PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's going to the NRL Grand Final with full photographers accreditation ?

Cage
27-09-2017, 6:33pm
Yep, moi ! :beer_mug::efelant::animal3::grinning01::party7::grinning01::animal3::efelant::beer_mug:

I entered a My Nikon Life competition to describe your best Grand Final moment in less than fifty words, and was lucky enough to be one of six winners.

Thank you Nikon, you much maligned purveyor of photography gear. :th3:

I don't have the full details yet, but come kick-off I'll be on the sideline amongst the press photographers. YEE HAAAA !

Oh, and I'll be using a D850 and my choice of lens. Haven't decided on the lens yet, but I was thinking either the 200-400 f4 or a 70-200 f2.8 + a T/C, and leaning toward the latter.

All I have to take is a monopod and a memory card. I will have to ask about the copyright status of the images I take.

And as I type this I'm watching the news with coverage of the security arrangements for the event. And the security risk level is 'Probable'. :(

To state that I'm a bit excited about this is somewhat of an understatement. I don't remember the last time I won a competition, if ever.

And to bring me back to earth with a thud, I've just heard that one of my best friends has had a triple by-pass. He's in recovery and doing well. :nod:

Hopefully, copyright issues allowing, I'll post some shots early next week.

Nick Cliff
27-09-2017, 6:43pm
Congratulations your horses have come home at last Kev, not much sleep for you on grand final night and what a game with the Cowboys flying the flag for Queensland:)

Cage
27-09-2017, 7:05pm
Congratulations your horses have come home at last Kev, not much sleep for you on grand final night and what a game with the Cowboys flying the flag for Queensland:)

Cheers Nick.

And I'll be cheering on the Cows. You just have to admire their tenacity. :nod:

Just a shame it wasn't last year when my mod broke their forty nine year drought.

Plays With Light
27-09-2017, 7:35pm
Congrat's, Kev! What a prize! Enjoy it. :th3:

I'm surprised that all the winners weren't females to make up for Nikon's recent D850 ambassador faux pas! ;)

Cage
27-09-2017, 7:45pm
Congrat's, Kev! What a prize! Enjoy it. :th3:

I'm surprised that all the winners weren't females to make up for Nikon's recent D850 ambassador faux pas! ;)

Aw', c'mon Alex, lets leave the foxes paws out of this. :lol: I'm as excited as a kid on :christmasparty: eve'.

Plays With Light
27-09-2017, 7:48pm
Aw', c'mon Alex, lets leave the foxes paws out of this. :lol: I'm as excited as a kid on :christmasparty: eve'.
As you should be, Kev!

nardes
27-09-2017, 7:50pm
Wow Kev, that is fantastic news! Don't forget to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the whole event, as well as grab a few shots!:);)

Cheers

Dennis

Cage
27-09-2017, 7:55pm
As you should be, Kev!

And to date, I've resisted the urge to post in 'that' thread, but I must admit that my resolve is weakening. :nod:

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Kev, that is fantastic news! Don't forget to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy the whole event, as well as grab a few shots!:);)

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis.

I just hope I'm not restricted by copyright constraints.

And if I bang off three or four hundred shots and come away with one exceptional shot, I'll be ecstatic. :nod:

J.davis
27-09-2017, 9:32pm
Congrats Kev. Better start learning the finer points of D850 operation.

Mark L
27-09-2017, 9:52pm

Thinking you may need a lens with more reach.
Don't get carried away to early. Take your time, watch and enjoy the game. Then take some photos.:)
Lucky you. I'm so jealous:th3:.

Mary Anne
27-09-2017, 9:58pm
:wd: Kev

Cage
27-09-2017, 10:08pm
Congrats Kev. Better start learning the finer points of D850 operation.

Cheers John.

I had a D800 and the layout is pretty similar. I should be able to work my way through it. The big plus is that I'll get about 20MP in DX mode.

Geoff79
27-09-2017, 10:18pm
Wow Kev, big congrats. That's really cool news. Shame the !@##$$ %%%&^### ^^&*(@@@ ##@$@$@ ##@@@^^& Eels didn't make it. I'd have been willing to offer you one or two dollars for your great photos of the match. ;)

Seriously, though, if Melbourne don't win this, I'll eat a pug on Monday morning. I am all in full support for the Cowboys too, but honestly, just can't see it in a million years. I think Melbourne win, and I think they win well. Maybe if that becomes obvious early on you can concentrate on taking world class shots if your interest in the match wanes.

Out of interest, is it just the big match, or do you get to photograph Eels vs Manly in the Holden Cup final at 11am?

Cage
27-09-2017, 10:28pm
Thinking you may need a lens with more reach.
Don't get carried away to early. Take your time, watch and enjoy the game. Then take some photos.:)
Lucky you. I'm so jealous:th3:.

Mark, I still can't believe it's happening.

With the 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.7 T/C I'll have 119/340mm in full frame mode, or 180/510mm in crop mode @ 20MP. I'll leave the long shots to the pros.

I'm trying to get my head around what the atmosphere is going to be like, about 6m from the sideline, with around eighty thousand screaming spectators. The mind boggles.:nod: I'm sure I won't sleep the night before.

- - - Updated - - -

:wd: Kev

Thank Mary Anne.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow Kev, big congrats. That's really cool news. Shame the !@##$$ %%%&^### ^^&*(@@@ ##@$@$@ ##@@@^^& Eels didn't make it. I'd have been willing to offer you one or two dollars for your great photos of the match. ;)

Seriously, though, if Melbourne don't win this, I'll eat a pug on Monday morning. I am all in full support for the Cowboys too, but honestly, just can't see it in a million years. I think Melbourne win, and I think they win well. Maybe if that becomes obvious early on you can concentrate on taking world class shots if your interest in the match wanes.

Out of interest, is it just the big match, or do you get to photograph Eels vs Manly in the Holden Cup final at 11am?

Seriously, though, if Melbourne don't win this, I'll eat a pug on Monday morning

Would you like fries with that Sir? :lol:

We don't go into the ground till about 4pm so I guess no Holden Cup. And Geoff, bugger your Slipperies, I wish my Sharkies were there. :nod:

Geoff79
27-09-2017, 10:38pm
Mark, I still can't believe it's happening.

With the 70-200 f2.8 and a 1.7 T/C I'll have 119/340mm in full frame mode, or 180/510mm in crop mode @ 20MP. I'll leave the long shots to the pros.

I'm trying to get my head around what the atmosphere is going to be like, about 6m from the sideline, with around eighty thousand screaming spectators. The mind boggles.:nod: I'm sure I won't sleep the night before.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank Mary Anne.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you like fries with that Sir? :lol:

We don't go into the ground till about 4pm so I guess no Holden Cup. And Geoff, bugger your Slipperies, I wish my Sharkies were there. :nod:

No thanks, I eat my pugs straight.

Haha. Just be grateful you only need to think back to a year ago for premiership glory. I was 7 years old when the eels last won a premiership. :(

Sharks never really seemed likely this year but I was hoping Eels might just sneak into the big one this year. But alas, same old story. Every year is just a different shade of disappointment as an Eels fan. [emoji853]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

feathers
27-09-2017, 10:47pm
Congratulations Kev:th3: I suggest you fire off a few quickies at the start with your mobile just as backup.
That's going to be insane being sooo close to the action, as well as a full arena. Enjoy the moment:nod: Cheers.

bcys1961
27-09-2017, 10:51pm
Congratulations. I will look out for you on TV! I' m a Roosters fan . Even though the Cowboys knocked us out I will still go for them to continue the fairytale story .

Cage
27-09-2017, 11:49pm
Congratulations Kev:th3: I suggest you fire off a few quickies at the start with your mobile just as backup.
That's going to be insane being sooo close to the action, as well as a full arena. Enjoy the moment:nod: Cheers.

Cheers Richard.

Photography aside, I'm sure it's going to be a memorable experience.

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations. I will look out for you on TV! I' m a Roosters fan . Even though the Cowboys knocked us out I will still go for them to continue the fairytale story .

Thanks Brad.

I'll be one of those without a big white lens. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

I've been thinking about what sort of shots I'd like to come away with.

Obviously the killer shot of the match winning try, winger in the air, body out over the sideline, out-stretched arm and face in focus, the rest a blur, would be to die for.

But I would also look at the faces of the players, winning and losing, and the respective expressions. And shots of the crowd at special moments. I think big events are about more than the sporting moments.

I'm really looking forward to the opportunity to capture something special.

mikew09
28-09-2017, 12:07am
Wooo, bonus. What a win - cant wait to see the results and hear the story on your return - great stuff

ricktas
28-09-2017, 6:25am
Great news Kev. And if the NRL is happy for you to put the photos onto AP, we will be happy to see the blurry images (from the nerves of it all) :D

Cage
28-09-2017, 7:05am
Wooo, bonus. What a win - cant wait to see the results and hear the story on your return - great stuff

Cheers Mike.

I'm like a kid counting down the days till Xmas. Only three more sleeps. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Great news Kev. And if the NRL is happy for you to put the photos onto AP, we will be happy to see the blurry images (from the nerves of it all) :D

Thanks Rick.

Yeah, I reckon I'll give the VR a good workout. :nod:

Gazza
28-09-2017, 7:31am
I'm not a footy fan (go figure...), but just remember, have some fun 'ol fulla!

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-nqh8mMh/3/6e3d39e6/Th/i-nqh8mMh-Th.gif

Cage
28-09-2017, 9:38am
I'm not a footy fan (go figure...), but just remember, have some fun 'ol fulla!

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-nqh8mMh/3/6e3d39e6/Th/i-nqh8mMh-Th.gif

I certainly intend to seize the moment Gazza. :D

Chris788
28-09-2017, 10:02am
Congratulations! What an experience that'll be. I was in the crowd at last years grand final, and the atmosphere was phenomenal!

Steve Axford
28-09-2017, 10:56am
Have you decided where you want to sit?

Cage
28-09-2017, 1:13pm
Congratulations! What an experience that'll be. I was in the crowd at last years grand final, and the atmosphere was phenomenal!

What a sight that was Chris.

A sea of black, white and blue. And the end of my forty-nine year wait. :party7::party7::party7:

- - - Updated - - -

Have you decided where you want to sit?

I would imagine I won't have a choice Steve, and will be ushered to an allocated spot somewhere (?) inside the boundary fence.

arthurking83
28-09-2017, 4:57pm

And to bring me back to earth with a thud, I've just heard that one of my best friends has had a triple by-pass. He's in recovery and doing well. :nod:

Exciting doesn't half explain it well... but let us get excited for you, you take it easy peasy and don't end up with your mate! ;)

looking forward to seeing results.

OH! and if you had been smart, you'd have kept the D800, filled in the gaps between flash and body, had a small 5 sticker with you to replace the first 0 on your D800 .. and end up trading the D800 for a D850 ... cheaply! :p

As for lens .. can't help. No idea what NRL is. If NRL has the same sized field that a soccer field uses, I'd says that 200mm will be short for the far side, and only usable on action closer to whatever side you're at.

200-400 or if they allow it, 400/2.8 or 300/2.8 with a TC.

ps. Even tho this is your experience and not my own, my anti Nikon Aus sentiments will be much more tempered from now on.

Lance B
28-09-2017, 6:43pm
Congratulation, mate! I hope you make the most of it and have a great day. :th3:

Cage
28-09-2017, 6:55pm
Exciting doesn't half explain it well... but let us get excited for you, you take it easy peasy and don't end up with your mate! ;)

looking forward to seeing results.

OH! and if you had been smart, you'd have kept the D800, filled in the gaps between flash and body, had a small 5 sticker with you to replace the first 0 on your D800 .. and end up trading the D800 for a D850 ... cheaply! :p

As for lens .. can't help. No idea what NRL is. If NRL has the same sized field that a soccer field uses, I'd says that 200mm will be short for the far side, and only usable on action closer to whatever side you're at.

200-400 or if they allow it, 400/2.8 or 300/2.8 with a TC.

ps. Even tho this is your experience and not my own, my anti Nikon Aus sentiments will be much more tempered from now on.

Are you mellowing Arthur?

I've just found out that we will be behind the try line so I've opted for a D850 and a 70-200 f2.8 VR II with a 1.4 T/C, which should give me good coverage on that end of the field. I'm liking the idea of the D850's 20MP in DX crop mode.

We'll be attending the media briefing with the TV and press people, then a tute with one of the Nikon guys, and out on the field a 6.15pm to set-up. I believe we will be wearing yellow bibs.

I guess the best way to watch the game will be on one of the big screens but I'll tape it at home as well.

Cage
28-09-2017, 10:01pm
Congratulation, mate! I hope you make the most of it and have a great day. :th3:

Thanks Lance.

I'm really looking forward to doing the shoot with the D850.

Glenda
29-09-2017, 4:27pm
Congrats Kev, what a wonderful prize to win. I'm not a fan of football (of any code) but would still love to have the opportunity to shoot from such a position with the latest gear.

cupic
30-09-2017, 8:32am
Congrats on the Gig Kev

My setup would be D850 with either the Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 with TC or 400mm f/2.8 with TC's

Looking forward to somethind after Monday

cheers

Cage
30-09-2017, 8:59am
Congrats Kev, what a wonderful prize to win. I'm not a fan of football (of any code) but would still love to have the opportunity to shoot from such a position with the latest gear.

Cheers Glenda.

My grand-kids have already put in a request for some pics of Mackelmore, a rap artist (?) who is performing at half time, and who I'd never heard of 'till about four days ago.

Floribunda
30-09-2017, 9:08am
Well done Kev! What an experience!
Of course we in SA are at fever pitch with our beloved Crows making the AFL Grand Final! :D
Have a great time and I look forward to hearing how it all plays out!
Good Luck! :nod:

Cage
30-09-2017, 9:32am
Congrats on the Gig Kev

My setup would be D850 with either the Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 with TC or 400mm f/2.8 with TC's

Looking forward to somethind after Monday

cheers

Hi cupic,

I'll have to clarify whether I can actually post anything taken at the game. Hopefully that will be covered in the pre-match media briefing.

We will be about 15m behind the try line, and even a 300mm is too long for anything up to about 40m to fit in a 1900mm big bopper in landscape mode, so I think the 70-200mm with a 1.4 T/C is the go. I'll leave the long shots to the Pros who, incidentally, all seem to have two or three cameras with them.

And if I want to crop, the D850 is still going to give me about 20MP with a DX size crop.

Only one more sleep. :2sleep:

- - - Updated - - -

Well done Kev! What an experience!
Of course we in SA are at fever pitch with our beloved Crows making the AFL Grand Final! :D
Have a great time and I look forward to hearing how it all plays out!
Good Luck! :nod:

Thanks Lyn.

I'm sure it will be a memorable experience and I'm really looking forward to soaking up the atmosphere. It's a whole different ball game to watching it on TV, being so close to the action and surrounded by eighty thousand screaming fans.

Oh, and Go the Crows.