PDA

View Full Version : New to Dslr

Alanranderson
30-09-2017, 9:13am
Hello everyone, my name is alan, am starting out with a Nikon D80 as a beginner.
i need to buy lens for this and I would like to know I’d Nikon lens 18-55mm and 55-200mm are really that bad for me to start with. Also looking at Nikon 35mm f1.8.Any advice would be appreciated.

ameerat42
30-09-2017, 9:20am
Hi Alan.
Welcome to AP. Check out the Library for everything to do with getting about on here, and
for "New to Photography"-ites.

For the specific question about lenses, post your query for a good discussion over in the
Nikon forum here: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/forumdisplay.php?17-Nikon

Alanranderson
30-09-2017, 9:26am
Ok, thanks for the info!

ricktas
30-09-2017, 9:44am
Welcome to AP. Looking forward to seeing you and some of your photos on the forums soon.

Alanranderson
30-09-2017, 9:47am
Thanks Ricktas,will get going when I buy a lens for my d80.

Bercy
30-09-2017, 10:26am
Welcome. I am not a Nikon user but the D80 looks to have the goods for getting going Your lens choices pretty much cover the range for people/scenic photography. As said the forum has plenty of categories gain knowledge. I find getting constructive critique hugely helpful.

arthurking83
30-09-2017, 10:34am
i need to buy lens for this and I would like to know I’d Nikon lens 18-55mm and 55-200mm are really that bad for me to start with. Also looking at Nikon 35mm f1.8.Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi Alan,
Welcome.

Lenses: forget the 18-55 and 55-200. While they can produce a good image, they are old hat now.
** although in saying that, the 55-200 is quite good for what it is and does, so if you can get one really cheap, second hand, it may be worth a shot .. but the importance here is CHEAP!. Don't pay full retail.

A good alternative at about the $300 price mark is the 18-140VR lens. Just got one for the kids and been playing with it, and everything I'm seeing = quite good quality. Usable focal length range, and at about $300 is good value(new) for it's ability.
It resolves very well on a 24Mp sensor, so the 10Mp of the D80 won't cause it any grief.

Another handy little 35mm lens I recently got is the Yongnuo 35mm f/2.
it came in pretty cheap at just a touch over $100(off ebay) and to be honest I wasn't expecting much from it. But it produces a lot better than that. Highly recommended given the very low price(half that of the Dx only 35/1.8 from Nikon).
I have a small (almost) review like thread somewhere in the gear section. Gear talk-reviews-lenses(ie. not Nikon .. as it's not a Nikon product! ;))

Other lenses I would recommend (given that the D80 auto focuses with AF-D type lenses) are some of these older AF-D type lenses.

I'd recommend that you start a new thread in the gear section outlining the types of uses you're after .. and importantly a budget.

If you don't currently have any lenses at all, I'd say at least go for that Yongnuo 35/2 lens to get yourself started.

Mary Anne
30-09-2017, 6:11pm
Hello Alan and Welcome to AP.

Cage
30-09-2017, 7:18pm
The Nikon DX 35mm f1.8 is a very well regarded lens and I think it would be a good starting point to learn your camera.

It will give you much better results than a zoom and will provide a good platform to build around.

Alanranderson
30-09-2017, 8:46pm
Thanks for your welcome advice Arthur,I will certainly follow up on these lenses next week.regards Alan

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks cage, I feeling quite drawn to a 35mm lens, and will investigate prices etc next week. Regards Alan

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your welcome, Mary Anne.:flash:

- - - Updated - - -

Berni, thanks for your advice, I intend to spend some time getting used to everything this site has to offer.regards alan

- - - Updated - - -

Berni, thanks for your advice, I intend to spend some time getting used to everything this site has to offer.regards alan

bitsnpieces
02-10-2017, 1:16pm
Hi Alan and welcome to AP :)

Chris788
02-10-2017, 2:14pm
Welcome aboard!