)