PDA

View Full Version : Why is macro small?

Ilovebokeh
19-09-2017, 8:28pm
Hi,

Pardon the silly question but why is macro photography microscopic close up?

I thought macro was 'the big picture view'

Eg macro -economics. Why isn't insect photography micro instead of macro?

Tannin
19-09-2017, 8:39pm
It's called "macro" because a macro lens makes the image on your sensor big. It is normal to define a macro lens as one which is capable of creating an image on your sensor as large as or larger than the subject - i.e., 100% magnification or better. Watchout for low-rent lens makers who think a macro lens is anything at all if they write "macro" on the box. It isn't.

(Arthur will be along in a minute to explain that Nikon call macro micro.)

jim
19-09-2017, 8:43pm
Well, insect photography is micro in Nikon's terminology (though referred to as macro generally) You may also hear that macro means photos where the subject appears at life size (1:1) or greater, while micro ought to mean significantly greater magnification, but in practice the words just aren't used consistently. The terminology is essentially arbitrary. Macro really means big and micro means small. Thus micro photography means photographing very small things, and macro photography means making small things look big.

You just have to put up with it, I'm afraid.

arthurking83
20-09-2017, 2:47am
....(Arthur will be along in a minute to explain that Nikon call macro micro.)

no I won't .. it's a silly situation that needs to be ignored, all blown up "to tiny bits" ... and a new start made to sort things out properly.

.... Watchout for low-rent lens makers who think a macro lens is anything at all if they write "macro" on the box. It isn't.
I only entered this thread to +1 that comment.

In saying that tho .. I think the OP answered his own question as to why Nikon call it micro and not macro.

The Wiki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_photographic_lens_design#Macro_lens) explains it well, and why Nikon is correct and all other's not!
Because of one sly lens maker(this Kilfitt mob) the world of close up photography was changed forever! .. and everyone else sheepishly followed the party line!

Needless to say, if you see a Nikon(branded, not fitment) lens and it says Macro in it's name, it ain't going to be low-rent, or cheap .. in fact you may have to sell your house to afford some.

landyvlad
20-09-2017, 1:55pm
So are they macro lenses, for micro photography?!

arthurking83
20-09-2017, 2:30pm
So are they macro lenses, for micro photography?!

Dunno .. depends on your point of view.
But being anti everything .. I'd say they're 'micro lenses for macro photography'

swifty
25-09-2017, 1:41pm
Cos it's macro-fying the micro world :)

martycon
06-10-2017, 12:07am
Thanks for asking the question. The answers and points of view are interesting. I have always understood that kangaroos were dubbed "macropod" as having big feet, but never considered that in relation th the photographic use of the word. Our language seldom has prcise meanings, except in a mathematical or scientific sense.
cheers marty.

ameerat42
07-10-2017, 1:27pm

Eg macro -economics. Why isn't insect photography micro instead of macro?

Fair Q.

It's called "macro" because a macro lens makes the image on your sensor big. It is normal to define a macro lens as one which is capable of creating an image on your sensor as large as or larger than the subject - i.e., 100% magnification or better. Watchout for low-rent lens makers who think a macro lens is anything at all if they write "macro" on the box. It isn't.

My answer was a paraphrase of Tannins: that it enLARGEs the scale of image reproduction.

Well, insect photography is micro in Nikon's terminology (though referred to as macro generally)...[/I]
Which shows that Nikon is just plain wr:eek:ng!

...You just have to put up with it, I'm afraid...
If you follow Nikon:p

Cos it's macro-fying the micro world :)
More-or-less.