PDA

View Full Version : Should I 'downgrade' back to Beginner/Intermediate?

bitsnpieces
07-10-2017, 12:52am
So, Mr. Goto Teng from Nikon says that pros don't really use Sony cameras.
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/nikon-says-nearly-no-professional-people-uses-sony-olympus-fuji/

As a Sony user, does that mean I'm not professional?
Would that mean I wouldn't be advanced?

So perhaps I can go down back to Beginner or Intermediate? :P

Hehe - I wish :)

ricktas
07-10-2017, 6:58am
Unfortunately for you.. our experience levels are not based on whether you are a pro or not. Our experience levels are your 'photographic experience'.. how good you are at taking photos..basically. But if you are concerned, we could create a fourth experience level 'those other brand users'. As for Mr Teng (real name Tetsuro Goto), me wonders if something was lost in translation (hint, dont use google translate to work out what a conversation actually says word for word), or if he just happens to be a troll who retired from Nikon about 4-5 years ago. :D

jim
07-10-2017, 7:23am
Having carefully examined some of your posted photos I think you should be allowed to remain at the advanced level for now, though the mods should carefully monitor you, and be ready to slap you with a downgrade should you start to show any signs of intermediacy.

You seem to be getting good results out of your ghastly unprofessional equipment ;), though perhaps you could post more photos.

mikew09
07-10-2017, 10:45am
To be honest, some people are living under a rock. The first thing that a comment from Mr. Goto needs to justify, is who is really the Pro market here, this has often been up debate. Why is this important, well because different professional genres have different gear requirement. Does Professional LS photogs use Sony, possible not as as a world leading LS photog is probably producing a lot of work with a Wide Format camera and higher pixel FF with suitable lens. Having said that, and this is where I don't get the angle of that comment made and I think it lacks substance. Many renowned portrait photogs have moved to Sony, Jason Lanier just to name one straight off the top of my head.

Maybe a market pitch for attention and new photogs coming into the market and seems to have worked, it got our attention LOL :lol:

Mark L
09-10-2017, 10:03pm
So you want to start making money and thus become professional?

You seem to be getting good results out of your ghastly unprofessional equipment ;), though perhaps you could post more photos.

I agree with this.
And I really don't understand where you are coming from here David. Yes, lets keep my access to AP maybe.:th3:
So a quote from your link,
"Nikon really made some bold claims in this interview and in my opinione undermined the value of mirrorless players like Sony and Fuji. Probably this is a strategy to keep potential buyers from buying Sony and Fuji?
Bugga, someone defended your Sony in a the very post you quoted.:confused013

bitsnpieces
09-10-2017, 11:50pm
Bah, I still have many things to learn, and being that I have no camera at this point in time, nor money to get one, I'm getting really rusty at taking photos.
I still take photos on the phone though, do my best I guess lol

A fourth level for those 'other guys' would be cool too :P

swifty
10-10-2017, 11:51am
Who is Goto Teng?
Site admin can’t even get the guy’s name right, do you think his paraphrased version of the interview is accurate?

Tannin
11-10-2017, 8:12am
Most pros, regardless of whether they prefer Canon, Nikon, or some other brand, actually do have a camera. That's right, you heard it here first.