PDA

View Full Version : The impact of photography

The dingo
09-07-2017, 3:32pm
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4009/35619284532_878afd39e7_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Wgy9ko)_DSF7009 (https://flic.kr/p/Wgy9ko) by Tom Dinning (https://www.flickr.com/photos/148948051@N05/), on Flickr

What's she thinking? At what level are the photographs relevant to her? What is she learning? What is the function of the photographs? How important is technique, camera, sharpness?

bobt
09-07-2017, 10:45pm
What's she thinking? At what level are the photographs relevant to her? What is she learning? What is the function of the photographs? How important is technique, camera, sharpness?

I'm about to be confronted with just those questions. My 13 yo granddaughter has asked me to teach her how to use a camera! Now there's a challenge!:eek:

jim
09-07-2017, 10:58pm
What's she thinking?

"I want to be a rally car driver."

The dingo
09-07-2017, 11:27pm
I'm about to be confronted with just those questions. My 13 yo granddaughter has asked me to teach her how to use a camera! Now there's a challenge!:eek:

13! What's been holding you back, Bob. This young lady is my great grand daughter. She's 6 and has been using my cameras and taking pictures since she was old enough to hold one.
she started with an iPad mini. Great for getting the feel of what framing is all about. She's since moved to using my Fuji X-E2 and she especially likes the Nikon 1 V3.
Pat that age there is no necessity to explain about the technicalities. Auto everything with a fixed focal length lens is quite suitable.
the important thing for kids is to concentrate on recording what they see that excites them, which is very different from adults. Kids are not fussed by a bit of blur or slight anomalies in exposure. They just want to have fun.
ive taught all my grand kids to use the cameras they have or use mine. I value their education far more than my cameras. Kelsey, the 13 year old was using my Nikon D3 when she was 8. Her composition is spot on.
Have fun

- - - Updated - - -

The photos on display are historical records of Cyclone Tracey which destroyed Darwin in 1974. The significance of the photos to her is they allow her to connect to the past. She now has a better understanding of what happened then. During her tour of the display she asked so many questions relating to the images and listened intently at descriptions of the things she saw.
she is learning to understand the significance of photographs and how they can change our perspective of the world. From this she will have her own experiences and be able to pass that on. She might even find her attitudes changing as she observes through the images.

we live in an age where this is possible. It's only been possible for 190 years.
Photographs are not just about aesthetics. They are not just about how it is taken or its technical attributes.
Somewhere, in your enthusiasm, give some time and space for the other parts of photography often taken for granted.

- - - Updated - - -

"I want to be a rally car driver."

Not this black duck, Jim. She's as sharp as a tack. She wants to be an archaeologist. She prefers to read than watch TV. She's already written 2books for her class to read. It was her idea to go to the museum. She listens to the news each morning, speaks in her indigenous tongue, has a vocabulary bigger than most teens and a sense of humor like her great grand dad. She's my very best friend. I prefer to talk to her than most other people.

jim
09-07-2017, 11:31pm
She sounds brilliant, and it was a thoughtful post. Apologies for being facetious (though i'm afraid I always will be.)

Glenda
10-07-2017, 8:39am
I can't answer what she was thinking, or the relevance etc but when it comes to social documentary photographs I don't think the technical aspects of photography are anywhere near as important than the impact they have on the viewer. I wish I lived closer as I would love to see this display.

I remember that Christmas and the impact of Tracy well, no I wasn't in Darwin but did have friends who were. I think it caused building regulations in cyclone areas to be tightened and also improved the efficiency of how we deal with such disasters. When the recent Cyclone Debby was approaching the Rockhampton showgrounds were packed with Ergon trucks, army, SES and fire personnel, all just waiting for it to cross the coast and get to the area as quickly as possible. Thankfully Australia deals with such disasters well.

I remember my eldest son wanting to be an archaeologist - but that was because he was going through an Indiana Jones phase:D. It sounds like you have a beautiful relationship with your great granddaughter.