PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know how...

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 3:05pm
...to stop a smart phone from turning the ring volume down "by itself" so
that you don't have to miss calls?:eek::eek::eek:

Various models: S5, Sony Xperia, and HTC...

Ta.

Plays With Light
07-08-2017, 3:33pm
With most smartphones you actually have two different volumes to adjust, one if you adjust it when on a call to someone adjusts the listening volume and another when not using the phone that changes the ringer volume.

You haven't accidentally set them to silent perhaps? Usually a switch on most phones for that one.

- - - Updated - - -

You could possibly have "Ascending Ringtone" active on your phone, AM.

If you go to 'Settings'
Then go to 'Sound'
Then uncheck 'Ascending Ringtone'
It should fix it up for you. :nod:

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 3:47pm
No. I should have said that I went through and checked every setting related to sounds, ringtones, power saving...
--and have come up with nothing. Everything "looks right".

And just before this reply I tried:
- Press volume button down while screen is blank.
- Press volume button down while screensaver is on.
- Press Camera button (just in case it has a hidden function) while screen is blank and again
with screensaver.

There was NO effect on volume setting.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, PS: Does Ascending Ringtone guarantee the volume does not go to zero by itself?

Plays With Light
07-08-2017, 4:00pm
Oh, PS: Does Ascending Ringtone guarantee the volume does not go to zero by itself?
With it checked, you can set the minimum volume you want it to start at. I'd try having it checked and set the starting volume to full and see what that does. I'd also try having it unchecked.

Some folks online have mentioned that they have volume issues after they have plugged in headphones with a mic on them, you could try plugging in your headphones, if they have a mic on them, and try adjusting the volume on the actual headphones through the controls on them.

Just out of interest, AM, which version of Android are they using? It's a widely reported fault of Lollipop.

- - - Updated - - -

Just discovered a suggestion of turning off 'Voice Answer' and then turning off 'Ascending Ringtone'. Which had many thank you responses to it.

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 4:14pm
My little old (but apart from the Sound of Occasional Silence good) Xperia has 4.1.2, its max.
The S5 has whatever its latest is. I do not have it here at the moment.

Plays With Light
07-08-2017, 4:51pm
You haven't accidentally pulled down from the top of the screen getting into the quick set panel and muted it from there, AM?

If you have Voice Answer active, you need the phone to be screen side up in order to answer it. If the screen side is facing downwards, the phone thinks it's sleeping.

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 4:57pm
No to both the above. I always check that menu for other things.
And also... I cannot find "Ascending Ringtone". - Looked everywhere:confused013

ricktas
07-08-2017, 5:01pm
There is also another setting, that lets you set it based on location and day/time. I have mine set so that it goes silent when the GPS detects that I am at work.

It is under 'do not disturb preferences' : automatic rules : (only available on Android 5.0-5.1 and above) find it here -> Settings : Sound : Do Not Disturb Preferences.

The GPS option only appears to be available using Android 8 (I am a Beta Tester).

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 5:02pm
Ta, Rick. I will check the S5 later. Certainly, this little Xperia does not have that.

Plays With Light
07-08-2017, 5:30pm
And also... I cannot find "Ascending Ringtone". - Looked everywhere:confused013
Should be there under Settings: Sound. It might be called something different if you are using a version of Android tweaked by the phone manufacturer.

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 6:10pm
--And I'm sure I saw it there before... Some time ago...:confused013
I'll have another good look in a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Just checked the S5. It has version 6.0.1, and Nope! I cannot locate
"Ascending Ringtone" in its menus, either. -- Too bad!

Plays With Light
07-08-2017, 7:28pm
Looks like you might need to buy an app for that, AM. Which is a scam if you ask me.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shumoapp.disableincreasingring&hl=en

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 7:32pm
Well, I certainly won't, thanks 4 the heads up. I am still mucking around, and have tried removing the
Sounds (looks like a speaker) icon from the pull-down panel at the top of the G S5. Apparently, it's
implicated somehow.

tandeejay
07-08-2017, 7:49pm
Could be one of the apps you've installed doing it. if it is happening on multiple phones, perhaps you've installed the same rogue app on all the phones...

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 7:56pm
Ta, Tands. I can't think of any off hand, as I don't have many installed.:umm:
Will cast an eye over them, anyway.

Gazza
07-08-2017, 8:00pm
Mine slipped out of the top pocket the other day. It's not so smart anymore...:rolleyes:

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 8:15pm
Mine slipped out of the top pocket the other day.
Mine didn't...

It's not so smart anymore...:rolleyes:
...and it isn't, either:rolleyes:

mpb
07-08-2017, 8:40pm
So many phones and system versions all doing the same thing?
Very strange, have you checked the operator? :eek:
Maybe time for a factory reset (phone not operator).

tandeejay
07-08-2017, 8:50pm
Not sure if these are relevant:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Android/Volume-goes-up-and-down/td-p/1116602
https://androidforums.com/threads/why-does-ringer-volume-keep-going-down.919512/
http://www.galaxys4forums.net/forum/12-galaxy-s4-help/1749-s4-keeps-turning-down-ringtone-incall-volume-its-own.html

ameerat42
07-08-2017, 9:34pm
Ta, Tands. Reading...

mpb
07-08-2017, 10:01pm
Some have suggested AVG has caused this issue. No sure if above posts have included this.