PDA

View Full Version : Domestic travel: carry on only?

Bensch
06-10-2017, 5:34pm
Hi everyone,

After my last holiday I've decided that I want to seriously reduce the amount of gear that I take with me when I travel.

I'm looking at travelling to Melbourne and Sydney next year, and would really like to do it with only carry on.

I realise that it would mean reducing or leaving home a great deal, as carry on limit is only 7kg, but felt I needed to do something different after my last trip, where I could barely lift my case.

Do any of the members here travel domestic as carry on only?

I do have a Samsonite 50cm softside suitcase which is 50Hx32Wx22D, which fits within the specified dimensions for carry on.

Thanks everyone :th3:

ameerat42
06-10-2017, 5:38pm
Last year 4 of us went to Cairns by air, carry-on only. As my camera bag was
just the right size, I snaffled a few items of clothing into that and squirrelled
some more with the other 3. :D

Gazza
06-10-2017, 6:00pm
Geez mate, I normally travel to NZ for a week at a time complete with camera gear and restricted to the same 7kg limit...it can be done :D

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and they don't weigh you. So if you just happen to have a heavy jacket slung over your shoulder and the camera around your neck, wearing two pairs of socks & jocks...you get the picture....

Bensch
06-10-2017, 11:46pm
Last year 4 of us went to Cairns by air, carry-on only. As my camera bag was
just the right size, I snaffled a few items of clothing into that and squirrelled
some more with the other 3. :D

Thanks Am :th3:

Geez mate, I normally travel to NZ for a week at a time complete with camera gear and restricted to the same 7kg limit...it can be done :D

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and they don't weigh you. So if you just happen to have a heavy jacket slung over your shoulder and the camera around your neck, wearing two pairs of socks & jocks...you get the picture....

Thanks Gazza :th3:

Just doing some basic calculations/weighing, and the bag with clothes, etc is 6.2kg without DSLR/lenses, and 7.74kg with DSLR, 18-55, 70-300 and charger.

Might have to carry the DSLR around my neck, or perhaps even, take the P&S :eek:

mikew09
07-10-2017, 9:36pm
I have never been asked once to weigh my carry on. I have been asked to put it through this size thing to ensure its within dimensions. A mate of mine who was in the know just said never let your bag look heavy, just carry it as if it doesnt appear to be difficult to carry and never let the hostess place it in the baggage compartment ;-). Never been questioned yet and I am pretty sure my bag would be a tad of 7 kgs.

Bensch
08-10-2017, 10:16pm
I have never been asked once to weigh my carry on. I have been asked to put it through this size thing to ensure its within dimensions. A mate of mine who was in the know just said never let your bag look heavy, just carry it as if it doesnt appear to be difficult to carry and never let the hostess place it in the baggage compartment ;-). Never been questioned yet and I am pretty sure my bag would be a tad of 7 kgs.

Thanks Mike :th3: