PDA

View Full Version : Would using the canon 1.4x extender effectively allow my 17mmTS-E behave like the 24mmTS-E?

coolhand78
09-10-2017, 5:16pm
would it effectively turn my 17mm Tilt Shift into the 24mm - i know one is f/3.5 and the other f/4 but for all intents and purposes would this work?

Cheers

nardes
09-10-2017, 6:15pm
Just going from memory here, but I understand that the Canon EF x1.4 and EF x2 Extenders only work with the family “L” lenses? Not too sure if it’s a select few “L” lenses or the whole range?:confused013

Cheers

Dennis

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am talking about the Optical Extenders that have glass elements, not the Extension Tubes that are basically empty tubes, which can be used with the TS-E lenses.

Plays With Light
09-10-2017, 6:38pm
I believe it won't. On Canon's website a while back now, I read something about them only working on lenses with a minimum focal length of 135mm, or so. I know I also can't use extension tubes on my 24mm tilt-shift, I've tried, and nothing comes into focus at any distance from the lens.

nardes
09-10-2017, 7:30pm
Here is a screen capture from a Canon EF Lens Book I downloaded a few years ago, so I'm not sure if it is still valid?

Cheers

Dennis

mikew09
09-10-2017, 8:35pm
Don't know :lol: Sorry, but I honestly wouldn't have a clue.

Plays With Light
09-10-2017, 10:05pm
Here is a screen capture from a Canon EF Lens Book I downloaded a few years ago, so I'm not sure if it is still valid?

Cheers

Dennis
That is really bizarre, Dennis, because I can't get my Samyang tilt-shift to focus on anything with any of my extension tubes! I wonder what's different that allows the Canon's to work? :confused013

tandeejay
09-10-2017, 10:31pm
Doesn't that depend on where the extension tube shifts the maximum focus distance? the shorter the focal length, the closer to the sensor it makes the max focus distance, and you get to a point where the maximum focus distance is closer than the front element at which point you can't get close enough to focus? :confused013 Speaking from my limited understanding of how extension tubes work...

Plays With Light
09-10-2017, 11:40pm
Doesn't that depend on where the extension tube shifts the maximum focus distance? the shorter the focal length, the closer to the sensor it makes the max focus distance, and you get to a point where the maximum focus distance is closer than the front element at which point you can't get close enough to focus? :confused013 Speaking from my limited understanding of how extension tubes work...
That makes sense, John. Thanks for the clarification and explanation.

According to Keith from Northlight Images:

I'm sorta disappointed that I can't get them to work with my Samyang 24mm tilt-shift. :(

tandeejay
09-10-2017, 11:49pm
Looking at that chart, the long distance compresses a lot faster than the short distance... so maybe the issue is not that it gets closer than the front of the lens, but that when the long distance meets/crosses the short distance, the physics no longer works? :confused013

Steve Axford
10-10-2017, 8:22am
I presume you want the answer to your question, which refers to the 1.4x extender and not the extension tubes. It is - yes, you can. With some loss of quality. Try a search on canon 17mm ts-e with 1.4xextender and you will get some more info