PDA

View Full Version : Memory

Tannin
12-10-2017, 11:11pm
Do you know what bugs me?

It bugs me that, three or four hours after I put it down, I can remember without the slightest trouble that I'm up to page 167 of my book, about a third of the way down.

Well, that doesn't actually bug me so much. What really bugs me is that I can't remember for the life of me where I put it down. :(

richtbw
12-10-2017, 11:28pm
It is the doorpost causing this I have discovered. I know exactly what I need to do/have done, but as I walk out of the room/house, I often "forget". I have passed under/through the doorpost.

ricktas
13-10-2017, 6:36am
It is the doorpost causing this I have discovered. I know exactly what I need to do/have done, but as I walk out of the room/house, I often "forget". I have passed under/through the doorpost.

There is actually some truth in that. Scientists have known for a while now that once we pass through a doorway or archway etc that our brains compartmentalise stuff from the room we were in. Often if you walk back to where you were, and stand for a moment, the thing you want, comes back into your mind. Scientists are not sure of the reason why our brains work like this, just that they do.

ricktas
13-10-2017, 6:37am

It bugs me that, three or four hours after I put it down, I can remember without the slightest trouble that I'm up to page 167 of my book, about a third of the way down.

Well, that doesn't actually bug me so much. What really bugs me is that I can't remember for the life of me where I put it down. :(

What is this three or four hours you speak of? Sometimes it only takes me three or four minutes.

ameerat42
13-10-2017, 8:01am

What you describe is a classic example of the Burliman Butterbur Syndrome, which to paraphrase the author is:
"One thought drives out the other, so to say..." [and a few mumbles as trundles off].
It is apparently related to prancing ponies:p:p:p

mikew09
13-10-2017, 1:29pm
:lol: Wait till you get to my age. I have my name tattooed on the inside of my arm as a reminder

arthurking83
13-10-2017, 9:55pm
:lol: Wait till you get to my age. I have my name tattooed on the inside of my arm as a reminder

All well and good, but do you remember to have a quick look at it whenever you meet someone for the first time! .... again! :p

richtbw
13-10-2017, 10:32pm
All well and good, but do you remember to have a quick look at it whenever you meet someone for the first time! .... again! :p

I'll never forget!......................what is his name again?

ricktas
14-10-2017, 7:57am

and looks at his left arm, instead of his right.. and has no idea!:D

arthurking83
14-10-2017, 10:04am
The thing I hate about failing memory is ... putting the milk in the cupboard after making myself a cuppa!

It may not actually be a simple case of failing memory tho, as the cupboard is right above the tea making area .. which includes the sink, the cupboard itself (that houses the tea), and the kettle (on the bench) immediately below it.
So I'm thinking it may be a combination of lethargy, inattentiveness, apathy AND Alzheimers.

Either way, whatever the cause .. what's annoying is making the next cuppa, and going to the fridge, only to realise that I have no milk .. so I rush to the shop to get more, get back to a make the cuppa .. only to find 7 bottles of milk still in the cupboard when I go to get the tea out!

:p

John King
15-10-2017, 9:30am
This is extremely common with ADD/ADHD. It's called the "What did I come here for?" syndrome.

Short term memory dysfunction is common. The 3-10 seconds that it takes to sieve and process memories into long term storage is the common problem area.

ADD/ADHD is far more common than many think. Of the order of 20-25% of people have it, but not all have their lives significantly impacted by it.

ameerat42
15-10-2017, 9:33am
Perhaps we'll forget about this thread*:scrtch:

* What thread? :umm:

Mary Anne
15-10-2017, 10:30am
You would not want to live in our house I have to remember for both of us..
Hubby does not seem to have any short term memory, and it's bad.

Though when I ask him who is singing that song on the radio from the 50's or 60's he always has the correct answer
Not only that he tells me who sang the original song and everything else about it :confused013

arthurking83
15-10-2017, 11:11am
Though when I ask him who is singing that song on the radio from the 50's or 60's he always has the correct answer

I remember my mum was like that.
She'd forget stuff the moment she mentioned it, and repeat herself multiple times on the same topic. Yet she'd remember incredible detail on things that happened nearly 70 years ago.

ricktas
18-10-2017, 6:40am
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-walking-through-doorway-makes-you-forget/