PDA

View Full Version : Travel query

Plays With Light
27-08-2017, 4:40pm
Howdy folks,

I'm starting to pack the bags for my trip to Brisbane, leaving early Tuesday morning and wondered about whether it is good practice to separate all lenses from the camera body before jetting off?

I'm taking my backpack, which will have four lenses, one flash, and one camera body, along with various other goodies I need.

My train of logic tells me to separate the lenses from the body, so even if the bag gets knocked around, nothing will get damaged.

Thanks for any input you may offer me.

Alex

robz
27-08-2017, 8:52pm
If i am flying, I always take my main gear as carry-on. Wife hates 'wasting' the cabin space but there are priorities.

Plays With Light
27-08-2017, 9:10pm
If i am flying, I always take my main gear as carry-on. Wife hates 'wasting' the cabin space but there are priorities.
I'm definitely taking it all, except for the monopod and tripod as carry on luggage, Rob. What I'm not sure about is whether it's advisable to separate my main lens from the body before heading off? I travel on the train into the city with my main lens attached all the time. Mind you, the backpack is firmly on my lap then, rather than getting knocked around in overhead. I guess I've answered my own query in a roundabout way.

Tannin
27-08-2017, 9:12pm
Can't see how having them packed individually would make any difference.

Plays With Light
27-08-2017, 9:28pm
Can't see how having them packed individually would make any difference.
The concern of a sudden force being applied to a lens whilst attached to a body and any possible misalignment thereafter is what I'm worried about, Tony.

Mary Anne
27-08-2017, 10:05pm
If the aircraft is anything like what I have been on when traveling with my backpack, the overhead Luggage compartments are all jams packed with bags/cases.
And I doubt if they would move much if at all Alex. You don't have another camera body do you I prefer to take two when on Holiday.
I guess that would be on your Wish List if you haven't.

Plays With Light
27-08-2017, 10:10pm
If the aircraft is anything like what I have been on when traveling with my backpack, the overhead Luggage compartments are all jams packed with bags/cases.
And I doubt if they would move much if at all Alex. You don't have another camera body do you I prefer to take two when on Holiday.
I guess that would be on your Wish List if you haven't.
Thanks, Mary Anne, I guess it should be pretty chockas in the overhead area.

I only have the one body at the moment, am saving up for a good crop body though, especially as I'm enjoying the wildlife photography and macro so much. :nod:

ameerat42
28-08-2017, 9:17am
It's quite R:rolleyes::rolleyes:D of some passengers to cram their carp into "your space".
However, there's always the space under the seat in front of you (depending on
where you sit).

Plays With Light
28-08-2017, 9:37am
It's quite R:rolleyes::rolleyes:D of some passengers to cram their carp into "your space".
However, there's always the space under the seat in front of you (depending on
where you sit).
Too true, AM, some people just don't give a damn about other peoples belongings or where they squish their stuff in on flights. I've made sure all the lenses are wrapped/padded well, and the backpack is pretty firm and well padded too, so all should be pretty well indestructible. That is, until some burly security guard wants to unwrap it all... :eek:

TwinII
30-08-2017, 9:00pm
I usually travel with one lens attached to my body and the rest separated. Make sure you carry it on. I usually put my tripod(s) in my suitcase and carry the rest.

Plays With Light
31-08-2017, 12:41pm
I usually travel with one lens attached to my body and the rest separated. Make sure you carry it on. I usually put my tripod(s) in my suitcase and carry the rest.

Flew up on Tuesday morning and had all the bits separated from each other. Took it on board with me and everything was good. Went out whale watching yesterday and got some cool pictures of them and the dolphin feeding too as well as some good shots of Moreton Island at sunset. Have got my sunset and long exposure shots planned out now and will grab them over the next four days.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170831/986cad77b44b1ac86907e43ba15c2694.jpg

This was sunset on Tuesday night from our hotel room in the CBD of Brisbane, taken with my mobile phone.

vharperv
03-09-2017, 5:38pm
Howdy folks,

I'm starting to pack the bags for my trip to Brisbane, leaving early Tuesday morning and wondered about whether it is good practice to separate all lenses from the camera body before jetting off?

I'm taking my backpack, which will have four lenses, one flash, and one camera body, along with various other goodies I need.

My train of logic tells me to separate the lenses from the body, so even if the bag gets knocked around, nothing will get damaged.

Alex

Who are you flying with alex..just check weight retrictions for cabin baggage.. I have taken all my gear and Qantas,Air Nz and jet star have queried the weight but when I told them them what it was they were more interested in checking out the long lens. aNd I had no
problem. bring shorts and jumpers :nod: its still really cold in the morning but hot during the day

- - - Updated - - -

Howdy folks,

Alex

Who are you flying with alex..just check weight retrictions for cabin baggage.. I have taken all my gear and Qantas,Air Nz and jet star have queried the weight but when I told them them what it was they were more interested in checking out the long lens. aNd I had no
problem. bring shorts and jumpers :nod: its still really cold in the morning but hot during the day

Plays With Light
08-09-2017, 3:06pm
We flew both ways with Jetstar, Vera. No problems with weight or carrying the equipment on board with me. I was in shorts and a T-shirt for the entire time we were there, while there were locals running around in jumpers and cardie's! :eek: I'd love to live there for the climate, but the better half doesn't do humidity at all, so it's not even a slight possibility, unfortunately.

I only discovered that there was a bus up to Mt Coot-tha on our final day, so was a bit disappointed to not grab a sunset image from up there, maybe next time.

Had a kidney-stone kick in on Saturday and spent about 6 hours in emergency, getting various blood tests and imaging done. The pains gone now, but it still hasn't passed as yet, will be seeing the Urology department here in Adelaide next week for further treatment.