PDA

View Full Version : This might be the year I've been waiting for ......

bobt
20-10-2017, 1:42pm
Over 30 years ago I joined the Dying with Dignity group, hoping that society would bypass religious and conservative objections and allow each of us to choose how we die. In the intervening years basically bugger all happened, except a brief moment of sanity in the Northern Territory which was squashed by the Federal Government.

Today, the Victorian Parliament has voted to allow the terminally ill to end their own suffering. Hopefully the Upper House will not object.

Soon we should allow gays to marry, which is another monumental step forward in Australia.

I realise that others will disagree on one or both of these, but for me personally, I think 2017 is shaping up to be a huge step forward in compassion and a massive win for common sense and decency.

ameerat42
20-10-2017, 1:56pm
:action003:Suum cuique.

--And 2018 will be hailed for its end of ethnic cleansing, truck bombs, people trafficking...
and the general advent of world peace. - Chickenfeed, when you think about it.

bobt
20-10-2017, 2:20pm
:action003:Suum cuique.

--And 2018 will be hailed for its end of ethnic cleansing, truck bombs, people trafficking...
and the general advent of world peace. - Chickenfeed, when you think about it.

We really are a crap species aren't we ....... the way we treat each other! :confused013

ameerat42
20-10-2017, 2:22pm
In this game of Craps, I'll see your "each other", and raise you an "everything":rolleyes:

Cage
20-10-2017, 2:59pm
Mankind, an oxymoron if ever there was one, should put aside it's tools and toys, climb back up the trees from where we once descended, and contemplate what a bloody mess we've made of just about everything we've touched.

Oh wait, we can't do that because we've chopped most of the trees down. :Doh:

Mark L
20-10-2017, 9:25pm
I found your original post optimistic Bob.:th3:
And then posts that digress from you optimism on topics that have nothing to do with the reasons for you optimism.:(

. Hopefully the Upper House will not object.
Soon we should allow gays to marry, which is another monumental step forward in Australia.

I wouldn't assume these two things to be a given until they actually happen.
Certainly progress is slowly happening though.:th3:

bobt
20-10-2017, 10:22pm
I wouldn't assume these two things to be a given until they actually happen.
Certainly progress is slowly happening though.:th3:

Nope, certainly no assumptions - but it's the most positive set of circumstances in my lifetime. When I joined the Dying with Dignity movement 30 + years ago I figured it should all be sorted by the time I got to the pointy end of life. Never thought it would take this long.

I the upper house rejects it, it won't come back again for a very long time. NSW is waiting to see what happens in Victoria, and so now they'll be encouraged to do the same!

richtbw
23-10-2017, 11:49pm
Mankind, an oxymoron if ever there was one, should put aside it's tools and toys, climb back up the trees from where we once descended, and contemplate what a bloody mess we've made of just about everything we've touched.

Oh wait, we can't do that because we've chopped most of the trees down. :Doh:

We can always use photographs of the tree/s with figures climbing into them. :flowersnap:

Mark L
24-10-2017, 10:20pm
We can always use photographs of the tree/s with figures climbing into them. :flowersnap:

Please offer something to do with the original post from Bob to keep your access to AP.:(

mikew09
25-10-2017, 12:47pm
Over 30 years ago I joined the Dying with Dignity group, hoping that society would bypass religious and conservative objections and allow each of us to choose how we die. In the intervening years basically bugger all happened, except a brief moment of sanity in the Northern Territory which was squashed by the Federal Government.

Today, the Victorian Parliament has voted to allow the terminally ill to end their own suffering. Hopefully the Upper House will not object.

I realise that others will disagree on one or both of these, but for me personally, I think 2017 is shaping up to be a huge step forward in compassion and a massive win for common sense and decency.

I am with you - agree