PDA

View Full Version : From Jim's Mowing to Jim's... umm.. Photography

ricktas
08-08-2017, 1:53pm
Clicky HERE (https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/1153300573?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms)

and feel free to discuss.

Cage
08-08-2017, 2:17pm
Would you like fries with your photos Sir? :eek:

MattNQ
08-08-2017, 2:31pm
All good. Mows your lawn, does your books and then takes your wedding photos all on the same day :lol:

Cage
08-08-2017, 2:37pm
All good. Mows your lawn, does your books and then takes your wedding photos all on the same day :lol:

You forgot to get the dog washed. :lol2:

Can't have a smelly pooch at the wedding. :(

ricktas
08-08-2017, 2:58pm
Maybe I need to get them to come round, take some photos and clean my dog..cause he had fun in a mud hole this morning...

bobt
08-08-2017, 3:24pm
Gawd!! What next .......

Jim's DumbDown Service .... we promise to take any reputable occupation, pursuit or intellectually stimulating activity and reduce it to the lowest point on the IQ scale possible. Do you have surplus brain cells? Let Jim remove them for just a once off payment of everything you've got plus anything you might have in the future. We guarantee peace of mind ... er, sorry, a piece of your mind will never be the same again.

Where do I sign !!!! :eek:

ameerat42
08-08-2017, 3:30pm
Jim's Rodeos - Watch Jim buck too:nod:

MattNQ
08-08-2017, 3:40pm
This is my favourite Jims business (suspect it may not be legit)
https://i.imgur.com/Mo4jb54.jpg

jim
08-08-2017, 4:00pm
I would just like to make it known that I do not personally endorse this service.

Hawthy
08-08-2017, 4:34pm
I would just like to make it known that I do not personally endorse this service.

Maybe not, but you do have an ready-made alternative if you want to change your avatar. ;)

Hamster
08-08-2017, 5:32pm
Unfortunately, if the market is there, is it the suppliers fault that what is required is something you consider dumbed down.
What I find interesting is that it costs $22.5k, and they guarantee $50k over the next 9 months. So if I do nothing for 9 months I double my investment! Where do I sign?

Plays With Light
08-08-2017, 5:50pm
Unfortunately, if the market is there, is it the suppliers fault that what is required is something you consider dumbed down.
What I find interesting is that it costs $22.5k, and they guarantee $50k over the next 9 months. So if I do nothing for 9 months I double my investment! Where do I sign?
You omitted the cost of the startup package, which they fail to mention the actual cost of.

Territories are available in your area from$22,500 plus a start up package of promotional and marketing material, vehicle sign writing, uniforms, laptop and software, AIPP membership, website, marketing assistance, display albums, photographic equipment and much much more.
As the startup package includes all that stuff, which most photographers already have, I suspect it's not cheap to get.

Geoff79
08-08-2017, 5:52pm

Glad you mentioned that because I just thought I understood wrong. But yeah, not a bad deal if you a, had $22.5k to spare and b, were unemployed.

To give up a job to give this a go, however, may not be a wise move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamster
08-08-2017, 6:44pm
Glad you mentioned that because I just thought I understood wrong. But yeah, not a bad deal if you a, had $22.5k to spare and b, were unemployed.

To give up a job to give this a go, however, may not be a wise move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect that what is actually guaranteed is, as it says, work, rather than income. And while they may value it at 1400 the customer might not.
But for someone who's thinking about starting a business it could be a start, with a target to outgrow it and sell up or maybe run another business in parallel using the knowledge and contacts gained. A bit like how a supplier will have a premium version of a product, but also grab the lower end of the market by also selling it in a cheaper package for a lower margin.

Plays with Light has probably got a point re the start up package too.

paulheath
08-08-2017, 7:22pm
From AIPP

"A few members have asked us to comment on the recent advert from the startup business, Jim's Photography.

So to clarify...
The AIPP has no official nor unofficial relationship with Jim's Photography. We have not endorsed nor condemned this business. We are however aware that one of the two owners of this start up business, Mark Hill is an ex AIPP member. Mark approached us some months ago to ask if there was any way the AIPP could provide a pathway for any Jim's photographer to become an Accredited Professional Photographer, as he was a firm believer in the AIPP Professional Development program and he wanted his business to be a part of, and respect the profession of photography.

Our response was simple. Accreditation can only be awarded to an individual photographer (not a business) and our accreditation requirements are certified by the ACCC. Any Jim's photographer who wanted to become an Accredited Professional would need to go through the same process as every other applicant. We did suggest to them that if they wanted their photographers to benefit from our professional development program, and if they did want to respect the profession, they should encourage their franchisees to become AIPP emerging members, and develop their skills and business practices along the way to becoming accredited, like all other new entrants into the profession.

It seems that they took this advice...
Their business model suggests that every successful franchise applicant will have their AIPP emerging membership funded out of their franchise fee. They will still need to go through the same application process as any other emerging member and will be subject to the same portfolio review as all emerging member applicants.

Sadly, what they did wrong was to suggest in their initial advert on Gumtree that applicants would become "Accredited Professional Photographers".

When we became aware of this we informed them they were guilty of the tort of "passing off". They very quickly removed any reference to this term and apologised profusely for their mistake (blaming their copywriters). This demonstrates that, as we have done in the past, we will react swiftly and strongly to protect the "Accredited Professional Photographer" brand.

BUT...we have to be aware that this initiative is representative of a new kind of business model, a "disruption" model heralded by the likes of Snappr and Unsplash. The entry pathways into our profession is changing as a result of many factors, and we, the AIPP have to be constantly aware of these changes and disruptions and be prepared to react appropriately.

markdphotography
13-08-2017, 1:56pm
Interesting reading. Strong claims made by Jim's but I see this no differently to purchasing say a photography business and as such paying "goodwill" for an existing business (AIPP claims aside). The real challenge that any business that has intellectual property as an asset is how does the owner sell the business when they want to relocate, retire or change business? It appears they have a lot of confidence in their business model and have failed to attract photographers from traditional methods. On saying that I am not sure that Gumtree is the best marketing method to attract potentil clients. ON saying that Jim's Mowing have been a long established franchise that have continued to expand and prosper? As a photogrphaer and small business owner, I purchased a picture framing business in 2010 to compliment my photography skills. From personal exprience (I also have a MBA), the road to making and growing a photography business is a long and tough journey. I have entered and won many competitions and exhibitions and even had an exhibition at Tweed Galery in 2012 that was reasonably successful (around $9,000 is sales). Building a photography business when the whole world is a photographer is a tough road and I don't see it getting easier in the near future.

markdphotography
20-08-2017, 4:23pm
I sent them an email last week via their website - 5 working days later no reply. Must be flat out mowing lawns.

ivans75
27-08-2017, 7:23pm
I ve been giggling all the way reading all the comments here.
But looking at the bright side, this might be an opportunity? who knows. They have the network and having a large network is the key to succesful business sometimes...
Franchise fee is the question tho, and if it is worth to pay such fee? Basically what they do is advertise and advertise. They have Jims everything so the brands might click to people's mind? who knows.
Might also be an opportunity for an existing business to increase their market coverage and portfolio? Maybe people will look for Jim when they want to wed? Could be. If the price is right and the portfolio is ready to be viewed, I would if price is right (on my next wedding maybe lol)

bobt
27-08-2017, 7:39pm
They have the network and having a large network is the key to succesful business sometimes...

Yeah ..... "sometimes" is the operative word! I must admit that whenever i see the phrase "Jim's (anything)" I turn off. I once got a quote from a franchisee, and it was so much higher than non-franchised people. Problem is, you have to sacrifice your autonomy and a big front end cut before you start making money, and the customers pay that mark-up! These days advertising is so much easier with the web - you can do it so cheaply!

Mind you, I'd hate to start a photographic business ..... too many cameras out there, and I know so many photographers who could do a great job at a fraction of the cost of professionals. Sorry to all the pros out there, but I think it's a cow of a way to make a living these days. (I'll just go to my bomb shelter .....) 8*)

ameerat42
27-08-2017, 8:18pm
Bob, belay that thought!!!:angry34: I reckon that with a monosyllabic name like yours you could be stiff
competition to the likes of Jim's.

Imagine chains of enterprises like:
Bob't Mauling
Bob't Bandanas
Bob't Plum...-bobs:eek:

The list is endless... (except I seem to have come to the end:o)

bobt
27-08-2017, 9:42pm
Bob, belay that thought!!!:angry34: I reckon that with a monosyllabic name like yours you could be stiff
competition to the likes of Jim's.

Imagine chains of enterprises like:
Bob't Mauling
Bob't Bandanas
Bob't Plum...-bobs:eek:

The list is endless... (except I seem to have come to the end:o)

You forgot the appeal to an untapped market .... the dyslexics !! Spell my name backwards and no-one notices the difference. :D

True story: I ordered a coffee once at Tullamarine, and the guy asks customer's names so that he can call them when the coffee is ready. He said "What's your name?" I said "Bob". He said "How do you spell that ?" :confused013

ivans75
28-08-2017, 9:33pm
Bobt, I think it is the same as every business. Look how many cafes out there but yet a new cafe still pops up every now and then. And I think , there are more baristas or even cooks (or those who claim knows how to cook) than photographers . And some new cafes do make a good job and do survive. I think it is the same with photography, yes everyone can buy a cheap aps-c dslr or even a second hand full frame and 2-3 lenses and print a business card telling everyone he is a photographer and cut prince down, but in the end it comes to how he gives the best service, and not just that, I think we are talking about talent here and talents are sometimes unique and has its own niche market. A starter photographer might undercut others for his service but he wont survive if he keeps doing that, and that is if he got the talent. If I am going to get married, I want my photographer to seize that happy moment, not just because he is cheap. If he is cheap and shoot crap pics I d rather employ my nephew to do it with his old IXUS digital camera.

I met a lady photographer at my local camera shop in ringwood. She works there almost everyday and she regularly exhibits her landscape photography works at her local market, went to her website and boy, that girls got talent. I love her works. Simple but nice.

I have seen some PRO photographer galleries that dont interest me at all, but I've seen galleries of amateur photographers like that lady photographer, that I like better. Photography is an art, if I have the talent for it, I wouldnt mind to make it a little venture and sell your work of art, it is your hard work after all. As for me, I think it is bit too late to make a venture out of it, with 3 little boys and a steady job, I dont think I can get out of the comfort zone and try something that I am not even confident i have the talent for it haha. So, I would rather stay as an amateur , just for a hobby. It is a good hobby to clear out your head and see many things wonderful and make new friends

bobt
28-08-2017, 10:33pm
I have seen some PRO photographer galleries that dont interest me at all, but I've seen galleries of amateur photographers like that lady photographer, that I like better. Photography is an art, if I have the talent for it, I wouldnt mind to make it a little venture and sell your work of art, it is your hard work after all. As for me, I think it is bit too late to make a venture out of it, with 3 little boys and a steady job, I dont think I can get out of the comfort zone and try something that I am not even confident i have the talent for it haha. So, I would rather stay as an amateur , just for a hobby. It is a good hobby to clear out your head and see many things wonderful and make new friends

Exactly. I've seen some amazing amateurs in camera clubs - some of them are right here! I've also looked at lots of pros whose work really isn't all that exceptional (to my eyes, anyway). If I was looking for a photographer, I think I'd be looking at the amateurs who take great photos but don't have to earn a living from it. Once you start relying on it for a living you have to pay for all the trimmings of a pro, and that boosts the whole cost of it. Same deal with lots of things these days - the overheads for someone trying to earn a living mean that we have to pay more for their services, but if you can bypass that obstacle everyone wins (except the pros). Airtasker is one such example, as is eBay and all of the other marketplaces which have done away with the bricks and mortar base.

It's a changing world, and I for one am very glad I no longer have to earn a living. That's often a precarious necessity these days - especially when resources which were previously only available to professionals are now in the hands of every man and his dog.

markdphotography
21-11-2017, 12:13pm
I sent them an email last week via their website - 5 working days later no reply. Must be flat out mowing lawns.

Update

I got this email late October

Thanksfor your interest in Jim's Photography and Drones, Australia's newest lifestylebusiness.

Wehave received an inordinate amount of enquiries and we are still working onclearing the backlog.

I'dlove to help answer any questions you might have so could I suggest a briefchat by phone to initially acquaint each other and make sure our goals align.I'd like to find out about your experience, your current situation and yourpersonal reason for looking into this opportunity at this time.

Couldyou either call me back on ??????????? or forward a contact number and good timeto call?

Thanksagain for your interest.

I replied

A little disappointed that the response has been so long (over 2 ½ months) and I have pursued other options at this stage.

I hope your franchise support system can adjust to all the enquiries and assist franchisees better if I was to follow this up any further.

Please remove me from your Expression Of Interest list.

There still may be an opening for Bob's Drones?